VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im wonderin how much HP i may have when im done with all my work on my car...and since you guys are all so much more knowledgeable then I and mostlikly ahve done alot of the stuff i want to do i thought you all could help
this is what im goin to do
2.0 block
p/p throttle body
268 cam
TT cat back exhaust
stage 4 rebuild S/C
rs outlet
ISV reroute
FPR
eurosport IC tubes
a/c pully bipass pully
chip
what do you all think?
enough to beat a stock mustang at the track?
thanks
justin

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: HP question (JveshG60)

Probably in the 160 - 180 whp range, depending on what shape everything's in.
A question though - why are you going with a 2.0 block? Is your block shot, or are you doing that in the hopes of making more power? If your block is okay, you'd probably get more power out of head work or an alternate IC setup.
-Nate

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: HP question (SaabFan)

Daddy he once told me, "Son you be hard workin' man."
and Mamma she once told me, "Son you do the best you can."
but, then one day I met a man who came to me and said,
"Hard work good, and hard work fine, but first take care of head."

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Re: HP question (mrkrad)

What kind of Mustang, and what kind of track?
A near-stock 5.0L Mustang will have trouble beating a high 14. The current 260hp GT's are capable of a low 14, but with your average driver you may catch a few running high 14's.
Now...a stock-ish 5.0L can be slayed with a healthy Stage 4 kit + I/E. It might be possible with less, but I'm trying to stack the odds in your favor.
The late model DOHC GT's breathe far better up top than the old 302, so you'll need at LEAST the Stage 4 kit + I/E. Depending on your setup and your driving skills, that could be enough to take them (it was for me). Otherise, throw some headwork and an ignition into the mix and down they go.
PS...you don't need the 2.0 bottom end to get it done.

Modified by URIN 2ND at 12:52 PM 7-1-2003

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: HP question (URIN 2ND)

so i dont need the 2.0 block? im lookin to get the 158 stock to like 200(or high 190's)...how hard would that be? what would i have to do in addition to that other stuff?

·
Registered
8,006 Posts

158 isnt at the wheel, that's at the crank.

·
Registered
29,608 Posts

and along with the new found glory power comes alot more weight than the old 5.0 lx or coupe..
really, i wouldn't be shocked the least to smoke a 2003 mustang gt..
now the SVT that would require quite a motor to overcome.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Screw the mustang I want to be able to take a ws6. I'm talking ls1 running middle 13s. Also when you guys say stage 3, stage 4 etc. Which brand do you recomend for power vs cost?autotech, bahn brenner, etc.
I'm looking for a good kit but there are so many.

Before God I swear this Cread.

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: (sleepingg60)

my bro has a cam, exhaust, header, lid, nitto drags. he runs 12.6's consistently on his ws6.
Good luck bro. Most ws6 owners are smart enough to do the basic mods.

throw on some ls6 heads and your in the 420hp range easily. Damn the mang. American iron is wicked.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Re: (mrkrad)

Don't look to beat the likes of WS6's in an off-the-line drag race. Also, from what I've seen, the Formula Firebirds (with less options) run slightly faster ET's than do the WS6's. The fastest I have ever seen from a bone-stock F-Body was a '98 Formula running 13.1 @ 108 best.
A more typical ET/Trap would be a mid/high 13 @ 103-106 mph.
With a FWD you aren't going to match the launch of a well driven RWD F-Body (or any other RWD for that matter). But what you CAN do is pull harder once you're at speed.
I would guesstimate that the well-built Stage 4-5-6 cars are trapping between 97 and 104 mph, and this is based on a few that I have seen as well as a few that have been posted. My Stage 4 was trapping at 94 mph a long time ago.
A little juice would certainly get you well above the 100mph trap speed. Or you could do it with a little more engine work.
You said you want ~190hp compared to the stock ~158. Well, all that takes is a Stage 4 kit. Nothing else. I think BBM sells them for ~$475 ish. That seems to be a decent deal. I'm a little rusty on current kit prices though.
It will take more than 200 crank HP to whoop on a 2003 GT Mustang with any degree of authority in most cases. And it will certainly take more to handle a well driven F-Body.
However, I will say that I've beaten both an SVT Lightning and a handful of 5.7L F-Body cars at speed. So there's hope!
It'll just cost you a little more money.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Re: (URIN 2ND)

If you want a kit, go to KK, you'll get an appropriate SNS chip. Or, if you piece it out, its cheaper. I priced $264 without an ISV reroute (I don't have a boost return hose anymore, I just use a mini-K&N filter on the ISV and a crankcase breather for a Chevy 350 routed back to the second intake on the charger). It would be $303 or so with ATP's ISV reroute, all without shipping. Probably $320 or so with shipping for a Stage 2...add another $130 for a 260 cam (Stage 3) or $200 for a 268/260 (Stage 4), and you're looking at $430 or $500 with an SNS chip. Bahn Brenner's stage 3 and stage 4 are $450 and $480, respectively, but it won't be an SNS chip.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Re: (sold on expense)

I haven't seen any real variance in power from Stage 4 kits; I'd probably get what's cheaper. I was running a Garrett/GIAC chip, I've heard the BBM/Upsolute chips are good (driven an Upsolute-chipped TDi and loved it), and I am pleased with the no-lag feature on my current SNS chip.
I'd say just get whatever suits your wallet as the power will be about the same, with the exception of the Nospeed chip which is mapped for a Hobbs switch.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (URIN 2ND)

ok so this is the verdict...when i get enough money
p/p throttle body
268 cam
TT cat back exhaust
stage 4 rebuild S/C from KK
rs outlet
ISV reroute
FPR
eurosport IC tubes
a/c pully bipass pully
SNS Chip
should be a good time...when i get my SNS chip where would i get that tuned at?

·
Registered
452 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JveshG60 »
so i dont need the 2.0 block? im lookin to get the 158 stock to like 200(or high 190's)...how hard would that be? what would i have to do in addition to that other stuff?

90' black \x/ corrado- stage 5, fmic, sns, okp stage 3 head, audi intake, 276/272 cam, red top inj, cai
191.5 whp 182.3 wtq

G60RRADO
1988 posts
bay area ca.
1990 vw corrado

Modified by CrazyDragon at 11:02 AM 7-4-2003

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: HP question (CrazyDragon)

yeah someone needs to add that pic to repoman's list, enlarge it so us 15" folks can read it, and keep those images in the FAQ.

perhaps have more details on each car, so others can follow and not guess into the light

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: HP question (mrkrad)

thanks for all the help...ill get ahold of g60rrado in the future when i get more money

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: HP question (NoRiskGSixty)

Quote, originally posted by NoRiskGSixty »
i was going to do the same thing........was aiming for 200whp.....but after doing some homework on it i found out that it's really hard to make a g60 hit that #

200 may be hard but looks like 191 can be achived

1 - 17 of 17 Posts