VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Does your 2.0T TSI engine still have the early style tensioner? If so, save yourself the hassle of an unexpected and expensive repairs that could cost you greatly by replacing it with the new style tensioner. Our timing chain tensioner kit comes complete with everything you need to replace your tensioner, including sealant, the updated tensioner (of course!), a new timing case cover with gaskets, and all the one-time use hardware that is required. The parts are OEM, the exact parts your local dealer would use, so proper fitment is assured. We strive to make sure out kits are the best on the market, and will fit the your needs and budget. Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions at [email protected]

Kit Includes:
  • Updated Timing Chain Tensioner
  • Lower Timing Case With Crankshaft Seal
  • Sealant For Lower Timing Case
  • Upper Timing Case Gasket
  • Camshaft Position Sensor Gasket
  • Lower Timing Case Bolts (x15)
  • Vibration Damper Bolt (x1)
  • Engine Mount Bracket Bolts (x3)
  • Engine Mount To Bracket Bolts (x2)
  • Engine Mount To Chassis Bolts (x2)
Interested in Purchasing this Kit? - BUY HERE! $329.99

Updated Tensioner Only? - BUY HERE! $63.64

Timing Case Cover Only? - BUY HERE! $189.00

·
Registered
368 Posts
How about a procedure? That would be nice to see, and what tools might I need?
Before I ordered one I'd like to know those things.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Also would be good to know how you can tell if you require this. Guessing its based on year of make?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about a procedure? That would be nice to see, and what tools might I need?
Before I ordered one I'd like to know those things.
Hello!

If you google search this, there are a few tutorials on how to go about it. It is quite complicated to explain in a text only forum post with out making a whole tutorial myself.

There are a few specific tools, however, we made this kit so that it can be very basic. The Cam lock tool seems to be the most important. We can offer that for $55.00 if you are interested.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I ordered this kit yesterday. I have a 2011 with the old tensioner and I'm coming up on 70k miles. I don't feel like having my engine explode, even if it only happens to a small percentage of all vehicles with the old tensioner.

I priced all the parts separately at the dealer and this kit is WAY cheaper. Also, you can spend another $100 on special tools to do the job yourself or $300 in private-shop labor. I choose private shop labor due to how easy it seems to mess up the timing on these engines and the time involved with doing it myself in my driveway.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Correct! - Most 2012 cars seem to come with them, however a car made before that, it is usually a good idea to switch it out!

Thanks
FYI, my 2012 with 07/11 build date has the old style tensioner.

·
Registered
343 Posts
That would be correct! - Early and Mid 2012 model have the old style tensioner, so it is always a good idea to check which one is on your car if you have a 2012 or less.
Need to have a look then :( At what KM range is this typically failing at?

·
Registered
232 Posts
How to check if my car has old style tensioner?
I paid the dealer to check it through the inspection port. Cost me $80 to learn the bad news.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If your car is a 2012 Model Year, or lower, Checking your timing chain tensioner is always a good idea. With out the update, you can face thousands in repair bills, if your timing falls out of line. Fortunately, our in house kits made entirely of OEM parts is the best and most reasonably priced solution using all OEM parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.