VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did it! Shine coil overs are ordered! (Also specs)

$1338.90!!! That's a lot of money. But it's done. I can hardly wait to see them.
A little info:
Spring length:8", front and rear
Spring rates: 300/200
Struts: Audi 4000 Bilstein Sport front, Passat rear (HD and Sport are the same for the rear of the Passat.)
Rear sway bar included in above price. Eli strongly supports removing the front sway. With 300lb front springs and Bilstein Sports, I don't think I will miss the front sway.

[Modified by TeraFox, 3:53 PM 2-7-2003]

[Modified by TeraFox, 3:54 PM 2-7-2003]

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: I did it! Shine coil overs are ordered! (DCIFOX)

quote:[HR][/HR]Rock and/or Roll!!
I can't wait to hear how they treat ya' http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
Ah, Rev. Lovejoy!
They will probably treat me harshly! 300/200 constant rate springs and Bilstein Sports?! That, plus my apparently concrete-filled 195-50-15 Potenza S-03 tires. It will still look totally stock from the outside, but the ride will be brutal. Handling should be tons-o-fun, though!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Re: I did it! Shine coil overs are ordered! (HiJinx)

8" spring length is going to lower it quite a bit; that's 2" shorter unloaded than the Neuspeeds. Jonathan, with those spring rates, your dentist is gonna love you; you'll be knocking your fillings out left and right. 300/200 is a bit stiff for my taste, but I guess everyone likes different things. Good luck with 'em!

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Re: I did it! Shine coil overs are ordered! (Evilclown)

quote:[HR][/HR]8" spring length is going to lower it quite a bit; that's 2" shorter unloaded than the Neuspeeds. Jonathan, with those spring rates, your dentist is gonna love you; you'll be knocking your fillings out left and right. 300/200 is a bit stiff for my taste, but I guess everyone likes different things. Good luck with 'em![HR][/HR]​
what are the Neuspeeds springs rates?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: I did it! Shine coil overs are ordered! (Evilclown)

quote:[HR][/HR]8" spring length is going to lower it quite a bit; that's 2" shorter unloaded than the Neuspeeds. [HR][/HR]​
Well, not with coil overs. On a coil over, spring length is more or less irrelevant because you can adjust the perches.
As for lowering, I will probably lower it about 1.5-2". There's more at play than just CG, and I want this car to handle as well as possible. Looks are secondary, regardless of the fact that I'd like to see it lowered about 3".

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Re: I did it! Shine coil overs are ordered! (TeraFox)

quote:[HR][/HR]Well, not with coil overs. On a coil over, spring length is more or less irrelevant because you can adjust the perches.[HR][/HR]​
I knew that. Really. I suck at thinking sometimes. You've got the right plan for lowering; the control arms should be flat, parallel to the ground. That also puts the CV axles nice and straight, which saves some stress on the joints.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Re: I did it! Shine coil overs are ordered! (TeraFox)

Wow. Let us know how the car handles when you get them on. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

BTW. 300/200 are the same spring rates I used for my GC coilovers that I currently have on with crappy KYB's. I hope that you like the way coilovers bounce but I guess yours will not since yours are matched with the correct struts/shocks

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: I did it! Shine coil overs are ordered! (92foxrox)

quote:[HR][/HR]Nah. Guy on e-bay sold them for $800 a few months ago. For -Gasp- an 80 or a 90. Audi.
LP[HR][/HR]​
Doh. Too bad I missed them. Aah--no big loss, I guess: $800+$200 (for the sway bar) = $1000, plus shipping. It's not that big a loss, plus I really like new parts! I love the look of a freshly installed, pristine, virginal part on my car, and this car will have about $2500 of pristine new parts when I finish. Oh, boy.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Re: I did it! Shine coil overs are ordered! (BlackFoxer)

quote:[HR][/HR]Hey Island Dubber, what are you using for your coil-over??[HR][/HR]​
If i may, Carlos actually did the homework, and did something much like what is pictured above. I congradulate him. I think it was one of those things that I was dreamingof, figured out, and then Carlos pops up saying that he did it.
Three words come to mind: big grinder, small grinder, and welder.
LP

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: I did it! Shine coil overs are ordered! (92foxrox)

quote:[HR][/HR]If i may, Carlos actually did the homework, and did something much like what is pictured above. I congradulate him. I think it was one of those things that I was dreamingof, figured out, and then Carlos pops up saying that he did it.[HR][/HR]​
Yes. And I remember saying all the way that coil overs on the street was a bad idea--that they were too harsh and had to be cornerweighted to work right. Well, I was wrong: you can get along fine without cornerweighting (although it helps.) And here I am, a couple years later, waiting on my set of coil overs to show up from Walpole, MA.
quote:[HR][/HR]Three words come to mind: big grinder, small grinder, and welder.
[HR][/HR]​
Uh.. That's five words, six if you count "and".
he, he

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.