VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just like the title states:

I've owned my R for 5 months now, and I cannot go more than 15 minutes without having to adjust some aspect of the seat. I've owned way too many sports cars to be proud of discussing (STi/Evo/Mk6 GTi) but i've never had as much problems with seating comfort as the mk6 GTi and this MK7 R is. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I'm nearing the point of picking up another car or a sparco seat to replace these as it just entirely changes my mood after a 45min drive with frequent adjustments.... and I drive in comfort mode nearly 95% of the time. I've probably watched 30 minutes of youtube videos on proper seating positions and read a few articles. After 5 months, I think it's safe to say that I've tried every single position possible. I think I can count on one hand the amounts of times i've driven without complaint. I have about 3200 miles on the Golf R, and it's completely stock.

I am 190lbs and 6ft tall, should that matter.

I've been considering a Sparco Chrono Road as a replacement seat, should I go that route.

Sparco Chrono Road Seat at Speed Shield by speed shield, on Flickr

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hmm, I've had an MS3, STi, MKv GTI, 2 different WRX's (02 + 11), and a Focus ST with Recaros and I think the R is the most comfortable yey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
After 5 months, I think it's safe to say that I've tried every single position possible.

Inclusing reverse cowgirl?
Maybe more Lube?

Lol
I can agree. I didn't think mine were comfortable as I'd be constantly shifting or moving around. And the headrests don't support either because for my back to be comfortable then the headrests are way back.

·
Registered
122 Posts
No problems whatsoever with the comfort. The seats hug the body. Very comfortable even after 6 hours near non-stop driving. I'm about 195 pounds and 6-1

·
Registered
810 Posts
Just like the title states:

I've owned my R for 5 months now, and I cannot go more than 15 minutes without having to adjust some aspect of the seat. I've owned way too many sports cars to be proud of discussing (STi/Evo/Mk6 GTi) but i've never had as much problems with seating comfort as the mk6 GTi and this MK7 R is. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I'm nearing the point of picking up another car or a sparco seat to replace these as it just entirely changes my mood after a 45min drive with frequent adjustments.... and I drive in comfort mode nearly 95% of the time. I've probably watched 30 minutes of youtube videos on proper seating positions and read a few articles. After 5 months, I think it's safe to say that I've tried every single position possible. I think I can count on one hand the amounts of times i've driven without complaint. I have about 3200 miles on the Golf R, and it's completely stock.

I am 190lbs and 6ft tall, should that matter.

I've been considering a Sparco Chrono Road as a replacement seat, should I go that route.

Sparco Chrono Road Seat at Speed Shield by speed shield, on Flickr
I have no issue with the R. But I had the same problem with my 2009 B8 A4 s-line. Those seats gave me a really hard time. Never figured out the problem. Bougth some seat cushion to help. Had a lot of cars before that A4 and few after. The A4 for whatever reason didn`t like my butt.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm sure you're not the only one, no one has designed a seat that's perfect for everyone sadly. It might be that you have to go aftermarket if you can't get comfortable.

I'm 6'2" and 195 pounds and they fit me perfectly, my only wish are those expandable thigh rests that for example BMWs sportseats has.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure you're not the only one, no one has designed a seat that's perfect for everyone sadly. It might be that you have to go aftermarket if you can't get comfortable.

I'm 6'2" and 195 pounds and they fit me perfectly, my only wish are those expandable thigh rests that for example BMWs sportseats has.
I just don't want to lose the heated seats, and I know I can get aftermarket heated yet they aren't cheap. How do you guys that share the nearly same size as me set up your seat?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
750 Posts
I just don't want to lose the heated seats, and I know I can get aftermarket heated yet they aren't cheap. How do you guys that share the nearly same size as me set up your seat?

This is very subjective of course, but I like it like this : (electric seats, manual seats are a little different)

All the way down to the floor, as low as it goes
Front edge as far down as it goes, and then just a tiny bit up
Backrest up until the wheel rests on where my wrists ends and the hands begin, arms ever so slightly bent.
Seat backwards until my knees don't touch the bottom of the panel.
Steering wheel all the way back and almost as high as possible.
No lumbar support at all. On long trips I might add a touch of lumbar.

This might not work even a little bit for you :D

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I am 6' tall and 190 also and I've done 500miles straight without so much as a twinge from my bad back. Maybe an aftermarket seat is a good idea, perhaps it will fit you better.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Is it possible you have some sort of other health issue going on that is just being exacerbated by the seats? Maybe a car accident or something similar from years ago that is finally rearing it's head? Golf seats are pretty mild as far as sporty seats go.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it possible you have some sort of other health issue going on that is just being exacerbated by the seats? Maybe a car accident or something similar from years ago that is finally rearing it's head? Golf seats are pretty mild as far as sporty seats go.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Sometimes my wife's Outback seat bothers me, so it could be. But I havent starting having problems with my car seat until I got the MK7R. I work in public safety, so perhaps my back is only a matter of time? Never had any kind of trauma or a back issue before though. I can sit on a couch or computer chair no problem.

This is very subjective of course, but I like it like this : (electric seats, manual seats are a little different)

All the way down to the floor, as low as it goes
Front edge as far down as it goes, and then just a tiny bit up
Backrest up until the wheel rests on where my wrists ends and the hands begin, arms ever so slightly bent.
Seat backwards until my knees don't touch the bottom of the panel.
Steering wheel all the way back and almost as high as possible.
No lumbar support at all. On long trips I might add a touch of lumbar.

This might not work even a little bit for you :D
Thanks, I know it's subjective to my body, but it at least gives me something to try!

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Maybe sciatica?

I'm fine with my seats. I'm 173cm and 63kg. I just did back-to-back-to-back 14 hour days driving from Toronto to Whistler and back this summer. The power adjustments were great for dialling in small shifts in position to make 5 hour stints effortless. I have my seat adjusted almost exactly as StoneMountain describes above.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe sciatica?

I'm fine with my seats. I'm 173cm and 63kg. I just did back-to-back-to-back 14 hour days driving from Toronto to Whistler and back this summer. The power adjustments were great for dialling in small shifts in position to make 5 hour stints effortless. I have my seat adjusted almost exactly as StoneMountain describes above.
Glad to hear both of you are around the same setting position. Makes me more anxious to try it out. I could go see my Dr, but it only bothers me in this car. Sometimes in my wife's car. Our work vehicles don't bother me the slightest.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
6'7" 240lbs, seats are great.

They do fit me snug, so in certain pants I have to remove my wallet from my back pocket. Other than that, no issue.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53,293 Posts
I have owned vehicles since the 60 and the seats in my Mk7 are the most comfortable of any I have owned. They are Recaros, BTW.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sorry to hear that the seats are uncomfortable for you. The only time I've ever had something like this was after losing a lot of weight to the point where Franky my butt hurt. Unfortunately I've picked that weight up again, so this isn't a problem any more.

Not trying to be silly here, just wondering if you've lost weight lately.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
483 Posts
LOL at the bigger 200lb+ guys saying they fit snug. I guess that's why the US cars get the wide seats compared to europe and japan. I guess it's one thing if you're 200lb+ and 7% body fat, or 200lb+ and 30% body fat. :what:
I'm 6ft 177lb and I find they aren't really all that snug. I drove 14hrs straight in them and my ass was hurting like hell after about 8-10hrs. I'd constantly lift my ass up for 10sec or so while driving to give the old glute a rest.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I just did ~9hrs of driving this weekend and also found the seats uncomfortable. I miss my Volvo seats!
I hate Volvo seats. And this is coming from a Swede! Had a V70N with comfort seats, a V70R with sport seats, old 850, 945...not for me. The R seats are much better for me.

The best seats made in Sweden were in the 9-5 Aero in my opinion.

Best seats I ever had was the factory Recaro seats in Insignia OPC ("AWD Buick Regal Wagon" with 325hp V6).

1 - 20 of 118 Posts