VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HPA 20th Anniversary single turbo kit RELEASED

Since the debut of the 3.2VR6, my team at HPA has been there with our twin turbo and single turbo programs. We have pushed the imagination of the Enthusiast and challenged the top sports cars on the worldwide stage. The VW Vortex community has been there alongside our crew.

Looking at the calendar, it is tough for me to imagine it has been 20 years since I started HPA. However, when I look at my desk and see the pictures of my three kids I realize that I have grown up living and breathing Volkswagen.

The 20th anniversary edition single turbo package is like a 4th child and I am terribly proud of its release…

We have worked very hard to optimize our production methods and consolidate our performance targets to realize a technology-packed offering at a great value.

Central to this 20th Anniversary Edition turbo kit will be a state-of-the-art intake manifold with integrated air-to-water charge cooler.

In a bold move, HPA has shifted away from the Garrett Turbo cartridge for this newest single turbo offering. The 20th Anniversary turbo kits will be outfit with the latest in turbo technology drawing from the first production run of Borg Warner’s NEW single scroll EFR turbo.

The main reason for the shift in turbo manufacturers was the advantages in Borg Warner’s Gamma-Ti turbine wheels and dual ceramic ball bearing design. This new turbine rotor has extremely low inertia; requiring less time for the turbo to spool up. Combining the EFR’s breakthrough in turbo responsiveness with HPA’s new integrated air to water intake manifold will generate the most durable, responsive and expandable turbo kit yet.

The base packages will ship configured for 400hp and are configurable to 500 hp with basic upgrades to exhaust, DSG and fuel systems etc.

The HPA 20th Anniversary 400hp single turbo package is priced at $ 9,999

Applications: 3.2L VR6: 2004/2008 R32, 04-05 TT, 08-09 TT, 06-09 A3

Package Includes:

• HPA integrated air to water Cast Intake Manifold
• Complete air to water cooling system
• HPA cast exhaust manifold with integrated O2 Bungs and heat shields
• Borg Warner EFR 7670 dual ceramic ball bearing turbo
• 500mL Injectors - Mk5 includes return fuel system
• Compression reducing head spacer with bolts
• 70mm downpipe
• Proprietary Engine software

This 20 kit serialized production run will be the ultimate one stop package and in true HPA fashion will include everything you will need to wheel your prized 3.2L out of the garage as a fire breathing FI monster.

If you have had forced induction on your mind, this will be your opportunity to seize a piece of history while retrofitting your 3.2L with the latest and greatest in hardware. Give us a call at 604-598-8520 or email [email protected] if you are interested in snapping up one of these 20 limited packages.

We have a new man behind the desk at HPA… Keir has now joined Darryl and together, this duo will do their very best to follow up on your questions and concerns.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Hey Marcel - Just when I almost had myself talked into a CTS setup, you went and upped the ante!

You don't happen to have a test car close by up there do you? I would be willing to take a spin, just for the benefit of reporting back to the forum of course.

·
Registered
579 Posts
This is a terrific value. Do you offer installation services or have someone in Seattle that does?
Once the 20 kits are gone, will this be offered in your regular product line?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
This is a terrific value. Do you offer installation services or have someone in Seattle that does?
Once the 20 kits are gone, will this be offered in your regular product line?
That's exactly what I asked them earlier. 35 hours install time at HPA, spanning 2 weeks. Credit for HPA software already installed. They will continue to offer them beyond the 20th anniversary edition.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
I want an air to water cooler for a manifold! holy crap that would be awesome.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Marcel - Just when I almost had myself talked into a CTS setup, you went and upped the ante!

You don't happen to have a test car close by up there do you? I would be willing to take a spin, just for the benefit of reporting back to the forum of course.
Hi John,

The first build should be ready inside three weeks. It will have the very first production turbo from Borg on it. Then we have to sit patiently and wait for the next volume round to be shipped. When she is ready, Keir can set up a test drive with you.

There is no intercooler set up that will be more efficient than this one nor is there one with a shorter Boost track  . This is my baby and I can’t wait for your first impressions.

·
Registered
579 Posts
That's exactly what I asked them earlier. 35 hours install time at HPA, spanning 2 weeks. Credit for HPA software already installed. They will continue to offer them beyond the 20th anniversary edition.
JR - just think about how awesome this would be...! I am seriously tempted...but need to pay off my car first before I go nuts like this... It would be one of those things you do instead of getting a new car. It would be fun to keep up w/ RS4s on the track...eh? So with downpipes, DSG-flash, intake and exhaust, is the 500hp possible? This would necessitate the Haldex Controller for sure...

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I'm just trying to get some cash saved so that I can more easily justify this. You're right - it would come down to committing to the A3 for quite a while longer. I need to drive a few other cars, and the HPA before I will know what to do.

·
Banned
1,561 Posts
I'm just trying to get some cash saved so that I can more easily justify this. You're right - it would come down to committing to the A3 for quite a while longer. I need to drive a few other cars, and the HPA before I will know what to do.
I'll be happy to set you up for a test drive when its that time :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Crazy busy 2 weeks….

Sorry I have been personally off the forums. My house was hit with a 10 day flu bug just in time for my kids’ Spring Break to come in… needless to say, we never left the house!

We hope to have initial dyno plots prior to our trip into Hong Kong at the end of next week. We have upgrade paths in line for all our current FT owners. Once this 20th ann. program is shipping, we will expand our FI parts offerings in the web.

Last year we benchmarked our FT offerings on our AWD Superflow. This 20th ann package will mirror the range of our FT425-FT495 offerings as the basic parameters have not changed that much. We will pick up more at both the bottom end and top end due to the added efficiency of both our boost track and the new turbine wheel. This should give you something to chew on.

Update on the 20th,

Back at the shop, our team had working with a SLA plastic model for the past several weeks to develop our packaging, and finally took delivery of the first working production Borg Warner turbine. What a beauty! With the plastic model removed and the final touches on the plumbing being completed, we hope to be up one the rollers with this new package by the middle of next week.

The team also re worked the OEM exhaust with our CVP mid muffler and plumbed in an extra bypass. Now we have some flow!

2 weeks into our pre-orders and we are seeing some nice East to West coverage.
We are really looking forward to the installation reviews as our new owners take delivery of this new package.

1) MK5R32 TX
2) MK5 R32 AZ
3) MK4 3.2 NY
4) MK4 3.2 TX
5) Gen 2 TT WA
6) MK5 R32 OR
7) MK4 R32 VA
8) Pending
9) Pending
10)
……

If you have had forced induction on your mind, this will be your opportunity to seize a piece of history while retrofitting your 3.2L with the latest and greatest in hardware. Give us a call at 604-598-8520 or email [email protected] if you are interested in snapping up one of these 20 limited packages

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any updates, been considering one of these kits...

HPA set out to fine tune our FI program to ensure the 3.2 community had a solid option for the years to come as the engine fell out of production. A number a tweaks were sought to improve both on performance and deliverables of HPA’s known FT series of single turbo kits.

The new integrated intake design is now the shortest boost track available for this engine, and will allow the turbo to do more work with less boost, a perfect combination for the weaker fuel blends and hot climates. The simplicity of its design also reduced installation time significantly and allowed the retention of the OEM airbox and battery for the MK4 applications.

Our new exhaust manifold repositions the turbo to allow for a V-band downpipe connection in favor of our 90 degree cast manifold. Again, we look to lower even so slightly the back pressure and EGT’s.

Lastly, the turbo update. Since SEMA last November where Borg Warner hyped us up to integrate their new EFR series into our updated FI program, we have been anticipating the arrival of this all in one solution. The EFR 7670 featured the same integrated diverter valve from our HGP/HPA compressor housings, but added the Gammati compressor wheel, which would on paper use less energy to get up to speed.

So, here we are, 5 months after we tooled up for this new turbo, sitting on a half dozen R’s at the shop awaiting its arrival, a candid call into Borg Warner offers up the cold reality that there is no short term end in sight for the production delay’s for the EFR line.
What has been 5 months already, could slide out 3, maybe 4 more months…no concrete dates can be offered!

To conclude our face lift to the FT series single turbo program, effective immediately, the HPA 20th kits will be reconfigured around a hybrid Garrett cartridge. Using a new exhaust housing casting, we will mirror the EFR’s exhaust housing and retain the reconfigured V band design. We have half a decade of experience with Garrett’s cartridges, and while they will not have the gammati compressor wheel, we are confident that in combination with the new intake manifold the performance will be unmatched.

The fabrication team is hammer down making the necessary changes to our fixtures and parts to accommodate and plumb for the Garrett cartridge. We hope to have the MK5 on the dyno mid next week and an MK4 to follow days behind. We are all exciting to see these kits start to ship and thank everyone that has supported us during this holding pattern with Borg Warner.

·
Banned
1,561 Posts
These kits are now in full production with the first kits leaving in a few weeks.

There are still a few kits left at the moment, I know christmas is coming up, what better gift for your car then 400 HP!

You know your wife/significant other/ will not mind at all if you do....

These dyno images show the various setups to be had with this kit.

First word will tell you what fuel the test was run on Race or 92octane. Second set of digits is the injector size. 500ml is what comes with the kit, 750ml can be ordered separately. Lastly the Big vs OEM is the exhaust size, the big exhaust can be found a few posts up.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
HPA,

I'd like to see some more information up here on the Typhoon Supercharger. I know you have it set up for the R32s where do we stand with a supercharger option for the A3 3.2? I thought I remember seeing a thread where you were installing it on an A3 but can't find it now.

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/typhoon.htm

·
Banned
1,561 Posts
There is no room to do it on the A3 as there is on the Mk4 R32.

The Typhoon kit is mk4 R32 specific and we do not have any current plans to make a mk5 supercharger kit.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Any of these still available?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts