VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By mistake, the gas station attendant filled my car with 87 instead of premium. I have only used 93 grade so far. Can anyone suggest any sort of treatment, such as the STP products etc. that I can use. I've heard that even using one full tank of 87 grade fuel can damage the 1.8T engine.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Re: I filled my 1.8T with 87 instead of 93 grade fuel. HELP!!! (rsb450)

if it were diesel fuel that was put in i can see going overboard,otherwise dont get all worked up over something minor,just take it easy ,if it dosnt ping,then dont worry,otherwise just top off when you can w/premium

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife mistakenly filled up with regular a couple of weeks ago with our 1.8T. After a few days, we started to get rough idleing when first starting the engine up and then we'd get the "Emmissions Workshop" chime and indicator on the dash after driving a block or so. Looking at the forum here, it could have been anything from bad gas to the catalytic converter. Luckily for us, all these symptoms stopped as soon as we got down to a quarter tank and filled up with premium again - took a couple short trips after filling up, actually. Anyway, we learned a lesson. Just glad it wasn't a costly one. Don't panic if you get any warning lights and chimes.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Re: (slotibartfast)

Funny, I think I read on the VW website, under the specifications for the 1.8T Passat, that premium was "recommended for maximum performance" or something to that effect. It did not say "premium required". Many here have said that they used mid-grade or regular without any noticeable difference in performance or mileage, but others have noticed a drop in both mpg and acceleration. Maybe the newer models are better equipped to use lower octane fuels?
The most common cause for that emissions workshop warning is not tightening the gas cap. Be sure to hear at least 3 "ticks" when tightening the cap. If a loose cap is the cause, it usually clears up within a few starts after tightening.

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Re: (BlueInk)

The first week we owned a TDI jetta my wife took it to the gas station and put 1.5 gallons of regular in it
When she relized what she was doing she stopped and put 11 or 12 gallons of diesel in it and 50k miles later the car never had any problems.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm running regular right now. Gas prices have gone up 60 cents a gallon here now and it is costing me an extra $75 a month or so betwen my wife and I to gas up the cars. So we have been using mid-grade with no problems or noticable performance loss. I put regular in because the mid-grade was broken.

·
Registered
162 Posts

My dealership told me that I should use nothing but 87 in my Passat 1.8t. Of course, when even 87 is two bucks a gallon, any other differences between the grades get thrown out the window.
Pete

·
Registered
4,454 Posts

Just burn this tank, and fill back up with 93 octane gas.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Re: (g60rabbit)

Quote, originally posted by g60rabbit »
The first week we owned a TDI jetta my wife took it to the gas station and put 1.5 gallons of regular in it
When she relized what she was doing she stopped and put 11 or 12 gallons of diesel in it and 50k miles later the car never had any problems.

Hah! I can beat that story! While my wife was in school in the mid 1980's, she and a friend had to visit NYC for an intern interview. On the return, her friend accidentally dumped about 2/3 of a tank of diesel into a gas powered Toyota. Surprisingly, the car still ran, but badly...very badly. By the time they got back to Philadelphia, the entire rear third of the car was heavily coated in black soot. To my knowledge, he never did anything other than just fill it up with gas later. Testimony to the flexibility of a Toyota engine!
Back on topic, I'd just fill up next time with whatever grade you want. The difference in the price between grades has grown smaller with the price increases, both numerically and even more so percentage-wise. I'm using 93 AKI and it's all good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
BOTTOM LINE
It's too late to do anything anyways... If your that worried then run off a few gallons and fill it up with premium.
Unless your engine knocks don't worry about it. But accoring to my manual for a 2000 it says 87 to 93 with 91 being the recommended. I am using 87 and it is my first tank of it. I will go to 89 or 91 because the difference it .10 or less so it wont even be a $2 difference for that.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Oh my GOD...

no, don't worry. I switched to regular right after I bought my used GTI and so far it's runs fine. Like others have said, the owner's manual states you can use it. You just won't get optimum performance.
BTW, used regular for all my cars (including Passat V6, multiple Hondas) and have never had any problems with pinging etc...

·
Registered
21 Posts
i use regular from time to time, and i've never had any real problems. i do think that there is a slight difference in MPG and acceleration. this isn't based on any scientific data, per se.... just something i've noticed.

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
Re: (wtmcgee)

If you're really worried about it, just drive it until you use a quarter tank, fill up with 93, drive for a quarter tank, fill up, etc. That'll dilute the gas pretty quickly.

·
Registered
97 Posts

If you look in the back of your manual in the Tecnical Specifications section (I think it may be labeled 3.4) it says that the fuel requirement for the 1.8T is unleaded regular or premium. There's an asterick next to premium that says to use premium for optimum performance.
Last winter I switched to regular and have only noticed a .5 to 1.5 reduction in miles per gallon at the most. I've noticed no marked change in performace although I don't drive on the edge anyway.
In some respects using regular might even be beneficial because if it does reduce your horsepower output then the transmission and driveline components would be subject to less stress when operating at full throttle.
I personally think that VW specifies premium in order to gain the small advantage in gas milage when certifying the Passat with the EPA. Every fraction of improvement in mpg goes to increase the overall CAFE numbers and allows them to sell more higher profit, less fuel efficient vehicles like the W8 and the Toureg.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If your that worried about using regular, use an octane booster with it when you fill up. It boost 87 up to around 93 quality, doing that saves me about 50 a month.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Re: I filled my 1.8T with 87 instead of 93 grade fuel. HELP!!! (lloyd123)

If you are so worry about the octane, here is my suggestion. Get a can of Octane Boost and add the entire bottle to your gas tank. That will eliminate the low octane problem.
As a matter of fact what i have done often is when any octane boost product is on sale I would stock up on them. I would then fill my 1.8T Passat wagon or my EuroVan with the 87 octane fuel and then add the octane boost. It is a slightly cheaper than buying premium fuel especially in California.
Hope this help.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Re: I filled my 1.8T with 87 instead of 93 grade fuel. HELP!!! (Vindesign)

If you're really, really worried about it. you can pop the hood, undo the clamp and the hose from the fuel rail, get a small rubber hose (aprox. the same size) plug it into the fule rail, get a gas can (okay get a couple of them)put the other end of the hose in the can. Turn on the car and walla. You can drain the tank of whatever is in it. I used to do this at the track so I could get a couple gallons of race gas and use the 100 octane APR program

·
Registered
South Florida
5,178 Posts

Quote, originally posted by rsb450 »
By mistake, the gas station attendant filled my car with 87 instead of premium. I have only used 93 grade so far. Can anyone suggest any sort of treatment, such as the STP products etc. that I can use. I've heard that even using one full tank of 87 grade fuel can damage the 1.8T engine.

Relax man your not going to do any damage to your engine at all. As long as your not chipped. The computer will adjust the timming so the engine will not knock. Just run it through, you might wanna put in 93 every couple of days to dilute out the 87 if it'll make you feel better. I put 87 im my dads Passat 1.8t all the time, still runs like a champ.

·
Registered
389 Posts

The octane rating is the gasolines ability to resist knock(preignition) I always use 91 in my 1.8T but when cash is short a little bit of 87 doesn't hurt. If you're really worried put some BG44k in your tank. that stuff is awesome. so can you get 93 at any gas station where you are? I'm in colorado and I only know of one place(so far) that sells 93. My car gets that when i have a good paycheck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts