VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Yeah, it's not horrible, and that price includes taxes and the asinine $600 dealer doc fee.

I do like both of those things, but then again, I enjoy driving the Rav4, and the chassis dynamics are awful. I agree that power is a bit of a sticking point with the CX-5, but like a lot of people, I probably overvalue it. I don't really use 325hp in the QX50 very often. I get your point though - it never feels strained and always has more than enough power in reserve. Like you say, the CX-5 feels peppy around town, though I recall it being a dog merging on to the highway. That's something I do maybe once a month though, so I'm not sure how important it is. I'd get a FWD version though, which may be better in that regard.

The Durango and JGC are pretty sweet. They are likely over budget though. There's a roundabout on the way to daycare that I have some fun with (the kids make me do it), and there's a dad in a recent "sporty" trim Grand Cherokee who does the same. He gets it though there quickly... looks like it's going to tip over every time though. The front end lifts a ton.
Hahaha, that is awesome. My little one is too small for spirited driving yet. JGC might be within your price range.

Finding lots of 2016-2018 Limited 4x4's (leather, heated, big infotainment etc) with 3.6L Pentastar for around this $23-$25k mark with <55k mi. Could go up or down a few years/trim/miles/whatever and get down into the high teens with ease or, spend a little more and get a V8.

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Middle-aged man sedan
13,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Huh, that's less than I expected. ~$25k OTD or less is about all a car is worth to me, and those fall in nicely.

I took the QX50 in for a charging system check, and as expected, it's all OK. I showed them the photo of the center display... nothing. If it's not doing it at the moment, they can't do a whole lot. I get it, but something seems to be going on.

The worst part of all is that they only gave me a bottle of water and not my usual bottle of water + freshly baked cookies. Exceptional service my ass.

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,175 Posts
Sorry to hear the QX is being a PITA.

As the owner of a CX-5, and the past owner of a Durango, I need to say this: they are like chalk and cheese when it comes to ownership. The Durango makes your Infiniti look like, er, a Corolla. Nice SUV, but it became a real bother to own.

My car ownership history is far from profligate, and I average $4k-$5k a year per car in costs. So your "loss" isn't that bad.

It looks like you could get a 2019 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve with the turbo for around $27k. That extra $2k might be worth it.

·
Registered
13,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Sorry to hear the QX is being a PITA.

As the owner of a CX-5, and the past owner of a Durango, I need to say this: they are like chalk and cheese when it comes to ownership. The Durango makes your Infiniti look like, er, a Corolla. Nice SUV, but it became a real bother to own.

My car ownership history is far from profligate, and I average $4k-$5k a year per car in costs. So your "loss" isn't that bad.

It looks like you could get a 2019 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve with the turbo for around $27k. That extra $2k might be worth it.
Good to know about the Durango.

I've only driven the 2.5t in a 6, and while it wasn't exciting, it was certainly relaxing. Low revs, plenty of power, quiet. They are harder to find than the non-turbos, but if I can get my hands on one, I imagine it's worth a drive.

Yeah, "loss" isn't really the correct term. I used the car, so it provided a service, and services are worth money. I'd also make some of that back (~$750/year) through cheaper regular fuel and improved MPG, at least with the non-turbo. Likely less expensive tires as well. Plus I can actually fit a dog crate in the trunk. Probably, anyway. It's still a small trunk.

Since you're a cyclist: is it possible/easy to fit a bike in the trunk without folding the seats? Removing the front and rear wheels is fine. I usually use a hitch rack, but it's nice to toss it in the trunk sometimes.

·
Registered
13,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
Unsurprisingly, I still have this thing. I took it on its longest yet highway trip to MTB in the mountains of NC. I stashed the bike inside (yay power folding seats, boo removing two kid seats to do so), and it averaged 27.3 mpg, even with some smelly-brake, high-rev twisty mountainy road abuse. Not bad for this lard-assed, old tech, somewhat strange looking but fun little thing on wheels that are about one size too big. The computer mpg estimate continues to be full of **** though. For the past several months, it's been consistently 2.5 mpg optimistic, regardless of the actual mpg number.

·
Registered
13,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I could start a new thread, but no:

What's the best way to stop a vibration/resonance in a heat shield? There's a large one between the exhaust and driveshaft that sometimes clangs when I close the trunk. I'm guessing something happened to it during the driveshaft replacement way back when, and I really don't want to go back to the dealer with another "hey, it's making this intermittent noise...". I'm going to save that one for what I think are bad cats. Or a VVEL issue. Or who knows what. Anyway, would a high-temp dynamat-like square here and there on the non-exhaust side of the shield work with the temperature down there, or is it better to drill a hole and mount a small bit of weight in the middle of the thing? Looks like there's dynamat-like-stuff that's good up to 400f. How hot do heat shields get?

Also, repaint, or just silver being silver? There's no evidence to support repair work, but in certain light, the two panels are a little off:

Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Grille

·
Registered
13,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Maybe I'm just conditioned at this point but in the current market that seems... Not terrible?
Maybe? I don't really know. I paid $20k-ish back in late 2019. At least the person buying it will have 6 months or so of CPO coverage left, assuming it transfers. Even though it recently got a clean bill of health from Infiniti, I'm fairly certain it needs a couple of cats and there's a familiar sounding/feeling front end clunk still popping up from time to time. Oh well.

I will likely miss the Infiniti dealer and service experience, as it was pretty great. We'll see how Honda does. Or not, because I don't plan on returning to the dealer/hopefully it won't break... then again, they have an in-house manicurist and masseuse. Odd.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts