VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always thought that D2s looked absolutely amazing, but could never bring myself to consider one because of the perceived risk of buying an older car that was so expensive new and the cost of ownership. Then a local friend of mine bought one last year with a bad motor. And another with a bad transmission. Suddenly, having access to a potential parts car because a real possibility...

So I started passively looking at D2s again. Looked at one locally that was enormously overpriced and not in amazing shape. I didn't buy it, but driving it made me want one even more.

Then Osin34 (Buddy) mentioned in a thread on here that he was selling his. Only problem... he lives 1,000 miles from me.

So I hemmed and hawed about it and would go re-read the whole ad every few weeks thinking about it and the logistics of getting it home. Looked at another D2 in the meantime, but ultimately passed on it as well. Finally just bit the bullet and sent Buddy a message, asked a bunch of questions, and made a deal. My son is 9, and I figured it would be a good father/son experience for the two of us to fly up and drive the car back. So that's what we did. Took a longer way home to go through Vermont, Massachusetts, CT, NYC, Philly, and DC on our way home. Total trip was just over 1,100 miles.

So we got on a plane.

We flew up to Albany, NY and Buddy picked us up there since there wasn't an airport of any decent size closer to his house in West Rutland, VT. I had checked the weather before we left SC and it was supposed to be cold and raining. Imagine my surprise when we landed and the pilot said it was 32 and snowing. We aren't used to that in SC.

Got back to Buddy's house and took a look at the car, looked at all the documentation, and signed the papers. Stopped to get some dinner on our way to the hotel that I had booked for the night. Looked through a lot of the documentation for the car before going to bed. It was bought as a CPO car by the 2nd owner.

Next morning we woke up to this.

This place was right down the street from our hotel and looked interesting, so we stopped here for breakfast before starting out on our journey. It was FANTASTIC.
http://vtsugarandspice.com/

Passed this cool, little bridge on our way out to I-91 and stopped for a picture.

Made it to Massachusetts, then Connecticut. (I stopped taking pictures of the signs after this because some of them were not particularly convenient to stop next to)

Drove through the Lincoln Tunnel in NYC on our way to Philly, where we made a real quick stop (after everything touristy was closed, unfortunately). Then stopped for dinner in Baltimore before making it to our hotel for the evening just north of DC. Got up the next morning and did the tourist thing in DC. My son had never been before, and he thought it was cool.

I neglected to take a picture of the first fuel stop in North Haven CT, but we stopped in Gainesville VA for our second fuel stop, and our third (and final) fuel stop was in Gaffney SC. Averaged 21.5 mpg on the trip. Not too bad.

That was almost 2 months ago now... I'll try to keep this thread updated as time goes on. :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,054 Posts
Congrats! That looked like a fun trip. I hope the car holds up and treats you well, I am a fan of those older A8s/S8s and wanted one for a while, debated getting one before picking up my A6. 135k on it now and hope to hit 200k with it... fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Rutland huh, funny I have a good friend from college up there. Pretty country up there and have marble for the sidewalks and curbs :D

I fully approve of this car! It's the big brother to my S6 Avant :thumbup:

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
19,559 Posts
Looks like a fun trip! My college buddy lived in Rutland for awhile when he was flying for Cape Air. His FB feed was always plants, flowers, streams etc. He claimed there was nothing else to do there other than hike and take photos. :laugh:

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Congrats, also love the timeless design that adorn Audi’s form that era.

And to add an anecdote of sorts. There’s an elderly man down the street from here that’s driving one just like yours, and I’m always wondering when I see him if he’s a retired samurai too :)

Are you ... now?

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
19,000 Posts
Nice score! Those are my second favorite large luxury sedans, right behind the E38. I'd love to have one on air....

·
Registered
12,961 Posts
Looks like a fun trip! My college buddy lived in Rutland for awhile when he was flying for Cape Air. His FB feed was always plants, flowers, streams etc. He claimed there was nothing else to do there other than hike and take photos. :laugh:
Rutland's airport is hilarious. It's a house with a bar upstairs and the TSA checkpoint is the back door they use to let you out onto the airstrip. Last I tried to fly out of there on Cape Air the arrival/departure screen was busted and the gate agent was away so nobody knew we had no incoming flight to pick us up.

Eventually we all got on a van to go to Boston.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I've got a buddy in the Charlotte area who has 2 D2's that he's looking to get rid of cheaply if you're looking for some parts cars. IIRC they're both in great shape and run, but have lost second gear (as they do).

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
19,559 Posts
Rutland's airport is hilarious. It's a house with a bar upstairs and the TSA checkpoint is the back door they use to let you out onto the airstrip. Last I tried to fly out of there on Cape Air the arrival/departure screen was busted and the gate agent was away so nobody knew we had no incoming flight to pick us up.

Eventually we all got on a van to go to Boston.
Hahaha. Oh man. That’s fantastic. One of those stories that pisses you off while it’s happening but it makes for such a great story later on.

·
Registered
'18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '98 M3, '91 GTI VR6
3,678 Posts
Love the car! Cool story too, it's pretty awesome that you were able to make those memories - bet he never forgets that trip!

Maybe I'm a crazy person, but I think you could do a LOT worse than a D2 S8. More than a few moons ago, an intern at one of my old jobs (a kid who was barely in college, didn't come
from a lot of money either) bought a D2 S8 for $2k. A few months later, the car developed the telltale rattle at startup (hydraulic tensioners were going) and he let it go too long, and one day they went on startup and the car ate a couple valves.

He actually got very lucky as there wasn't much damage to the head or pistons, so all he had to do was replace a few valves and guides, and off he went. He drove that car for about 5 years (we kept in touch) until just a few years ago. I was amazed that he was able to keep that car going without it ruining his life. Towards the end the transmission was getting soft (another known issue) but it never blew up on him.

D2 S8's have a soft spot in my heart. Ronin is one of my favorite movies of all time.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
YES!

Love the car, also love your son's shirt!
There’s an elderly man down the street from here that’s driving one just like yours, and I’m always wondering when I see him if he’s a retired samurai too :)
D2 S8's have a soft spot in my heart. Ronin is one of my favorite movies of all time.
:thumbup: this x5, only on TCL would we see Ronin and Roadkill content in the same post. just happened to rewatch Ronin again last week, still one of the greatest car chase movies after all these years.

·
Premium Member
6,128 Posts
Nice story, and great car to pick up.

I have yet to meet an Audi I didn't like (and that includes the problematic 100s my Dad kept buying in the mid-late 70s).

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
That's a neat car you bought. Maybe I'll see it if I ever get to a C&C here soon.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts