VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Lifted G37
12,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure what this is supposed to be, but after the dealer tricked me into it with a weekend-long test drive, I bought it. All I know is that it's the closest that I could come to a new (ish) G37 that has room for a dog in the trunk and two child seats in the back seat. I looked at lots of things from CX-5s (almost bought one) to GS350s to Mazda6 2.5ts to Accord 2.0t 6-speeds, and none of them did it for me. Nothing made me want to get rid of my G35S. This one looks about the same inside (even though it's 9 years newer... funny joke, Infiniti) and has a very similar driving dynamic to that car, which did the trick. It was also priced reasonably and the dealer didn't offer me a terrible trade in on my old car. I decided to pay the grand or a little more that I could have made on CL to not have to deal with CL.

I'm a little bummed to lose adaptive cruise control and a HDD to rip CDs to (seriously, it was useful), but happy to gain 105k less miles, 3 years of powertrain warranty, CPO coverage, more MPGs (24 around town, 29 on the highway... seems high to me), and a surprisingly neat 360 degree camera. It still has adaptive HIDs and a nice stereo, which is good. I might have to add paddle shifters, though that might not jive with the CPO warranty. On that note, they really improved the 7-speed programming vs. the last G37S that I drove. It's quick, locks up early, and is smooth. I don't recall that being the case in the G37.

I think the G35 was mad at me though. As I was getting it ready to trade in, the hood fell on my head. Whoever wins it at the auction: it needs some new hood struts.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
What was the conclusion for the speed dependent drivetrain whine? That's most likely a bearing on it's way out somewhere, either the rear diff or the output shaft on the trans...

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Lifted G37
12,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. :thumbup:

We have a new CUV coming our way soon as well...
What are you looking at?

What was the conclusion for the speed dependent drivetrain whine? That's most likely a bearing on it's way out somewhere, either the rear diff or the output shaft on the trans...
They're guessing a tire balance issue. It's too rainy to hear it right now. I have to go back to get some little things fixed, so they'll look at it then. "Whine" was an inaccurate descriptor on my part. More like very slightly out of balance tire noise. Not a warble, but constant light groan. Throttle application may be irrelevant, as the not-silent VQ could potentially be overpowering the noise even while cruising. Whatever it is, I have a warranty. I haven't had one of those in forever.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
They're guessing a tire balance issue. It's too rainy to hear it right now. I have to go back to get some little things fixed, so they'll look at it then. "Whine" was an inaccurate descriptor on my part. More like very slightly out of balance tire noise. Not a warble, but constant light groan. Throttle application may be irrelevant, as the not-silent VQ could potentially be overpowering the noise even while cruising. Whatever it is, I have a warranty. I haven't had one of those in forever.
AH! I had only skimmed that thread so I'm glad it's looking to be something simple. Tires can make such a huge difference in NVH.

·
Banned
524 Posts
just own up to it: you bought a station wagon.

Color me confused: NINE YEARS newer and it LACKS the adaptive cruise that you had on your older one???? How can that be?

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Lifted G37
12,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AH! I had only skimmed that thread so I'm glad it's looking to be something simple. Tires can make such a huge difference in NVH.
Yep, hopefully it's tires. They are on the large side (245/45 19) and they just installed them, so maybe they need road force or something.

just own up to it: you bought a station wagon.

Color me confused: NINE YEARS newer and it LACKS the adaptive cruise that you had on your older one???? How can that be?
Heh, I have no problem with a wagon. My G35 had the tech package (adaptive cruise, headlights, etc.) and this one lacks the tech package. It was an option bundled with lane keep, auto braking, blind spot, and stuff like that. Would have been nice, maybe, but not a requirement. Plus, while it's easy, I sometimes found adaptive cruise to be annoying.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yep, hopefully it's tires. They are on the large side (245/45 19) and they just installed them, so maybe they need road force or something.

Heh, I have no problem with a wagon. My G35 had the tech package (adaptive cruise, headlights, etc.) and this one lacks the tech package. It was an option bundled with lane keep, auto braking, blind spot, and stuff like that. Would have been nice, maybe, but not a requirement. Plus, while it's easy, I sometimes found adaptive cruise to be annoying.
Having had that adaptive cruise on my M45, I could honestly take it or leave it. It was more gimicky than useful to me. On another note, congrats? These represent a decent value and I think they're pretty cool.

Chris

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Its just a reminder that he needs to get a limited slip differential on there.

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,058 Posts
Yay! Congrats for the search being over, yet winding up in a familiar place. Finding the tech package in one of these is a PITA, so its totally understandable that you skipped it.

(On a selfish note, I'm also happy that I was the one suggested the EX. All of those years testing and recommending cars weren't for naught. I'm running 2 for 2 this month; my parent's new-to-them 17 Outback, and this. :)

Tom

·
Premium Member
TTq, OBXT, Renegade
16,040 Posts
Very cool, and you now have the better-looking version of the Mustang Mach-E (ugh) :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,623 Posts
Awesome. Infiniti really could've done more with this car, shame they didn't do a true follow up. Is this a 2016+ extended wheelbase version? They should've had that available from the start.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
congrats! I have a soft spot for this car and really considered buying one CPO before ultimately deciding to lease the 2019. Also, your MPG are waaaay off. I think you are quoting the numbers for the current gen QX50 with the 2.0T, not the previous gen with the VQ37. Here are the actual mpg numbers:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2016_Infiniti_QX50.shtml

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Lifted G37
12,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its just a reminder that he needs to get a limited slip differential on there.
Ha. You buying?

Yay! Congrats for the search being over, yet winding up in a familiar place. Finding the tech package in one of these is a PITA, so its totally understandable that you skipped it.

(On a selfish note, I'm also happy that I was the one suggested the EX. All of those years testing and recommending cars weren't for naught. I'm running 2 for 2 this month; my parent's new-to-them 17 Outback, and this. :)

Tom
Heh, yeah... I've watched more than a few CR reviews in the past couple of months. Good work. As for the tech package, they had one sitting next to this one. 2017, less miles, but $6k more. Not worth it.

2019 Audi Q5
Solid choice.

Very cool, and you now have the better-looking version of the Mustang Mach-E (ugh) :thumbup:
:p

Awesome. Infiniti really could've done more with this car, shame they didn't do a true follow up. Is this a 2016+ extended wheelbase version? They should've had that available from the start.
I agree about the new QX50. A RWD 3.0tt would have been fun, but probably would have sold about as well as these did.

Yep, it's a 2016 with the ~4" increase in rear legroom. It has 1" more combined legroom than the G35, which is all I needed. The only real downside is the trunk. Yeah, it's a hatch and I can comfortably stick my dog back there, but the floor is 5" shorter than the G35, and it's not like I can easily (power up and down!) fold the seats with two kid seats. Still, it passed my bike trailer, Bob stroller, and road bike test (with the seat post removed). Just barely. On that note, I ordered my first mod: a Curt trailer hitch for the bike rack.

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Lifted G37
12,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
congrats! I have a soft spot for this car and really considered buying one CPO before ultimately deciding to lease the 2019. Also, your MPG are waaaay off. I think you are quoting the numbers for the current gen QX50 with the 2.0T, not the previous gen with the VQ37. Here are the actual mpg numbers:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2016_Infiniti_QX50.shtml
I played around with a 2019 in the showroom, and it is certainly bigger and more practical. And modern. Way more modern.

As for the mpg, that was the indicated mileage on the trip computer. It actually got as high as an indicated 32 on the highway for ~10 miles at 60mph, but that was with a pretty solid tailwind. If it's like my G35, the estimate will be within .5 mpg or so of reality. Driving around town has dropped to 23.0, and that's on the tank of 87 from the dealer with a handful of hard acceleration. It's supposed to have 93, so we'll if that changes anything.

·
Registered
25,954 Posts
Congrats on finding what you like in a better form factor.

I didn't realize these had the 4" wheelbase stretch. That would take the rear seat from "are you kidding me?" to "Ok, I can tolerate that". The cargo capacity would still be a bit meager though unless the seats are down, but unless you want an older FX I suppose this is as good a compromise as you can find.

How does it drive? Steering, ride, etc?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts