VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I installed the hybrid oil pan kit from ecs yesterday/last night on my 1.8t gti. Does this pan effect the accuracy of the oem dipstick? I didn't change the oil filter (last changed my oil about 400 miles ago), so I only put in 4 quarts. But the dipstick is reading a little less than half. I know I haven't leaked any oil.

You guys have any experience with this?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Hello guys,

I installed the hybrid oil pan kit from ecs yesterday/last night on my 1.8t gti. Does this pan effect the accuracy of the oem dipstick? I didn't change the oil filter (last changed my oil about 400 miles ago), so I only put in 4 quarts. But the dipstick is reading a little less than half. I know I haven't leaked any oil.

You guys have any experience with this?
no it doesnt. 4 qts is not enough. i put in almost 6 with a passat filter and my hybrid.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
:sly:

my car came with a hybrid pan from the factory, i use an oem filter and it takes a tad bit more than 4.5
yeah have you seen how much larger the passat filter is?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've read numerous threads on oil changes, and the consensus seems to be 4.4 qts. Last oil change, I put 4.4 qts and changed the filter. Dipstick measured full. I'm estimating that the filter has .2-.4 qts sitting in it, just from previous experience. So, 4 qts should be about full, right?

You guys are saying 5 and 6 quarts for a 1.8t, I'm just curious where you are getting these numbers.

EDIT::
Forgot, I'm not using the OEM filter. Mine is a smaller Purolator. Guess I should have mentioned that.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also, use a good filter. good oil doesn't mean nearly as much if you use it with a crappy filter
What would you recommend? The PO always used a Purolator and Mobil 1 oil. Not sure what weight, but I've been using 0w-40 for about 6 months.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I did the hybrid conversation on my MKIV Jolf 2.0L after reading the TSB from VW regarding the lower oil pan. I don't remember anything that would change the accuracy of the OEM dipstick. Basically you are replacing OEM aluminum pan, with one that simply just has the steel bottom, that is it. That was one of the 1st things I did on my MK4 after reading so many stories of how easily the aluminum ones cracked.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
What would you recommend? The PO always used a Purolator and Mobil 1 oil. Not sure what weight, but I've been using 0w-40 for about 6 months.
i use a bosch filter. runs about 14 dollars at autozone/etc.

i use 5w-30. Really, it depends on what climate you live in as to what oil you can get away with. But if you've been using 0w-40, just keep doing that, that is fine

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
read the owners manual. this thread is pointless.
The only reason I didn't check there is because I just assumed it would say "bring it to the dealership" lol.

@bryan didn't mean to doubt you bro. I've just seen like 4 or 5 different numbers so I wondered about the discrepancies.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
The only reason I didn't check there is because I just assumed it would say "bring it to the dealership" lol.

@bryan didn't mean to doubt you bro. I've just seen like 4 or 5 different numbers so I wondered about the discrepancies.
it's all good. also, i didn't even notice if you had the same engine. my specs are for a 1.8t. don't know if/how much it differs if you have a different engine.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
i use a bosch filter. runs about 14 dollars at autozone/etc.

i use 5w-30. Really, it depends on what climate you live in as to what oil you can get away with. But if you've been using 0w-40, just keep doing that, that is fine
Southeast = hot summers. Plus the 0w-40 (and all Mobil 1 oil) is a LOT cheaper at wal-mart than the parts stores. We're talking like $2-$3 cheaper per quart.

Also 1.8t AWP. It ran for ~300 miles on low oil before I did this job. I'm hoping nothing suffered from it.

8,090 Posts
I did the hybrid conversation on my MKIV Jolf 2.0L after reading the TSB from VW regarding the lower oil pan. I don't remember anything that would change the accuracy of the OEM dipstick. Basically you are replacing OEM aluminum pan, with one that simply just has the steel bottom, that is it. That was one of the 1st things I did on my MK4 after reading so many stories of how easily the aluminum ones cracked.
my hybrid pan sits a lot higher than my buddies aluminum pan on our 1.8ts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my hybrid pan sits a lot higher than my buddies aluminum pan on our 1.8ts
This is exactly why I made this thread. The inner space has to be different if you have to change the pickup tube as well. Just don't know if it fills out differently. I should have compared them while I had them both off the car.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Southeast = hot summers. Plus the 0w-40 (and all Mobil 1 oil) is a LOT cheaper at wal-mart than the parts stores. We're talking like $2-$3 cheaper per quart.

Also 1.8t AWP. It ran for ~300 miles on low oil before I did this job. I'm hoping nothing suffered from it.
i'm in the southeast as well. 5w-30 works fine down here. I run castrol full synthetic. the auto stores usually have a sale on a bosch filter and 5 quarts for ~$25 every couple months. i just wait on that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.