VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at in-line fuel pumps to drive my soon to be 400WHP+ capable car. I wanted a pump that would do the job, but would take me farther, if I wanted to go. A Walbro 255lph in-line is about 150 or 200 (is this right?). I don't mind paying to play, so I found this:
http://216.242.145.16/products/product.phtml?p=2
Now I know it might seem retarded to get a pump this big, but I'll never have to buy another one, right? I assume that since this thing flows so much and my 400WHP car couldn't possibly use all of it, that most of the fuel would be pumped always through the return line? Is this necissarily a bad thing? I am sure this thing, based on what I see, would keep up with ANYTHING I could ever imagine doing?

Modified by Super1.8T at 2:45 PM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Re: How's this for overkill? (Super1.8T)

I don't see how thta could reall be bad, unless it somehow over pressurizes the fule lines.
On a side note: In the description it says for vehicles making up to 1600hp NA or 1100hp FI. Ok so 1100hp FI I've heard of, but what in the hell motor makes 1600hp naturlly asperated????

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How's this for overkill? (Tristan)

It scares me to put this HUGE pump on and think about the stock lines. Hell, I'd be willing to bet that more fuel would be pumped bypass than used!
Only car I know of in that power range, I think, was a Granatelli (sp?) Motorsport Supernatural 15:1 compression ratio motor.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (turbo 20v)

I suppose I could run 2 Walbros, but with this monster, I could just have the plumbing and electrical for 1 pump. I'm getting scared to think what might happen to the stock pump and pickup, subejcted to that much fuel.
List is about $419 from http://www.summitracing.com, summit part number AEI-11104.

Modified by Super1.8T at 3:16 PM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (Super1.8T)

It has come to my attention that this pump would heat the fuel too much. Oh well, I guess I should just go back to the old tried and true!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

I hope that thing comes with ear plugs, because it's going to sound like heard of angry cattle when it's running.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
or if u whant to be diff and use something ells then the tryed and true walbro . pick up this months turbo mag .. they have a fat a$$ section on aftermarket and oem fuel pump comparo ..

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Re: (turbo 20v)

lol... 45psi.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

·
Registered
5,130 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Super1.8T »
It has come to my attention that this pump would heat the fuel too much. Oh well, I guess I should just go back to the old tried and true!

you will just need the aeromotive billet fuel computer to monitor the voltage to the pump so that it doesnt run as hard as it can all the time and w/ your size fuel tank you will be fine. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I am running the Aeromotive a1000 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://216.242.145.16/products/product.phtml?p=31

Modified by Lag at 3:25 PM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Lag)

Okay, been doing some homework.
Let's say I am running (4) 580cc injectors. Those are roughly 55 lb/hr. At 100% duty cycle (which you'd hopefully never see, for saftey margin calculation only), there had better be 2320cc/min of fuel to those injectors. Now the Walbro inline pump is rated at 255l/hr. That roughly equates to 4250cc/min. 4250 - 2320 = 1930. So at absoulte full load, there is 1930cc/min to play with. But, I assume the Walbro pump is rated at 3bar? 1930 may seem a lot, but what happens to the flow of the Walbro 255 when the FPR turns up the pressure? Lets say I am boosting 35psi (I know just for safety margin calculation). I wonder how close to the line I am when the Walbro now sees 3bar FP + 35 psi more = about 79psi of fuel? Anyone know?
Oh, rracerguy717, nice link!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Okay, now I just leanred that Walbro makes two versions of the 255lph, a standard and a high pressure version.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts

I have the Aeromotive. It's actually not that loud, and will fuel my 580's with no problem. The only thing I'm considering is the Aeromotive controller, to take some stress off under cruising. Another alternative is to hook the fuel pump up to an RPM switch and run with the stock pump until the Big Red is needed.
Pat

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (Patrick Schmidt)

Even if I wanted to run the Aeromotive, how in the world would I get those big lines in the stock tank? I can't even find any pickup screen or dip tubes to look at on the web. Anyone know where I can find generic pickup screens to look at and buy?

·
Banned
2,672 Posts
Re: (BIGwayner)

Quote, originally posted by BIGwayner »
get the eliminator then go around draining peoples swimming pools, it'll pay for itself in a month.

haha!!!!! lol

yeah i say stick with good ol' walbro... the 255lph should be fine

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (1.8T3t04e)

Quote, originally posted by 1.8T3t04e »

haha!!!!! lol

yeah i say stick with good ol' walbro... the 255lph should be fine

Yes Steve, you're right, and after doing the math, I have learned one thing:
Anything Steve says and does, DON'T question it, it works, will work, and he's done more homework than you can imagine

1 - 20 of 39 Posts