VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was a big fan of ATP 3" DPs until recently. I started seeing some cracking symptoms on customers cars, but I wrote it off to the use of stock motor mounts. Recently though, the cracking on the race section has gotten out of hand. My friend and I BOTH broke ours after a lapping day at Lime Rock, both of us using poly engine mounts. I have a customer who broke it 2x, and now has broken the flex section. While I still believe it to be the best fitting DP on the market, the cracking issues have now come to the forefront. It needs to be reinforced or welded better in the race and flex sections.

-Mike P

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: I can no longer recommend ATP DPs.....cracking issues......... (tyrolkid)

ditto,mine is broken in the flexpipe,ill be sending it back today i hopr they dont give me i hard time for the exchange

·
Registered
18,207 Posts

100% of the locals that i know with ATP dp or race sections have had at least one crack.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
Re: I can no longer recommend ATP DPs.....cracking issues......... (John A)

My DP has been fine <finds wood to knock on
> but the flanges on the High flow cat have broken like 3-4 times http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Re: I can no longer recommend ATP DPs.....cracking issues......... (Phishy)

Maybe they can weld little metal trusses to the portion/weld that is prone to breaking. Or is it actually the non-welded flex section that is breaking?

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Re: I can no longer recommend ATP DPs.....cracking issues......... (syntrix)

i had an atp dp, i had mine crack on me, i know some ppl had problems with the CG downpipe as well.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

No problems on mine yet....I got it on their very first production run with the Carsound hiflo. Approx 15K on it...not much rough stuff though. Considering going down to a 2.5" for performance purposes only.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Re: I can no longer recommend ATP DPs.....cracking issues......... (AxeAngel)

quote:[HR][/HR]i had an atp dp, i had mine crack on me, i know some ppl had problems with the CG downpipe as well.[HR][/HR]​
ya go ahead and find someone that has cracked one of mine

Chris Green

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Re: I can no longer recommend ATP DPs.....cracking issues......... (BALLIN-AUDI)

quote:[HR][/HR]i had an atp dp, i had mine crack on me, i know some ppl had problems with the CG downpipe as well.
ya go ahead and find someone that has cracked one of mine

Chris Green[HR][/HR]​
Yours are very well made indeed, to bad you can't make two that have the same shape or with the O2 bung in the right place.
As for ATP quality, I have allways said the quality of their products leaves alot to be desired, if you think otherwise you just don't know what your looking at.

[Modified by Wolk's Wagon, 2:25 PM 4-9-2002]

·
Registered
2005 S2000, 2019 G70 6MT, 2019 i3 REX, 2003 XC70
16,728 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, tyrolkid. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
-Nick

·
Registered
501 Posts
Re: I can no longer recommend ATP DPs.....cracking issues......... (Wolk's Wagon)

I've been having some problems with my car lately (EPS light coming on!), and being that a 3"DP is basically the only mod on my car, it isn't going to be hard to troubleshoot.
Whatever problem it winds up being, I'll post my "story".

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Re: I can no longer recommend ATP DPs.....cracking issues......... (Wolk's Wagon)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Yours are very well made indeed, to bad you can't make two that have the same shape or with the O2 bung in the right place.
[Modified by Wolk's Wagon, 2:25 PM 4-9-2002][HR][/HR]​
Ouch....That was not very nice.......

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Re: I can no longer recommend ATP DPs.....cracking issues......... (drm916)

Isnt it comman to have the EPS light come on with having a Race Pipe?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Re: I can no longer recommend ATP DPs.....cracking issues......... (Barcad)

I have CG DP and absolutely no cracks, O2 sensors, flanges and shape is fine.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for CG's group for providing a quality product and excellent service.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Re: I can no longer recommend ATP DPs.....cracking issues......... (drm916)

Ouch....That was not very nice.......
[HR][/HR]​
Guess I should explain,
A friend of mine bought a CG downpipe for his GTI, it looked very well made with thick laser cut flanges and all the right bends. He paid a shop to install it, only to find out the O2 sensor bungs pointed straight into the tunnel. He got to pay for the install and miss time at work to deal with the fiasco, So CG sends him a new one ASAP, when we get to looking at them side by side the one with the wrong bungs had 2 more bends and was like 3/4" difference in length, from the "good one". So he goes back to the shop to get the "good one" installed, and low and behold it doesent fit worth a damn hitting the tunnel, and tweaking the whole exhaust to one side. So off it comes as well, another round of $$$ & time wasted and still no downpipe.
Is there no Quality Control with these things, I thought they were assembled using a jig, You could see they were completely different with one eye closed standing in a dimly lit room.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts

if you got the revised batch... its fine... thats what i got when i got my dp like in january or something on the atp gb...
mines has been on for over 5 or 6 thousand miles and its fine...
just because you got something out of the bad batch doenst mean that the rest are bad

·
Registered
501 Posts
Re: I can no longer recommend ATP DPs.....cracking issues......... (mrdejected)

quote:[HR][/HR]Isnt it comman to have the EPS light come on with having a Race Pipe?[HR][/HR]​

No, a CEL is common with a race pipe, since the O2 sensor after the Catalytic converter isn't attached to anything. I have had a CEL since about 10 minutes after the install. The EPS light is attributed to ????

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: I can no longer recommend ATP DPs.....cracking issues......... (mrdejected)

just because you got something out of the bad batch doenst mean that the rest are bad
[HR][/HR]​
so by bad batch you mean anyting they made before january ever? did they get someone who could weld finally or something, I spoke with people before the transverse 1.8Ts were out who were having issues with there downpipes and even manifolds cracking. There stuff does work dont' get me wrong, just QC has been lackign for a very long time.
chris
[email protected]

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Re: I can no longer recommend ATP DPs.....cracking issues......... (chris86vw)

im not sure which batch it is that was bad.... but i know that the previous batch before mines was cracking.....
there were a lot of concerns about it cracking back in january or something... with a lot of peoples test pipes cracking.....
when i went to go pick mines up.. i asked if i had the revised version.. and they said yes... and it looks slightly bent compared to the previous ones... and ive had mines on ever since i got it...and its been working great since

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.