VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really know if I could/would call this a build thread or not, but I'm reserving the space just in case.

A couple weeks ago I started getting messages from friends on Facebook about a cheap Jetta they had seen posted. After some digging and harassment I was able to track down the owner and take a look at it.

When I spoke to him on the phone, he knew nothing about it other than it was a Jetta and that the power steering leaked and the body wasn't straight.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got there and found out it was a 90 GLI with the 16v and Recaro interior fully intact. So I brought it home...

Right now, the plan is to try to get it fully operational so I can drive it through the winter and then sacrifice it to get my GTI back on the road with some new goodies.

We'll see what happens though. I've been driving it for a couple days and I'm kind of starting to like it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problems I've found with the car to this point:
  1. The brakes are terrible
  2. Tach doesn't work
  3. Gauges don't light up
  4. Rear defrost doesn't work
  5. The seat bases don't work
  6. Motor moves a lot
  7. Shifter is sloppier than a prom date

I'm guessing the brakes just need bleed. There's a bunch of electrical/stereo weirdness in the car so I'm guessing that's why some of the power things don't work. I have an extra 16v cluster in the garage, so I'm going to give that a try and see if that helps.

It's drivable as it sits, but it's a little more difficult than it should be.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Sounds like a poorly maintained mk2.. usually how you find them lol I'd just upgrade everything one at a time.. like the brakes for example, upgrade to rado 11" brakes.. all you'll need are the carriers, callipers and rotors.. (knuckles should be the same from the g60 rado or any mk3 4lug car)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nice find man , if you do end up parting the car out ill buy the trunk lip and the top half of the rear seat. Lmk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts