VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am sure of it now... my car (almost 2 weeks old) has both a blown head gasket and a horrible pinging engine, as well as a number of other odd problems.
my question is.. if i dare attempt to replace the head gasket is there anything at all i can do to fix the pinging while i am in there?
as for the cursed comment... this will be my second car in 2 months that blew a head gasket within a month of ownership. and my car before that lasted a month and a half before blowing its intake manifold. and the car before that (my first car) i wrecked after 2 months of ownership... that was my fault though.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Re: i am cursed (DiscPhilosopher)

Oh the joys of owning a beater car....
There was a guy I knew who would buy $500 cars. If he got two months out of em he considered himself ahead. He'd sell the broken car for parts (typically netting hsi original $500) while getting anohter runner...
Of course - he did the auto repair work himself..
Getting a shop to to a head gasket on a 10 year old car IMHO is a LOSING proposition. But if you do it yerself - thats anothery story...
Pinging is "detonation". Could be a carbon build up. Could be a fueling issue )lean - clogged injectors, clogged fuel filter, bad fuel distributer (CIS) or something else).
Were there signs of the HG going when you baught it - would you have know what those signs were if you knew?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: i am cursed (ewongkaizen)

when my previous car went it was in one spectacular moment and i didnt really know what was going on till the shop came back and said i blew a head gasket. When i went to look at this car i had read about looking for the signs, but the oil and coolant were clean and forgot to check the exhaust. the oil and coolant still look fine, and to be honest i dont appear to be losing coolant, but i get a white plum of smoke out of my exhaust when i start up... i guess it smells sweet, it doesnt smell like regular exhaust fumes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts