VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a feeling this is going to be really gay....
i know lots of people have done this..... but i am at school and i dont even have jacks and stands here

let alone a stupid vice to get the rest of the bolt out of the mount....
anyone have any tips to remove this thing safely, fast ? without taking the whole front end apart....
cheers
eric.

·
Banned
5,170 Posts
Re: i broke the stupid bolt... holding the engine into the front motor mount. (ghostrider)

just happened to me last week.. but my front mount is welded in.. so my mechanic had to drop the subframe..
Yours should be easy tho. Really depends on how the bolt broke.. If it broke flush with the mount your going to need to get something to fish it out (usually tap into the existing bolt) .. If its not flush try to get some pliers or vice grips..
Or go real easy on it and limp it to somewhere where there are tools..

·
Banned
11,719 Posts
Re: i broke the stupid bolt... holding the engine into the front motor mount. (actionVR6)

It broke because you called it "stupid" and hurt it's feelings(sorry, couldn't resist
), here's to getting it fixed tho.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Re: i broke the stupid bolt... holding the engine into the front motor mount. (ghostrider)

weaver has tools, and a jack. dont he?

take a picture of it so we can determine how difficult it's really going to be.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

sorry, i have no helpful tips for u, but i suddenly became thirsty from looking at that keg in the trunk of your ride.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Re: i broke the stupid bolt... holding the engine into the front motor mount. (rcb120370)

Yeah I did that too. I felt pretty dumb. There really is no easy way of doing it with out the use of a jack and jack stands. You'll have to unbolt the engine raise the whole thing up which you can do from the oil pan with a jack and a block of wood. Then remove the entire front mount. Once you get the mount out you should be able to pull out the metal part that the bolt is broken off in from the rubber mount. What I did then was just stick the rubber mount back in place then I lowered the engine down onto that while i used a snap on bolt extractor to get the bolt out. Which by the way did'nt work. So I ended up buying a whole new front mount assembly from http://www.germanautoparts.com and just replaced the whole thing.

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: i broke the stupid bolt... holding the engine into the front motor mount. (Dreek)

well i went home on friday and snagged a jack....
went to work today before it poored down rain.
i was able to remove the bolt without anything major.. just a pair of plyers.
i tried to get a new bolt from VW but they told me they wouldn't get me one

i got a 10.9 grade 10x30 bolt from tacoma screw products and a thick brass washer...
upon inspection though i noticed that the oem bolt in the tranny is a grade 8.8 so maybe the bolt i put in is too brittle???
does anyone have an opinion on this?
cheers
eric

Modified by ghostrider at 5:10 PM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
11,621 Posts

Maybe I'm an idiot, or I've got it backwards- but I thought that the higher the grade the stronger the bolt

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: i broke the stupid bolt... holding the engine into the front motor mount. (mack73)

Quote, originally posted by mack73 »
Maybe I'm an idiot, or I've got it backwards- but I thought that the higher the grade the stronger the bolt

yes.. but the stronger the bolt the less it will stretch? making it more brittle?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts

I bought the strongest motormount bolt in the universe,
grade 12.9 with a hex key head & a grade 12.9 washer.

My rear mount bolt & upper housing was bent pretty bad so I replaced all of it with new or better than new stuff. front bolt too.
I dont think motor mount bolts would be designed to strech because they are being stressed pirpendicular to the bolt, there is no tension be put on them. you will be fine homie.

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: i broke the stupid bolt... holding the engine into the front motor mount. (IntakeManifold)

jesus.
just trying to get this bitch ready for the trek to dubwar.
12.9 is stoopid strong! i didnt even know that grade existed...
i also replaced the bolt in the tranny mount with a 10.9 and a brass washer....
too bad my hood is dented as **** now...
lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts