VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
The tall greenhouse on the 3, owing to the low hoodline, has always made it look too "tall" from the front. I got used to it after a few months of seeing them on the road, but some folks haven't. I think the Y has better proportions from the front, but worse from the side and rear. Then again, the drawback to the 3's rear styling was already that it looked like a too-narrow S.

Just passed 36k miles on our 3 and realized I better start thinking of stuff to have the service center look at before the warranty runs out -- at this rate, will be out of warranty by July 1. Nothing immediately comes to mind, but you know how it is with a car, you'll think "outta get someone to look at that.." and then forget it 5 minutes later :laugh:

Haven't had any issues other than a couple of initial-quality things, but I'm sure I'll want them to do *something* before the end of warranty.

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert
1,124 Posts
I drove an LR Model Y after reading this thread and honestly it is a very compelling package.

I'd personally skip the P trim and get the LR with 19's. After delivery, I'd order the $2000 'Acceleration Boost' which supposedly drops 0-60 down to about 4.3s (vs 4.8s for LR and 3.5s for P) and throw on some stickier rubber and every single MPP suspension/brake/chassis part.

In reality I still can't afford a new Tesla, so I will wait until either the Y matures more and perhaps comes down a bit in price OR wait until the engineering advances of the Y (chiefly the heat pump) trickle down the 3. But I do really like the hatch opening on the Y, and lowered a bit I think the proportions are actually quite nice.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
But I do really like the hatch opening on the Y, and lowered a bit I think the proportions are actually quite nice.
I agree on the hatch. I'm a wagon/hatch guy. The trunk on the 3 sucks, just like on most cars. The gas struts can make it super stiff in hot weather and then much easier to close hours later when it cools off. Opening is not great. I wish it was motorized, which is a silly gripe, but I'm just not used to sedans, I don't get why they're so popular.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts