VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy poop this car is wonderful.....
It's an '87 red 16v with 152,000mi (mostly highway, and female driven) New A3 tranny with 30,000miles, new clutch, and new timing belt&tensioner.
The problems......
It needs 4 good tires, heater core(badly!), sunroof fixed, the dash is cracked (they all are....), the bodykit on the passengers side is faded, as are the bumpers. The front struts will need replacing soon. Other then that it's a decent car. I paid $1,500 for it, so I think I got a good deal. Oh, and it needs the rear motormount (the tranny one).
Today was the first time I ever drove the car, actully, any scirocco or 16v for that matter. So, the guy filled up the tires for me and got the key and after sitting for about 3 months it started after about two cranks due to a bad battery. Idled at about 2k then came to rest at a steady 1k. No smoke either
So, he threw a dealer plate on it and I took it down the road. Things were stiff after sitting and the snow tires were really noisy, but it was all tight. I drove it around for a good 5 mins to warm it up then I stopped to turn around to see what it would do. I pulled onto the road and punched it in 1st, shifted at a little under 6k, and I hit 60 in second gear in at least 7 seconds.....(because the tranny that is in there is a long ratio '98 jetta tranny, so I was only at about 6k in second at 60mph) My friend and I jut looked at eachother and started giggling (real mature right?
) So, I got back to the dealer with an ear to ear grin and the car was sold

I go to pick it up (hopefuly) tomarrow......I'm psyked, this thing is a real car....unlike my 1987 Jetta GL (but the Jetta was still Peppy.....)
So.....I'm finally a Scirocco owner, I've wanted one for about a year and a half, and now I have one....I'm happier then a dubber in a.....well, you know

· Registered
4,395 Posts
Re: I finally bought a 16v Scirocco....impressions..... (vwnut84)

I sold my VR6 Jetta when I bought my Scirocco. There is nothing like an A1 16v.

· Registered
2,768 Posts
Re: I finally bought a 16v Scirocco....impressions..... (Jota)

Sound slike your gonna have fun !
I also acquired recently a 16v 88 rocco, and I have to admit there is a big difference in power against my 85 8v rocco, the handling of the road is very different, and I love it...
pics pf my cars on my web site listed below!

· Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: I finally bought a 16v Scirocco....impressions..... (rockin16v)

Wow, I woke up this morning and I ran out to my garage to see if it was still sleeping

The first thing I have to do today is fix that god damn motormount, and see if I can make sense of this wiring hackjob for the radio
some people.......
I also found out last night when I picked up the car that it has had almost nothing overlooked when repaired because the car was commuting about 70 miles each way a day, so that gave me a little more reasurance on my new purchace

Next week a friend of mine/co-worker is selling me his set of 15" BBS's (you know, the later GLI ones) for about $100
and I have the tires for them sitting in the garage, 195/50/15s, Pirelli P700Zs with about 60% life left.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.