VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i just installed an intake I purchased.

Everything seemed fine for the first 10 mins, after that... well. I was going about 110 km/h and then i heard a big THUD underneath my seat. When i looked in the rearview, i saw my breather from my intake kit rolling around on the ground behind me.

Sure enought i went back to get it, and i saw it get shot off into a ditch, a truck had squished the side of it, sending it flying into the grass on the side of the road.

What I realyl need to know here is, why did this simply "fall" off, did I fail to tighten it enough? I'm not too sure what caused it.... i really need some help here!!

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
Re: I could really use some help right now!! (saViOr)

if it had a screw-tight clamp, you may have not tightened it enough.
it may have also not been pushed down far enough when you tightened it.
i would think the engine would have built the pressure to actually blow it off but that is possible.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: I could really use some help right now!! (dunhamjr)

Sh!t
It was a tighten clamp, my friend is on his way right now to come pick me up to go get a new breather, but i'd like to know if it will just blow that one off as well???
I'm just trying to figure out if it was human error.
What causes the buildup of pressure to blow that off???

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
Re: I could really use some help right now!! (saViOr)

after clamping the breather down, try to remove it by hand... thats the simplest and best way to make sure it wont come off. i did that with my 2.0 and the first time, i thought it was tight enough, but proved to not be..
if u need a temporary replacement, use women's pantyhose and wrap it over the opening twice and tie it down good. this was a lil trick my godfather who built and raced all motor stangs when he was younger... i couldnt find the breather anywhere cuz it was on backorder at the time so i drove around with the pantyhose mod for about 1-2 weeks with no problem...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts