VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
haha, well.... it's no lexus, but i sent this truck to pasture... (1990 ford F150 1/2 ton, 4x2)

to fund/make room for this truck.. (it's an 88 chevy silverado, 4x4. 2500 (3/4 ton) with a 350ci 5.7L V8, auto+od, 4x4, all power, fully loaded, long bed short cab.. it needed a bunch of things, but in the past 48 hours i've taken care of MOST of them, save the transmission and rear differential... haha, minor details.... but it's all being worked out, and i'm getting a fair shake... it runs very well, rides firm and smooth, and give it another 2-3 weeks, it'll be near perfect.... i'll be updating as she progresses
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif did i mention, it's a 4x4??
)

(those are my keys hangning out of the door)

just wait till I post up the pics of it doing a SICK posi bake show....... if it does nothing else, it lays nastttttttttttty rubber hehe

Modified by JoeJetta91 at 12:39 AM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: I fell inlove with a truck this weekend...and now I am driving it!! (JoeJetta91)

I don't know why, but I've always liked blue interiors on pretty much any vehicle. Sweet truck, I guess.
4x4ing is pretty damn fun.
On a related note, can anyone tell me what the difference is between a 1/2 ton truck and a 3/4 ton one? Besides 1/4 ton? I've always wondered what that means.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Re: I fell inlove with a truck this weekend...and now I am driving it!! (Monkey Magic)

and the poor baby cried.....in the ghetto.....(whisper) in the gheeeettoooooooo (/whisper)

·
Banned
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: I fell inlove with a truck this weekend...and now I am driving it!! (Y2KRICEBOY)

excuse me? the poor baby cried... "that bigass mothafucca just ran over our car, my car seat and alll"
our house is so ghetto, too..

it's a beast to be used primarily for work purposes, i'm a house painter for the next 4 months or so, and come winter the 4x4 will be nice... and seeing as i can only drive between 6am-10pm, it's fine for what I need

Modified by JoeJetta91 at 12:59 AM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
26,613 Posts
Re: I fell inlove with a truck this weekend...and now I am driving it!! (Y2KRICEBOY)

That must have the 4:10 rear end to do a smokeshow. My dad's C2500 2wd with the 350 and 3:73 rear end won't do a decent burnout to save its life.
The 350's are known to have valve stem seal issues--it'll likely smoke on startup--but they run forever.
The 700R4 will last quite a long time, but when they go, they go. Worthwhile to throw a shift kit, high-stall torque converter, and bigger cooler in it.
A high-flow cat and full 3" exhaust with Flowmaster works wonders, and sounds great.

·
Banned
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: I fell inlove with a truck this weekend...and now I am driving it!! (JoeJetta91)

btw, for me, it means like 3 extra bundles of siding, or a few extra bags of cement mix, i don't know, i didn't pay much attention to the capacity, just sorta threw whatever would fit in the ford.. it did well haha

well whatever it's got back there for the rear end and tranny ALL needs replacing, it's worn out and tired..
truck's only got 113k on the clock, and it's all done. not sure what happened, but it's all being replaced soon enough, thinking about a shift kit but eh, it'll be FS: soon enough, i just need it to function

Modified by JoeJetta91 at 12:57 AM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Re: I fell inlove with a truck this weekend...and now I am driving it!! (Monkey Magic)

Quote, originally posted by Monkey Magic »

On a related note, can anyone tell me what the difference is between a 1/2 ton truck and a 3/4 ton one? Besides 1/4 ton? I've always wondered what that means.

The axles are beefier and the springs are of a higher rating. That is really the only difference besides option differences.

·
Registered
12,781 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JoeJetta91 »

well whatever it's got back there for the rear end and tranny ALL needs replacing, it's worn out and tired..

Now ain't you glad it's a domestic
, that can all be done for under a grand I'm sure.
Truck looks sweet. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Re: I fell inlove with a truck this weekend...and now I am driving it!! (vw86gti)

HAHA! (laughing about the thread title)
Nice truck, I hope you got a good deal on it.
It should take good care of you.
I guess its more practical for you than my Jetta ever would be
(see sig link
)
-Ash

·
Registered
30,004 Posts

Ahhh man I really liked your Ford
It has the better ******* persona that I think you were going for

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Hey, I remember when you bought that Ford and fixed it up.
Did you end up making money on it? Or at least coming close to breaking even?

·
Banned
6,574 Posts
Re: I fell inlove with a truck this weekend...and now I am driving it!! (dts)

those 88 to 94 or so GM trucks are sweet. if pickup trucks could look "euro" they'd look just like those.

·
Registered
14,399 Posts
Re: I fell inlove with a truck this weekend...and now I am driving it!! (DCS)

Why does it seem like you only take night pics???

·
Registered
15,158 Posts
Re: I fell inlove with a truck this weekend...and now I am driving it!! (surefooted)

Good job Joe, you finally got a real truck
I drove one very similar to that when I moved pianos for a living. It had a 454 and with a bed full of equipment and a trailor holding two baby grands, that thing would roast through granny, 1st and well into 2nd

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Re: I fell inlove with a truck this weekend...and now I am driving it!! (SidVicious)

My dad's got a 1990 Chevy Silverado he bought just cos a friend was selling it cheap
Nice trucks, those. And, ours being a v6, it actually gets alright fuel economy

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Re: I fell inlove with a truck this weekend...and now I am driving it!! (matoo3)

Quote, originally posted by matoo3 »

The axles are beefier and the springs are of a higher rating. That is really the only difference besides option differences.

And larger front rotors (thicker), larger rear drums (wider shoes), 6 lugnuts.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts

(it's an 88 chevy silverado, 4x4. 2500 (3/4 ton) with a 350ci 5.7L V8, auto+od, 4x4, all power, fully loaded, long bed short cab..

I had a '90 1500 with a similar drivetrain - being a true *******, I installed a throttle-body riser, AirRaid intake and March pulleys along with a Jet-chip 6-pack and a Flowmaster.
Does the rear-end just clunk when you shift into gear? If so, that's normal - don't ask, it just is. As for the 700R4 - the internals are fairly lightweight so you'd be wise to install a mild shift kit when you get it rebuilt (don't go for the strip setup that my buddy put in my truck when I wasn't looking - I'd chirp tires in 2nd gear all day long).
The only other big problem with GM trucks is their incredible lack of brakes - do yourself an immediate favor and replace the front pads with Performance Friction. While you're underneath the truck, replace the shocks with Bilsteins. Mine had the Z71 package which supplied standard Bilsteins. I liked'em so much that I put Bilsteins on my new truck - you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts

Haha! Nice socks!

·
Banned
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: I fell inlove with a truck this weekend...and now I am driving it!! (Maflagulator)

haha thanks for the compliments

i need to make a shopping list, and prioritize it... the dude i got the truck from is supplying a tranny now i guess, replacement for the one that's in there, and I'm to pay a shop to drop the old one and stuff the new one in.... i dono, the details are sketchy, and i still need to iron it out, but i don't think there'll be money leftover for a shift kit...
i'm not going overboard with this one, it'll be repaired so it's in good mechanical condition, it'll be hand stroked by me bumper to bumper so it looks nice, and a few small add-on's are in order... but beyond that, it'll be driven and FS:.

in answer to your question, (forgot who it was above) i made a little over $800 profit on the sale of the Ford. that's not counting my time/effort that I put into that, but that's free because it's 'leisure' time.. i enjoy doing this... buy it/fix it/ sell it.... i hope by mid fall to have a 96 or so chevy/ford 1 ton with a plow.... lets see if i can do it

*edit... i was out for the late-night puff of the magic dragon.... haha don't mind me sitting in the middle of the street in the middle of the night with no shoes on, taking digicam pics of my old truck
neighbors love me, look at the mess i've made of the street... haha

Modified by JoeJetta91 at 3:40 PM 7-2-2003

·
Banned
932 Posts

upgrade the headlights and throw some 24"s on it

1 - 20 of 32 Posts