VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rad pipe snapped this past weekend and I was on I95 just outside of Philadelphia for about a 1/2 mile without coolant reaching the engine. Finally I found some shoulder and pulled over. Had it towed back to my house and got a new radiator installed the next morning. I drove back to school and when I pulled off of the Turnpike(after 2.5 hrs of driving with no problems) my templight came on. I pulled over and my bulb was low on coolant and there was ALOT of pressure built up in the hoses. I let the cap off slightly and drove the remaining 5 minutes back to my house. The coolant was bubbling out all over the place. I turned the car off and heard 3 pings when I turned the key. I decided to let the car sit for the night and tryied to ween it back to health in the morning.
I woke up and started filling the bulb and turning the car on and letting the thermostat take what it needed and get the right amount of coolant running through the engine. I took the car for a spin around the neighborhood and everything looked fine. Repeated my route after about 5 mins and eveything looked fine again. I let the car cool down for about a half hour and then went out and started her up. I let the car warm up and then took it out for a stress test, I went out on a 2 mile straight away and took it up to about 60mph to see if it could do highway speeds. I finished the 2 miles and pulled over into a gas station. At this point the engine is rumbling and grumbling REAL bad and it feels like it wants out of the car. I shut everything down and the coolant was down to about half the bulb. When I refilled and started back up the exhaust was spitting out a cloud of white smoke and has done so since. I limped the car back home and it has been sitting in my driveway.
I am thinking this the head gasket and my car is burning coolant.
So after all is said and done does anyone have any input on what is wrong and what would be needed to fix.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: I am thinking my headgasket is FUBAR, your thoughts please. (fopeano)

If it is, does anyone know a site where I can get a price for a head gasket?

·
Registered
9,014 Posts
Re: I am thinking my headgasket is FUBAR, your thoughts please. (ptA2ptB)

i'm not sure that kit is exactly what you need but here are my thoughts.
you are removing the valve cover/head to do this with that said some things you should do, or think of doing at least

-get the head checked for trueness, get it skimmed down a bit if needed, you can also do this enough to raise the compression up a bit if you wanted. To skim the head to make it true, is about $40-50
-valve stem seals/valve guides/lifters/new cam/updated rubber valve cover gasket/exhaust manifold to dual down pipe or header/o2 sensor if its on the exhaust mani
just some while you are in there type of stuff, i'm sure there is more.
ah yes, if any of your coolant hoses look beat or you want to freshen all that up do all the coolant system work since you will need to refill/flush the system out after the head gasket.
water pump/thermostate/heatercore/coolant flange o rings/radiator/hoses ect ect
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: I am thinking my headgasket is FUBAR, your thoughts please. (Banditt007)

Quote, originally posted by Banditt007 »

-get the head checked for trueness, get it skimmed down a bit if needed, you can also do this enough to raise the compression up a bit if you wanted. To skim the head to make it true, is about $40-50

heh, english please.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Re: I am thinking my headgasket is FUBAR, your thoughts please. (ptA2ptB)

Quote, originally posted by ptA2ptB »
heh, english please.

How much more english does it get. You can pay 40-50 bucks to have your head machined back to being flat again (they do warp sometimes), or you can get it decked (shave more than what it would take to make it flat) and that will up the compression some. Also when you get it decked you may as well go the extra mile and have it ported and polished.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts