VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...it looks almost exactly like a Toyota Corolla!
This morning, on my way to work, behind me was a new Jetta, and in the next lane over was a new Corolla of the same color. I had to do a double-take, but I swear it's true.
Compare the slope and lines of the hood, and especially the rear of the car (with the little lip, and the round tail light pattern). They are almost identical.
Not that a Corolla is a bad car, they are some of the best built and reliable Japanese cars on the market... But I dont think they should have made the Jetta look like one
A big http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif on the new Jetta...
-pauly

·
Registered
19,732 Posts
Re: I finally figured out what I don't like about the new Jetta (BlackMagic_M66)

Quote, originally posted by BlackMagic_M66 »
told the local dealer it looked like a corolla last month when he asked me if i wanted to trade in my R for a new jetta

hahahha..that gave me a good laugh

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Re: I finally figured out what I don't like about the new Jetta (sdpauly)

The funny thing is that my local VW dealer has a chart comparing the Toyota Corolla to the new Jetta.
For me, the champange color that is used in a lot of ads has a very corolla look to it. The car is not as bad in other colors. That orage color on the MKV (in the featured section of the Vortex) has actually peaked my interest in the MKV Golf platform. I'll have to see it in person & I probably won't be trading my R32 for that.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Re: I finally figured out what I don't like about the new Jetta (sdpauly)

Right on the head! I've seen quite a few in my neck of the woods, and every time I think. . What the hell is VW doing? Look at the GLI with 18's, it looks phat. .How the hell do go from that to "that."
A conformist's car.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Re: I finally figured out what I don't like about the new Jetta (xOphear)

People have been saying this since we saw the first pictures. Yes, it is a similar shape, but the Jetta does it much better. The Corolla is cheesy with an almost unfinished look to it. The body kit on the "sport" model is hideous.
My favorite color so far on the new Jetta is white. I usually don't like white cars. The new shape is growing on me like the MkIV did. I will probably like it in a year or so.

·
Registered
11,744 Posts
Re: I finally figured out what I don't like about the new Jetta (Icantdrive65)

R content here? Other than "I sure as hell won't be trading my R in on one of those Corollas"...

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
Re: (baron76)

I say this every time this comes up, which is often:
The Toyota Corolla is the best selling car in the world.
The Jetta is VW's bread and butter car.
We are not the average car buyer.
The average car buyer wants an innocuous appliance to get them from A to B.
If VW could sell half as many Jettas as Toyota sells Corollas, they would be deep into the black ink and could offer us many R models in the future.
VW is not Ferrari, every car they produce isn't (and shouldn't be) a road carving work of visual art.
/As someone else pointed out, where's the R content?

·
Registered
15,766 Posts
Re: (rabbitgtibbar)

Quote, originally posted by rabbitgtibbar »
The average car buyer wants an innocuous appliance to get them from A to B.

Yep. My girlfriend, back when my R was in the body shop after my fender-bender, and I was driving a Camry as a rental car:
"You know, you should sell your car and get something like this. You drive much slower in this car, and I don't feel any road bumps, and it totally doesn't matter if the interior or exterior gets messed up."
I of course went on a diatribe about the fact that I only drove slower because the car had horrible brakes and didn't handle well and I didn't feel safe in it going above 65 or 70 MPH, and how I liked to be able to feel the road, etc.
Point being, she's one of the people you're speaking about, Jeremy. For most people, cars exist just to get you from A to B, beer exists just to get you drunk, etc. Completely different mindset, and it's probably why she couldn't give two shíts about my car, whereas I seriously love it.

(And yeah, the Jetta really does look a LOT like a Corolla...especially the front end and the headlights!!
)

Modified by Mike Solo at 8:27 AM 7-24-2005

·
Registered
15,766 Posts
Re: (BadasslilGTI)

Quote, originally posted by BadasslilGTI »
welcome to when it was introduced almost a yr ago

I know, I know, I just hadn't seen a picture of them side-by-side like that!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.