VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Performance trim. Traded in my Chevy Bolt. Ordered the Y on 9/14. Arrived last night at the sales location - to which they called me to pick it up a day early! Deep Blue Metallic with dark interior. Really love the look of the white interior, but the infrequent reports of dye transfer from jeans persuaded me to stay away. It would be my luck :D Anyway, I've only driven it home, about 40 miles. The seats are REALLY comfortable. Seems subjectively quieter than the Bolt, and it rides nicely despite the heavy staggered 21's. I think some of the reviews I had read/watched are overly dramatic about the ride quality on them. Haven't fully given it the beans yet, but it's really fast. Definitely jumps off the line with more shove than my S.

Delivery overall was flawless. Had seen some horror stories on the earlier built cars this year, but it seems the recent VINs have all been far better. Panels all good on mine, alignments, etc. Interior flawless as well. I'm a happy camper!

Forgive the parking lot after pickup shots!

At home with the Model S:

·
Registered
34,783 Posts
Forgive the parking lot after pickup shots!
Nah, it looks GREAT in those pictures! The only ones I can't stand are when people post up photos at night from inside their garage under a single lightbulb for top down illumination over the roof of the car. Your shots look like. So what's the range on the one you've got? Is it still 310 miles, or does it go down for the performance with the big wheels?

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, it looks GREAT in those pictures! The only ones I can't stand are when people post up photos at night from inside their garage under a single lightbulb for top down illumination over the roof of the car. Your shots look like. So what's the range on the one you've got? Is it still 310 miles, or does it go down for the performance with the big wheels?
Thanks! I'll break the big camera out here soon and post some real stuff.

Anyway - yes to range hit. Equates officially to 8% loss with the big ass heavy 21's (291 vs. 316). My Bolt was 238 and never an issue, so I'm good :laugh: Tradeoff is sticky, wide tires. 255 front, 275 rear on a 9.5" front wheel and 10.5" rear.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Nice score :thumbup:

The Bolt might be the only vehicle in recent memory that I've seen with worse build quality than a Tesla :D. always gonna have a few bad apples though. I wish we had EV incentives like you guys do, I'd be in something more modern than the i3 if so.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Blue looks fantastic on the Y. Should've gone for the white interior! It really makes it feel different than the plain black interior. The white really holds up well too....

Congrats on the purchase, and getting a good build. I can't believe you didn't give it the full beans... like how is that possible? :p When I test drove the Y performance, I gave it the beans 1 minute after leaving the service center LOL. Silly quick for that type of vehicle, almost too quick for not having a proper suspension to match it.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Didn't like the shape at first but after seeing a few in person; it's grown on me. Glad to hear that your experience with the Y was good (quality wise). Congrats on the purchase.

·
Registered
Bluestar, NA, V227
15,303 Posts
And you got it in the correct color :thumbup: :D

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Congrats! Keep us posted on this long-term. Model Y is the only current vehicle I'd consider trading my Model 3 for. Great color too!

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Nice, I have yet to see a performance Y in the wild. Those rims wouldn’t last a second on the roads around here though.

·
Premium Member
E90 M3, S2000, 944S, 4Runner Trail, Mazda 3
12,396 Posts
Nice. Hands down the best commuting car/small family car if you can charge at home.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Great looking ride, and congratulations....I love the color combo.

It's funny your comment about the seats. I got to take a ride in a Model 3 a month or so ago and my comment was that I felt like I was sitting on a marshmallow. They are super comfy. :beer::beer:

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats! Keep us posted on this long-term. Model Y is the only current vehicle I'd consider trading my Model 3 for. Great color too!
Will do!

Nice. Hands down the best commuting car/small family car if you can charge at home.
Thanks! It should work well.

Great looking ride, and congratulations....I love the color combo.

It's funny your comment about the seats. I got to take a ride in a Model 3 a month or so ago and my comment was that I felt like I was sitting on a marshmallow. They are super comfy. :beer::beer:
That's exactly what they feel like. Perfectly firm marshmallows. SOOOOOO much better than the Bolt seats.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does that have ANY off-road ability or is it really a CUV at heart?
I've seen a video here and there of it offroad (even a lifted one). It's based on a Model 3 though, so the answer is likely a strong no.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
Does that have ANY off-road ability or is it really a CUV at heart?
TFLtruck/TFLcar bought a Model X with the intent of converting it into an electric off-roader (if perhaps not a rock-crawler), and gave up. Aside from not having enough ground clearance, there is a design feature with the front suspension that absolutely prevents installation of larger-diameter tires (look where the upper ball joint is). Yes, that was a Model X, but the 3 / Y platform has the same issues.

Y is an all-wheel-drive lifted hatchback.

·
Registered
16,190 Posts
Great color! And can I just say those turbines are one of my favorite oem wheels on the market today?

Only real thing that is disappointing is that it doesn’t have the model 3’s track mode.

Otherwise it’d be my choice over a 3. :thumbup:

·
Registered
16,190 Posts
TFLtruck/TFLcar bought a Model X with the intent of converting it into an electric off-roader (if perhaps not a rock-crawler), and gave up. Aside from not having enough ground clearance, there is a design feature with the front suspension that absolutely prevents installation of larger-diameter tires (look where the upper ball joint is). Yes, that was a Model X, but the 3 / Y platform has the same issues.

Y is an all-wheel-drive lifted hatchback.
Mountain pass performance has a spacer lift for the model 3/model y. Seems adequate for mild trails.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts