VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Audi URS6
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that I have a commute again I had to get a daily driver. Last week I posted a vehicle in the Craiglist find thread, and well one thing led to another and the following day I purchased it.

That's right, I went from 5 cylinders and 1 turbo to 10 cylinders and two turbos. Guessed it yet? Well probably, because there is a gigantic picture that you'll likely look at first right below this.

Yes, I bought a v10 TDI from 2004 made by Volkswagen. I found it in Seattle and have had alerts for all Touaregs on Autotrader to send an email alert. Usually they're duds or way overpriced, but this one was significantly underpriced and it barely even has anything wrong with it!

"Shutup, do pics now". Okay fine.

I flew out to Seattle on Saturday morning, took the Link Light Rail and an uber over to the dealership and checked it out. Everything checked out for the most part. Took it for a test drive and then dealt with a gentleman named Antril and was off in about 30 minutes.

The flight over was very quick and expensive. About 45 minutes or so in the air. You can see here that I got a lovely picture of Seattle's most famous landmark, the Space Needle. No really, it's down there, just squint.

Neat little skyline pic from the train.

After I picked up the car I took a picture then went off on my adventure.

The soft-touch material in this era VAG was terrible. It's scratched and peeling all over but such a minor thing that I don't really care. You'll notice this car had the most coveted suspension setup. The only way this car could have been better is if it had the facelifted front end and was in white.

ignore this

First stop, as you do.

Big bag of Dick's in Lynnwood. Still not as good as Spokane's Dick's.

about 5 hours later I was home.

It's slightly smaller than the ML350 which is quite a beast, but the sound is incredible. I'll get better exhaust sounds eventually but this will do for now. The turbo whistle can be heard from a mile away it seems.

Oh yeah, and if anyone wants to lend me their floppy disk map data that'll be cool

My camera is really crappy on this phone after spending a year in a garage, but I try.

I also saw this as well as about a hundred cyclists while waiting for my Lyft, which happened to be a man named Jean driving an AMG C class with the full Mercedes F1 color scheme.

Plans:

Injector fixing (probably a new one)
EGR delete possibly... Weigh in. I've seen pics of TDI egrs and they scare me terribly and we do not have emissions checks in Washington anymore.
Head-unit probably because I really want Bluetooth and there is nobody that wants this stock unit in there anyways.
Sleep happily knowing that I have a nice reliable vehicle to commute to work every day now instead of a brick of sadness.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Having seen your Audi thread it seems as if you are up to the task of maintaining one of these. They are awesome, what made you choose this instead of the seemingly far more ubiquitous Cayenne?

·
Registered
S2000
7,566 Posts
A V10 twin-turbo diesel.

It was odd then, and downright exotic now in the time of 2.0T 4's and 3.0T 6 gassers taking over. At $5k idk if VW even amortized their engineering costs for this thing. :p

·
Registered
1995 Audi URS6
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having seen your Audi thread it seems as if you are up to the task of maintaining one of these. They are awesome, what made you choose this instead of the seemingly far more ubiquitous Cayenne?
Thanks! Although I like the rear end of Cayennes, I hate the front end. Also 10 cylinders
you seem to enjoy punishing yourself with 20 year old German cars :LOL:
I have so much anxiety in my life that I like to let loose a little bit and try not to get caught up in the little things like reliability
A V10 twin-turbo diesel.

It was odd then, and downright exotic now in the time of 2.0T 4's and 3.0T 6 gassers taking over. At $5k idk if VW even amortized their engineering costs for this thing. :p
And I get to benefit from it! It does feel like I am driving a space ship sometimes.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Awesome! In my fantasy life I have a V10 TDI to tow my race cars. :D

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Sleep happily knowing that I have a nice reliable vehicle to commute to work every day now instead of a brick of sadness.
I lol'ed.

Spectacular. Please keep this updated regularly.

·
Registered
16,589 Posts
I lol'ed.

this thing will be a brick of sadness in no time too, don't worry.

I loved the V10 TDI when it came out and driving them was a great experience, but I don't think I'd want one for my daily driver at their current age. certainly hope it's reliable for you. 🍺

have fun with that first 12.5 quart oil change. :D

·
987.1 Cayman S, MK4 R32, S124 E320
12,837 Posts
Had a friend with one of these a few years ago with the full R50 kit on it. Incredibly comfortable highway cruiser and made great noises but my friend was smart and parted ways with it as the warranty was near its end (I think he had both turbos replaced during ownership under warranty) 🤣

Awesome! In my fantasy life I have a V10 TDI to tow my race cars. :D
😎

Reactions: FoarMan

·
Registered
508 Posts
[QUOTE="
[/QUOTE]

Um 15+ year old twin turbo VAG product= reliable?

·
Registered
1995 Audi URS6
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I lol'ed.

What needs updating? It's not going to be troublesome
Had a friend with one of these a few years ago with the full R50 kit on it. Incredibly comfortable highway cruiser and made great noises but my friend was smart and parted ways with it as the warranty was near its end (I think he had both turbos replaced during ownership under warranty) 🤣

😎

Love the r50 kit in white. Looks good! Wish the rotors worked with my S6 but they're a bit too big.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
23,206 Posts
I love these things but that peeling soft touch is giving me vietnam flashbacks to my '99 Passat and '03 A4.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
What needs updating? It's not going to be troublesome

Love the r50 kit in white. Looks good! Wish the rotors worked with my S6 but they're a bit too big.
Fuel economy. Uptime charts. Usual car guy stuff.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts