VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to sound very odd I am sure. I am currently in the process of purchasing my first Corrado
(second VW), but I am buying it sight-unseen. My brother (lives in a different city) is found the vehicle for me, test drove it, and says it runs great. The only thing he mentioned was that there is a "hum" coming from the dash whenever the RPM's are below 3500. I am wondering if this is a common problem or if anyone has even had something like this happen before, and if so how difficult is it to correct it?

By the way it is a 1990. Please help me.
Oh, and once I get it pictures will be coming. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Re: Hum in the dash of a 1990 Corrado? Help please? (AZVento)

That depends on the Hum...It may have a leak in the vacuum line that plugs into the back of the Instrument cluster...But I dont think the owner would appreciate the options to check (setting new codes in the MFA or taking it appart) It very well could be a vacuum leak...Ot it could be the speedo cable. Plus...CHECK THE SUPERCHARGER!!! Its not rebuilt unless theres a receipt. See if the owner will let him pull one of the intercooler lines and look for pools of oil (ther should be a thin film...Like if your were to mist it on the pipes) Also...Check for holes in the IC plumbing. But the big thing is CHECK THE CHARGER!!! You want NO NOISE from that thing. But the hum could be a number of different things...

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Re: Hum in the dash of a 1990 Corrado? Help please? (AZVento)

LOL, um, its a Corrado. They make all kindsa kewl lil noises. Chances are, its just vibration induced. But definatly check the charger for oil leaks/blowby. Look under the intercooler to see if there is oil leaking out of it. Instead of pulling the boost tubes, you can also pull the sensor on the tube coming out of the IC and feel around in it. It should be VERY LIGHTLY COATED in oil. You should barely be able to see it on your finger. If you can gob it up. Kick the car in the ribs and run like the wind. Also, roll down the passenger side window and drive next to a wall or curb and listen for any strange noises.
As far as the dash noise, I wouldn't fret to much about it unless something is completey obvious. Just remember its a '90 and so tolerences in fitment of interior pieces are not as tight as they used to be and so some things could just rattle and vibrate.
I have an untracable "tweet" in the rear of my hatch in the plastic somewhere for instance.
Good luck,
Later

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Hum in the dash of a 1990 Corrado? Help please? (HiJinx)

You guys have really gave me a lot to look for. I am pretty sure it's not the Charger, as that was replaced with a brand new one from Germany less than 15K miles ago. My brother is going to be taking it to his local European auto shop and have them look it over before I purchase it. Hopefully it's noting too major. A Corrado is one of my dream cars

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.