VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I somehow managed to lose my entire keychain the other day, wizardry I tell you. Anyway, I lost my backup and now i'm fooked. I've read up the subject and it seems to be a bit confusing. Apparently 2000 golfs may or may not have a 4 digit key code on the door handle.

I've been getting quotes from locksmiths and they want about 250 dollars for the job (wtf m8). Would I be better off going to the stealership(getting towed there etc), or is there some wonderful brilliant vortexer in NY that can help a brother out with a vag com?

cliffs: no keys, whats my best course of action?

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
FV-QR

Three or four years ago my dealership wanted something around $250 for a new key. I'd imagine the prices have gone up ever since.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like I'm revising the gameplan again. I think I'm going to get an immo delete from gonzo and then just get the keys cut from a local locksmith. Immo delete = 60 bucks and the keys shouldn't be too expensive. Hoping I can walk away from this without blowing more than 100 bucks. Maybe I'll even get a full tune from gonzo

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
key fob with trasmitter is about $150 everything has to be paid in full upon ordering usually takes a week for arrival. also has to be ordered by vin. key comes cut from vw. valet key usually about $60 same process. key coding from dealer is additional $100 usual shop time cost per hour. they charge one hour. car has to be at dealer obv. to do the coding. really no way around it. most locksmiths dont have the tool to do the cutting. :beer:

goodluck

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
key fob with trasmitter is about $150 everything has to be paid in full upon ordering usually takes a week for arrival. also has to be ordered by vin. key comes cut from vw. valet key usually about $60 same process. key coding from dealer is additional $100 usual shop time cost per hour. they charge one hour. car has to be at dealer obv. to do the coding. really no way around it. most locksmiths dont have the tool to do the cutting. :beer:

goodluck
What you just explained is what I've realized and why I decided to go around it, if you read my previous post. Immo delete 60 bucks + new cut keys = win

·
Registered
977 Posts
The problem is you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.

2,397 Posts
OP Title said:
"I dun goofed"
Miscer detected

The problem is you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.
Aware

-----------------------------------------------------------

In all seriousness, I hope you get this resolved OP :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
who let dr. phil in here?

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
who let dr. phil in here?
I check into small hotel a few kilometers from Kiev. It is late. I am tired. I tell woman at desk I want a room. She tells me room number and give key. “But one more thing comrade; there is one room without number and always lock. Don’t even peek in there.” I take key and go to room to sleep.

Night comes and I hear trickling of water. It comes from the room across. I cannot sleep so I open door. It is coming from room with no number. I pound on door. No response. I look in keyhole. I see nothing except red.

Water still trickling. I go down to front desk to complain. “By the way who is in that room?” She look at me and begin to tell story.

There was woman in there. Murdered by her husband. Skin all white, except her eyes, which were red.

I tell her I don’t give a ****. Stop the water trickling or give me refund. She gave me 100 ruble credit and free breakfast.
Such is life in Moscow

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.