VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searching for a way to get power to the cabin of my 2000 Golf for an audio install I explored a few options. Unfortunately I don't have a drive-by-wire MKIV so the throttle cable grommet that is empty on a lot of MKIV's is already in use on my car. I poked around the firewall inside and outside of the car but I didn't have any luck finding an unused hole and was tired of making the pile of dash pieces on my garage floor bigger and bigger.
I saw a post that referred to snaking a wire through a cover in the windshield wiper cowl and decided to investigate. I found a way to get a wire (or many wires) from the engine compartment to the inside of the car.
1) Remove windshield wipers. Pry off bolt covers, 13mm bolt, wiggle arms until they come off.
2) Remove the Cabin Air Filter cover (4 screws, phillips head)
3) Remove the Windshield Wiper Cowl. This pries up from the windshield. Easiest way to get it out is pry it up about 1/2" (perpindicular to windshield) and then to get it out of the way, move it towards the roof of the car. I was able to do this with just my fingertips, I'de advise trying it this way first to avoid scratching or cracking your windshield.
4) Remove 3 bolts that hold windshield wiper motor assembly. 10mm bolts. Remove the electrical plug from the bottom of the motor. Lift out assembly. You now have access to the white plastic lid to the wiring harness plugs.
5) Open the lid latches and rock the lid off (it might be sticky from being seated).

6) There will be two rubber blocks on the front of the plastic box, one for the existing harnesses, and one blank. Pull out the blank one.
7) I just had one wire to run so I made a hole in the rubber blank a little smaller than the wire I was running through so I would seal snugly around the wire and not allow any moisture to get in.

8) Run the wire down into the dash area and replace the rubber blank in the front of the plastic box.

9) Remove the 2 plastic dash panels and 1 metal kick panel from underneath the steering wheel. Phillips and torx screws abound. You should see the wire you ran hanging in the space behind these panels. Route the wire where you want it and pull through as much length as you need now while you have the dash apart. Don't do what is pictured here and have the wire running through one of the relay brackets

For my application I went behind the molding for the hood release and door opening to the back of the car. Button the dash back up.

10) Time to finish up under the hood. Button up the plastic cover making sure all the hinges and clips are engaged tightly. To run my wire to the engine bay I drilled a hole inbetween the cowl area and engine bay and installed a rubber grommet to protect the wire.

11) Reinstall the wiper motor assembly. I suggest squeezing some dielectric grease into the wiper motor plug since it can get moist in the cowl. Reinstall cowl molding, positioning is critical. Also you'll probably have to bang it with the heel of your hand to get it to snap back into place. Be careful since you are putting pressure on your windshield! Reinstall Air Cabin Filter cover and windshield wipers.
12) You're done, at least with what I cover in this HOWTO. Now finish up wiring under the hood and inside the cabin.
This process is involved but I was happy with the results. I wanted a clean install and I wasn't comfortable drilling any new holes in the firewall. With that said, I hope my next car is drive by wire so I can use that extra grommet instead of tearing the car down

-- Dave

Modified by dmann at 8:17 PM 6-24-2006

·
Banned
592 Posts
Re: HOWTO: MKIV Wires Thru Firewall via Windshield Wiper Cowl (dmann)

good write up.. but there are easyer ways.. tap into a Key on Hot wire, tap into a fuse with an inline fuse, from Battery to a switch to where u want the power, lots of different ways.. but i liked how u did it.. nice job

·
Registered
26,859 Posts
Re: HOWTO: MKIV Wires Thru Firewall via Windshield Wiper Cowl (20vtTurboJetta)

you can also drill a hole through the firewall and then place a grommet in there. good write up though, i'll be bookmarking this http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Re: HOWTO: MKIV Wires Thru Firewall via Windshield Wiper Cowl (bigmak)

use the grommet that's already in use...take it out and stretch the whole... I have a fat audio power wire, audio lighting, fog lights - every wire possible through the whole - i should take a pick it's funny really...

·
Registered
22,362 Posts
Re: HOWTO: MKIV Wires Thru Firewall via Windshield Wiper Cowl (HarrisonBCarter)

Cool, well at least you did all the reasearch yourself and did a great job.
Awesome dude, and congrats for having the ballz to do something different. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: HOWTO: MKIV Wires Thru Firewall via Windshield Wiper Cowl (tysO)

Hi.
Any chance of seeing a photo from someone of where the spare grommet is supposed to be on a drive by wire car?
I've had the covers off under the wheel and i still cant see the spare hole.
Thanks.

·
Registered
26,859 Posts
Re: HOWTO: MKIV Wires Thru Firewall via Windshield Wiper Cowl (180_turbo)

Quote, originally posted by 180_turbo »
Hi.
Any chance of seeing a photo from someone of where the spare grommet is supposed to be on a drive by wire car?
I've had the covers off under the wheel and i still cant see the spare hole.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Re: HOWTO: MKIV Wires Thru Firewall via Windshield Wiper Cowl (bigmak)

Quote, originally posted by bigmak »

Thats what I used...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Re: HOWTO: MKIV Wires Thru Firewall via Windshield Wiper Cowl (viper_04649)

theres a unused grommet under the drivers side. you have to remove the trim under the steering column, that is just over the pedals, then peel back the carpeting. go find a wire hanger too, so you can guide the wire thru the wall and into the engine bay.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.