VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the deal, just rebuilt my RD but did not put new hydro lifters in, I got enough chatter to be worried about it, so I picked up a new set of lifters of germanautoparts.com.
I did not soak them in oil before I installed them, but I did make sure to follow the bently and hold the engine at 2k RPM for 10 minutes. The sound started to go away, but is now slowly coming back.
Note: I do not know my oil pressure, but I do know my oil pump is brand new. I'm still running Rotella T 15W-40 because of break-in period.
I was told by a seasoned VW guy that this noise may be caused by my timing belt being off by one tooth? Also, someone mentioned the noise may be ignition timing, I have mine advanced more than I thought would be ideal (leads me to believe it may be the timing belt being off...)
I also know I do have a cracked stock manifold, and have read that the exhaust leak may sound like that, but I have narrowed the sound down to the head itself. I do not have an oil control tray for the cam, but one is on it's way, so that will be going in soon too.
Car still runs and pulls GREAT, other than the noise that's the only real issue
Any ideas? I'm out of them. Should I order some lifters and soak them this time?? Any links to a specific procedure for installing hydro lifters, I couldn't find one on the 'tex, so I just followed the bentley.
Thanks!!

Modified by rte7x9 at 11:49 AM 8-27-2008

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Re: Hydraulic Lifter noise again! (rte7x9)

fix everything that you know is DEFINITELY wrong
do an oil change
if noise then still persists - get new lifters - soak em and install them.
do a search for the install. im sure there are lots

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Hydraulic Lifter noise again! (fourie_marius)

Well, I have tried numerous searches on here;
"lifter install"
"hydraulic lifter install"
"lifter howto"
ect...still nothing
I've fixed everything I know is definitely wrong except the cam timing. I know how to set the camshaft and intermediate shaft, but I'm worried that I didn't get the crankshaft in *exactly* the right spot since the pulley no longer had a mark on it. I was close, no doubt, but still may have been a tooth off.
Can anyone confirm that this could cause some bad noise? Am I crazy?
Thank god this is a non-interference head or else I'd be hosed...
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Hydraulic Lifter noise again! (fourie_marius)

Thanks much!
(I have a bentley, my engine would've still been in hundreds of pieces witout it!)
Seriously though, I really do appreciate the help, I'm only 2 months into owning a VW and it can be a tad bit overwhelming!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Re: Hydraulic Lifter noise again! (rte7x9)

good to know you are getting into it. its very rewarding when done right.
Shout if you need help and dont take flaming too personal. it keeps the forum interesting.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8,674 Posts
FV-QR

I installed a set of AEG lightweight lifters, used, from a spare scrap MkIV 2.0 head I had...and they're the quietest lifters I've ever heard. I love them

·
Registered
587 Posts
Re: FV-QR (B4S)

Quote, originally posted by B4S »
I installed a set of AEG lightweight lifters, used, from a spare scrap MkIV 2.0 head I had...and they're the quietest lifters I've ever heard. I love them

nice to hear that, i'm putting together a head for a boosted counterflow, using mk3 valves (1mm thinner stems, lighter and maybe a touch more flow) and using mk4 lifters due to the weight diff. all in a JH head, just gonna do a little port matching just because it's easy, looking forward to it, glad to hear the mk4 lifters will be nice and quiet!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8,674 Posts
FV-QR

I was just surprised to NOT hear the familiar, comforting clacking. Especially out of used lifters http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif. I'm running a mish-mash of oil right now, some cheap, some expensive, and various weights...so it's definitely quiet thanks to hardware

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: FV-QR (briansimons)

Quote, originally posted by briansimons »

and using mk4 lifters due to the weight diff. all in a JH head,

Just curious, how are you going to supply oil to the lifters as the JH is a solid lifter head and doesn't have necessary oil passages for the lifters?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Re: FV-QR (ABA Scirocco)

Quote, originally posted by ABA Scirocco »

Just curious, how are you going to supply oil to the lifters as the JH is a solid lifter head and doesn't have necessary oil passages for the lifters?

mk2 gti, they aren't solid lifter, and it's a JH head

·
Registered
8,674 Posts
FV-QR

The JH head is originally a solid lifter head, and does not have the oil passages in it to provide oil to the lifters. If you install the MkIV lifters...and they don't get the oil they need, they'll clack QUITE loudly, and then bad things will happen.
If you're using a stock MkII GTI head, then it's hydro lifters, and not a JH.

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: FV-QR (briansimons)

Quote, originally posted by briansimons »

mk2 gti, they aren't solid lifter, and it's a JH head

IIRC, the Mk2 GTi's used HT, RD or PF engine, if yours is a JH then not original to the car. The JH was never used in ANY Mk2, it was strictly a Mk1 engine used in the 83-84 Mk1 GTi and GLi as well as 83.5-89 Sciroccos and Cabriolets, most JH engines had solid lifters but a few had hydrualic lifters specifically those in the 88 and 89 Sciroccos and Cabriolets.

Modified by ABA Scirocco at 8:43 PM 8-29-2008

·
Registered
58 Posts
at the dealer i work at we put some trans fluid into the motor and let it run for a couple days and sometimes it takes the noise away. trans fluid has conditioners in it and also helps clean, u want to do a 2 quart mix or atleast 1 quart mix.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
ive herd of that befor ive actually done that quiet a number of times my self,i really dont know about a few days but like you said just a quart mix that would help it out, your better off just getting an engine treatment just like stp or lukus something like that, that stuff is great i allways use it in all of my cars

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.