VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys & Gals.
Mom's fuel pump in her 93 Regal died today at my brothers girlfriends house and I had to go pick her up. When I started the car at my bro's girls house, there was a brief moment where I had no power. I think her house is haunted.

Ok, my problem. Please help me, I don't want to be stranded.
It happened twice already. I put the key in the ignition and turn the key and, nothing. Nothing happens. The time in the MFA goes blank and blah, like I had a dead battery. I turn the key to 'off' and try again a VROOM. Starts up. I still had to blip the throttle to 'turn on' the alternator. A good signed. I learned the hard way that when that light doesn't come on at start up, your alternator is broke or not connected properly. I got home tonight and noticed my headlights dim for a while then brightened up in about 3 minutes from start up. The battery is fine, my stereo kept it's memory, but the MFA lost all information. When I bring the power windows up and hold the button (causing an electrical load) the high temp guage light blinks bright momentarily. With the engine running and the lights off, the oil light is ever-so-faintly flickering. Is this something just weird or is it something serious?
It is an 86 1.8 8v CIS-E with 267xxx km's. It is a fairly new alternator and a two year old battery. I never did anything different to induce change in the car.
Thanks for your help!
A2Carat

· Registered
1,512 Posts
Re: I am scared! (ChrisG)

I had the same problem... Turns out that my battery had a broken plate inside which would cause a short when cranking amps were demanded of it.

edit for spelling

Modified by Ische at 5:08 AM 7-15-2003

· Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: I am scared! (Ische)

I can't start the car today! The stereo works and all, but the car is dead! And I have to go to work! I tested the leads and everything and everything seems to be fine, but when I crank, I just get nothing and sometimes and clicking noise (very quick) from the fuse box.
Any ideas?
A2Carat

· Registered
10 Posts
Re: I am scared! (A2Carat)

I know its a long shot, but I had this problem with my cabbie. Anyway, I chased down all sorts of things and it turned out to be my starter. Of course the next one I put in was bad as well
I thought it was odd because there were no warning signs other than it may or may not work. Good luck in your chase.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Re: I am scared! (jettalicious)

Starter. if it is a stick push it down hill in first gear with the clutch pedal compresses then once the car gets good momentum let out the pedal quick and it should start.

Modified by ChrisG at 6:24 AM 7-15-2003

· Registered
769 Posts
Re: I am scared! (A2Carat)

Change your battery cables. The stock ones are too thin gauged and are probably shot after 267km's. Even if the radio works it might not be handling high amperage. The battery cables are very deceptive.

· Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: I am scared! (satchmo)

Thanks guys...
The battery cables are good...they are fairly new. (Thick too!)

I read your posts and went back at it. 6.30am I am in my driveway working on my car. My neighbors probably think I am psycho ..
Anyway .. I took the cables off the batter and the starter motor and attacked them with 230grit sandpaper. I did all the washers and connections. There was a thin red wire that broke its ring connection a while ago and I just wedge the wire into the positive terminal. (Don't flame me.. it worked and I forgot it:) ) I cleaned all them up and attached them and .. guess what?
VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMM!!
Woo hoo!
I'm happy.
Thanks guys for your quick replies!
for everyone!!
A2Carat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.