VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so say someone was thinkin of putting an LCD screen in their gti but didnt want it down by the cupholders because the shifter would get in the way of the screen all the time. and say they were thinkin of doin a little custom dash work like getting rid of the ashtry and cupholders and sort of shifting everything (the heater controls and switches for a/c, locks, etc) down a bit. is this possible? basically so that an lcd screen could take the place of the radio spot as well as some of the place where the climate controls are now and have them down near where the ashtry is now? i realize itd be expensive and all that...im just wondering. and no this wouldnt be done by a shop for the most part, maybe some of the custom dash pieces but for the most part, itd be done by, oh say, someone like me.
im throwin some different ideas around of what to do next and this be one of them. anyone have any idea as to whether it could be done easily enough? whats behind the cupholders and ashtray? thanks

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Re: hypothetical question about the dash and a LCD screen... (Severance)

Don't forget you'd also have to move the OBD2 connector that's next to the ashtray.
-Costas

·
Registered
430 Posts

Why not just relocate the a/c switches into a custom panel where the can holders are and put the lcd where they used to be? I thought about trying this but you might run into issues with the length of the cables for the switches.

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: hypothetical question about the dash and a LCD screen... (Wiggum420-24-7)

right, thats the same basic idea. either way. just in some way stick and lcd screen in there. i havent looked into setups yet, lcds, dvd maybe? playstation? a pc? i dunno. just tryin to think of things. but i figured i might as well find out where to put it and see if thats possible before i went nuts. also what about a flip out screen (like an alpine or something)? can these be used for other things (as a tv for playstation or a dvd, vcr) or do they just do a set thing that they were programmed for from the start? thanks for the help

·
Registered
4,296 Posts

I did exactly what your thinking about doing in my car. The best spot i found to do it was where the cupholders are. Buy a 5" monitor, I used an Accele, take out the entire center console (pop out the the shifter boot, 2 bolts there, 2 pop pins towards the front of the console, 2 in the back on both sides of the console, some fun pulling and pushing) After you get it out you'll have to cut the crap out of the pocket where the cupholders reside. A little thought and a sheet of flat ABS plastic later, you should have the screen mounted. The shifter shouldn't get in the way if you have a short throw. If you want e-mail me and i can get you a few pics. I just did it all last week so I haven't taken any pics yet. You'll be pretty fly
watching Swordfish on DVD driving down the street, just don't get any tickets for doing it
hefty fines.....

[Modified by farfromugen, 4:02 PM 12-6-2001]

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Re: hypothetical question about the dash and a LCD screen... (farfromugen)

I have an in-dash 6.5" screen which is hooked up to a 6 disc changer, vcr, occasionally i throw playstation in there.
My set-up is for sale if your interested, or anyone for that matter!!

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.