VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I dont drive it yet...this is my build thread so im hoping shortly that statement will be true. I recently picked up the MKV airlift slam kit with manual management from ECS tuning...awesome price and should be pretty easy for a first time air noob to install at home. I had a kid last week so time is critical and I just couldnt justify spending gobs of money on the suspension setup as I just bought my wheels recently and they were not cheap!. So when I saw the pricing for the manual air lift kits and saw how nice everyone was saying their stuff was I figured why the hell not...I may regret not saving up and doing it big the first time but this is how I learn..
This is all taking place at Spangdahlem Germany im stationed here with the Air force have been in 6 years so far and 3 years of it has been here in Germany. I recently got approved for an extension giving me until 2014 to live here...I could not be happier..thats 7 years of my life in Germany.
So here is the rundown. I will post pics of the install and everything as it goes along right now its all just a bunch of dreams sitting in my basement.
Car is a 2009 united grey GTI
Stage 2+ APR flash and ebay catless downpipe.
Minor exterior mods include badgless grill smoked mirrors and sidemarkers. Working on finding a place to do my hood notch fill for a decent price...nothing extreme bodywise yet...maybe in time.
My wheels are my pride and joy...I saw them on RBwheels last year and had to get them...They are Work Equip M1's (mesh) redrilled from 5x114 to 5x112. I just found out they are in the 2010 Ultimate wheel and tire guide listed in the rare section

They are 18x9 in the front et 38 and 18x10 rear et 32. Tires will be 205/40/18 and 215/40/18 respectively yoko s-drives.
I have to drive 1hr to belgium to get a guy to mount these...Germany is not as stretch friendly as you would imagine for being the *creators of stretch* What they consider stretch and we Americans consider stretch are two very different things
But since Im not bound to the TUV I can get by it..
Here is a few pics of the wheels and some of the airlift setup...

*switches*

pardon the dust...and the emblem (thanks dr. fraser) ..well its hard to explain just know its a hop grenade and that I love beer...I mean really love beer..I brew my own and its the only way I can legally bring my two loves *cars and beer* together without being dishonorably discharged from the Air force.

Now for the nasty part..I know that my car is extremely dirty it had snowed that weekend when I test fit these wheels and im ashamed but its the only shot that I have showing the fitment and why I know this is going to rock when it all comes together...
Front fitment

Rear fitment...again i apologize for the salty dusty car...

So Im planning on doing the install after the parents leave town from visting the baby...I could really use any advice and/or help on it since there is basically nobody in this area familiar with air ride installs unless I drive to bullock style and pay an arm and a leg.
Basically any tips that someone might not think about for their first install I would really appreciate it..

Modified by Residentevol at 1:29 PM 3-21-2010

Modified by Residentevol at 1:30 PM 3-21-2010

Modified by Residentevol at 1:32 PM 3-21-2010

Modified by Residentevol at 2:22 PM 3-21-2010

· Registered
2,374 Posts
Re: FV-QR (05slvrstonegray1.8t)

in for this one. love those wheels dude, theyll look great on that car. plus bump for another service member. im in the army (5 1/2 years now) currently in iraq on my 5th tour. Also lived in Germany (my Dad was a Marine) when i was in high school. Good luck on the install man. cant wait to see it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: FV-QR (guesswho)

Thanks for the kind words man....When I deployed to Iraq and met up and talked with some of the Army cats there I will never complain about a damn thing again knowing what I do vs what they did.
But moving on I should have tires mounted next week and there will prob be a good week or two delay in updates due to the family coming into town.

· Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: FV-QR (Jetta11J)

thanks guys I promise this is going to get done soon I just have a ton going on right now so bare with me! BTW I need to send thanks out to DrFraser Crane (his name on vortex here) He is the one that designed the custom decals for me and he is actually redoing some up because I didnt think the gloss black decal looked right in the center of the wheel so he is making some more up in matte black..If anyone needs any stickers made this man was extremely helpful....
Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this setup partially hidden and still keep the spare tire or do I need to just forget that dream...

Modified by Residentevol at 10:39 AM 3-22-2010

· Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: FV-QR (J.Owen)

and an update
tires are mounted...dude in Belgium looked like he did this everyday..no cheetah or brake fluid needed

215/40/18 on 18x10...w/ yoko s-drives.

and the 205/40/18 on 18x9 again yoko s-drives (to those that said they dont stretch

and here is the group shot...you can see if you look closely I still have two wheels to paint the inner barrel black...it just looks wrong silver.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.