VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can't get the retaining screw out is that the only thing holding the rotor onto the hub? or is there somethin else i am missing? i tried to use a penetrant with no luck i also tried heating it with a torch and no luck with that either....someone please help!!

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Re: i can't get my rotors off!! please help! (tunedjetta)

i had the same problem. what i did was found a screwdriver that had a nut at the base of the handle, i pushed like hell on that and my buddy turned the wrench. go and buy new retaining screws before you go any further!! you can also use a dremel and try to grind a nice deep line into the screw and use a flathead SD.

· Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (Spankee)

what is easy out? i have never heard of it before? and yes it is now stripped i tried the theory of a drill gun with a phillips attachment and it destroyed the screw so i now drill it out?

· Registered
3,863 Posts
Re: (vdubfiend)

I just changed my rotors this past weekend. I came to the same problem you had. The rotor was rusted a bit to the hub itself, so all I did was from behind the rotor just used a screw in the hole behind the rotor to pop it off. It worked for me....

· Registered
9,834 Posts
Re: (HAMgolf)

Quote, originally posted by HAMgolf »
they make screwdrivers where you can hit the end off it with a hammer and it turns it a little they work awsome.

Use one of these in combo with a larger head, and it should come off....You'll have to hammer the large tip in so it won't pop out. Most likely the screw is going to break, so be prepared to drill/easy-out.
I don't think you'll be able to put enough force on it to break it loose with a regular screwdriver.
Looks something like this...

Modified by SoLo2pointO at 4:58 PM 1-8-2004

· Registered
1,346 Posts
Re: i can't get my rotors off!! please help! (tunedjetta)

Those screws for whatever reason are made out of soft metal. It is really easy to strip the philips grooves in the top of them. What I would have done is put a screwdriver in and use a hammer to tap the end. That should kinda dig the screwdriver down into the soft metal screw and give you a little extra bite. It's kinda late for that now. You are gonna need a drill out/extractor kit or you can try what was mentioned before, drill off the head, pop off the rotor and remove what's left, or screw in from back of rotor. For next time, they make screwdrivers with a extra long shank that act almost like a torque wrench. Good for breaking loose hard to turn screws. I got mine from Snap On.

· Banned
4,512 Posts
Re: (SoLo2pointO)

Quote, originally posted by SoLo2pointO »

Use one of these in combo with a larger head, and it should come off....You'll have to hammer the large tip in so it won't pop out. Most likely the screw is going to break, so be prepared to drill/easy-out.
I don't think you'll be able to put enough force on it to break it loose with a regular screwdriver.
Looks something like this...

Impact driver http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Most usefull tool evAr when doing brakes. Worse case drill the head off the screw and run wiht out it, might make getting your wheels on a bitttch but sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do.

· Registered
2,671 Posts
Re: (SoLo2pointO)

Hit it with some PB blaster (ive been wh00ring this stuff ever since I used it to get all 6 of my seized spark plugs out without any problems)
Then use this thing!
Quote, originally posted by SoLo2pointO »

Modified by SoLo2pointO at 4:58 PM 1-8-2004

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.