VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 85 golf 1.8 liter 8v that I want to autocross.
There is a place for autocrossing about 20 minutes from my house.
The car has 185/60/14 falken ze-512 zieks...about 2 months old, KYB shocks and struts, neuspeed coilovers, front upper sturt bar, and rear upper strut bar. What else do I need to do to get the car ready?
Do I need a helmet? Rollcage? An extra pair of underwearLOL?
the local track is in buckingham florida...of any of you go there please let me know. thanks
I have never done it before, so i need some advice.

·
Registered
607 Posts
as far as setting up the car just to go have fun (running competitively put aside until experienced) your fine, you can take anything and run it and have a ball
you do need a helmet, although most regions will probably have loaners...but be aware they are probably a few years old and have been on many a sweaty head, if you think its something youll stick with (and if you go once your hooked anyway
) i would go ahead and pick up your own, usually needs to be snell 95 approved (at least chicago region)
roll cage not needed and will launch you into a different class anyway
perhaps an extra set of underwear is a good idea for your first time
i would advise getting a ride with another driver running in a heat before you so you can at least get a feel for what its all about as well as some insight in how to navigate the course at speed...youll probably get a paper course map and youll definitely be able to walk the course prior, but what is easy to distinguish at 2mph walking gets sort of confusing at 40

other than that just ask for help if you need it, people are usually very kind and helpful to those who need it, just remember that everyone there had to have been new at it at some point, good luck and have a great time!!
p.s. i think im gonna have to move somewhere warmer where we can autocross year round, here in chicago we all get slow-driving fever

Modified by jrod1313 at 1:54 PM 2-13-2004

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Re: (jrod1313)

Quote, originally posted by jrod1313 »

roll cage not needed and will launch you into a different class anyway

A bolt in cage is permitted is stock class.
Have fun, and don't be shy. Ask lots of questions. Walk the course with experienced drivers. Like was said above, don't worry about being competitive. The doer alone, learneth. So keep coming back, and you will keep getting better. It's alot harder than it looks.
Brad.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Re: (mk2inthehill)

Quote, originally posted by mk2inthehill »
I live in Central florida area on the West Coast...where did you say this autoxing is taking place. I drive a 87 golf

Here is the site for our area http://www.cfrsolo2.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts