VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a long shot but I'm looking for an old VW Rabbit race car that my dad and his friend used to run at Milan drag strip (Michigan). They raced primarily in the late 1970s early 1980s. The car was owned by Brian Luman Volkswagen LTD (VW dealership on Woodward Ave in Ferndale Michigan).

Here are some pictures of it... https://imgur.com/a/NQfwa

It was featured in August 1980 issue of HotVWs, you can read the entire article at the link above. Any information and or additional photos would be welcomed!

Thanks!

Edit: Fixed picture.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Curious if you ever located this MK1?
Last year I located & bought back a Drag Pickup I built around 1991. Hope to have it back in action later this year.
I got a couple leads from various Facebook groups but none of them turned out to be good. I have kind of given up the hunt for now.

Edit: I also can’t remember what email I used for my original account on this forum lol...

·
Registered
3 Posts
The last time I saw the Rabbit Transit was at the dealership when my parents bought a Vanagon camper. The engine was removed and it was for sale. I remember thinking how much fun it would be to get it running. My best guess is this was summer of 1990.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The last time I saw the Rabbit Transit was at the dealership when my parents bought a Vanagon camper. The engine was removed and it was for sale. I remember thinking how much fun it would be to get it running. My best guess is this was summer of 1990.
Can you share the dealer name or general city/state? Sorry I missed your post - I don't check these forums too often!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It was a very unique vehicles and it made me think of another vw powered vehicle that I got a kick out of. The Tinker toy was a VW powered rail I saw race at US 131 Dragway in Martin Michigan during the popular hot rodding magazine Championship races.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts