VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking to lower the R, but really enjoyed the ride of the stock suspension. Coming from a MK4 lowered all the way on KW V1's I was not looking for another harsh riding suspension setup. I considered springs only, but wanted the height adjustability. I also read the occasional post that said the stock struts were not setup to be on a lower riding spring setup so I decided to just go for a coilover setup again. I saw the HPA SHS suspension was a variant of a KW V3 with the internal twin tube setup, but had the dampening and rebound pre set like a KW V1 which I saw as a plus.

I installed the suspension by myself, in a garage, with regular hand tools. Here is a quick run through of the installation...

Stock ride height:

HPA SHS Coilovers

Starting with the fronts...
I wasn't looking forward to removing the axle due to some saying the bolts are one time use or the three bolts on the bottom of the control arm that hold the spindle because of the re alignment. I found a how too in the forums that mentioned the 2x4 method in which neither of those had to be removed so I went that route, and gladly so.

After raising the front end on jack stands, removing the wheels, and attached electrical lines I found a piece of wood that was long enough (about 22.5 inches) and lined up the wood so I could see where to put the mounting hole. I used the upper sway bar link bolt as a guide for the hole. Pushing the wood against the bolt will give a good enough imprint for where to drill the hole.

Remove the upper sway bar link bolt and remove the 18mm bolt on the spindle holding the strut. I attached the 2x4 to the strut with the 18mm bolt and nut removed from the spindle strut clamp. I made my own strut spreader tool by grinding down the sides of an allen socket just enough to go where the regular spreader tool would go. After getting the spindle tool in position, I began to jack up the 2x4 until the strut was raised and clear of the spindle.

Remove the 2x4, remove three bolts in the engine bay that hold the strut assembly and it can be removed. Be sure to hold and support the assembly while unscrewing the bolts as it makes it easier. The whole strut assembly should come out.

Now assemble the coilovers and strut bushings. The instructions that came with the coilovers were helpful with lining up the bushings. I found it made assembly easy with the perches at their lowest position so you don't have the spring tension to deal with while tightening the assembly.

A key point in the instructions was when the set up is installed the end of the top of the spring should be facing outward.

Move the perches back up using the included adjustment wrench and they are ready to be installed. Installation was similar to removal, just in reverse. One issue that arose was lining up the upper swaybar links. I found that jacking up the bottoms of the mounts where needed helped make the assembly easier.

Don't forget to re attach the connection points and brackets for the electrical lines.

Do not re attach the swaybar link until both front struts are done. I found I also needed to remove the swaybar link when doing the right side, to have more room.

On to the rear......

I started with the right rear due to it being slightly more involved. When doing the right rear there is an Evap assembly that blocks the left bolt of the strut mount.

Remove the inner liner ...

Remove the bottom bolt attaching the Evap assembly. There is clip attached to the top of the assembly. After wrestling around with the assembly it came loose, however I am still unsure as to how it was clipped in there.

All three bolts on the bottom control arm need to be removed to install the springs and struts.

Rear strut assembly....
After the rear strut is removed, disassemble the stock strut assembly. I used a closed wrench that barely fit into the hole and some pliers to keep the the rod from spinning.

I reused the stock dust boots because they kept the installation looking clean. To reuse the dust boots the stock bump stops had to be removed. The dust boots were re-zip tied to the upper mount. The new struts were re assembled using the same deep wrench and an allen key.

Install the springs, keeping the stock lower rubber spring mount in.

I found, during reassembly, the holes for the bottom three bolts did not always line up. I used a socket placed on a jack to raise just the rear end of the lower mount arm helped to get the holes to align.

All assembled...

Note***When doing the drivers side rear do not forget to detach the arm for the headlight leveler.

Don't forget to reattach when done

After the installation my headlights were aimed down due to the height adjustment. I purchased the Ross tech cable and used VCDS to realign the headlights and they were right back to where they needed to be.

Finished product...

With wheel spacers.....
5mm up front, 18mm rear, no rubbing...
Fender ground approximately 24 7/16" all the way around.
There are still plenty threads to go lower if desired.

Overall impression... These coilovers were advertised to ride like stock, but allow height adjustability. After having them on and at the height pictured for about 2500 miles I have to say I have been very impressed by their performance. The ride is essentially just like stock. There may be an occasional small bump that makes you wonder if it would have felt like that on stock suspension, but by the time you think of an answer you're too distracted by the smooth ride. If I knew these coilovers were going to ride like they do I probably would have not hesitated to purchase them sooner. I highly recommend the HPA SHS Coilovers to anyone looking to have height adjustability and still have a ride that is not harsh for a non enthusiast to ride in. My friend, Vortex member JFLORES, has a mk7 gti (and a rather extensive build thread) drove my car and was impressed by the ride as well. He is lowered on another set of coilovers I considered.

HPA SHS Coilovers:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
11,011 Posts
Got confused up there, so is this a rebadged KW v1 or v3 preset without adjustments :confused:

Price?

I ask because numerous resellers customize default suspension company components with a (misleading) label of their own.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As for the headlights, it was similar to something like this:
Click Select Controller
Go to 55 - Xenon Range
Go to Basic Settings - 04
Then in the drop down list, select the adaptation/adjustment option (its the only one in the drop down).
Then click the ON/OFF/NEXT button.

Once I was in there the drop down options were not the same. Not exactly sure which I picked but I thought I heard the motors realigning, tested it out and they were back to normal.

As for rebadging....

This was taken directly from HPA's website...

"Developed in conjunction with the engineers at KW Automotive, the team at HPA Motorsports has designed an out of the box solution that is preset to perform...

HPA’s SHS coilovers offer an unmatched balance between handling and comfort. All SHS applications are based off KW’s twin tube low pressure damper design. Embracing KW’s patented valve technology, the high-speed dampening characteristics remain similar to OEM offering a near factory comfort level, while the low speed dampening power is increased to eliminate pitch and roll associated with heavy braking or corner entry. Each application features linear race springs on the front and progressive barrel spring on the rear."

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Got confused up there, so is this a rebadged KW v1 or v3 preset without adjustments :confused:

Price?

I ask because numerous resellers customize default suspension company components with a (misleading) label of their own.
FAS Tuning sells them and they are currently on sale. If compared to KW V1, V2 or V3, the SHS is more like a pre-set V3.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
If anything they are probably a little softer feeling than a V1 (had SHS coilovers on my mkVI and was very happy with the comfort)

·
Registered
17,354 Posts
Nice write up!! :beer: We worked with KW directly on designs for the SHS many years ago, as the original distributor for KW in North America...;)

Anybody interested in a quote should e-mail me at [email protected], I have a few Mk7 kits on hand that are ready to ship. :thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts