VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I flipped my car over...

*Update 2017.03.05

Sold her to someone what will continue the build.
She's in good hands : )

*Update 2016.09.18*

:screwy:

This project has opened up numerous opportunities, provided me with new skills, and created friendships that I cherish to this day.

It's been a crazy journey and after being on hiatus with her for several years I have decided that it would be best for me to try and pass the project along to a new owner.

I want to thank everyone that followed the thread and provided me with support over the course of the build.

Your support and motivation has guided my journey and allowed me to secure a career engineering performance parts in the automotive aftermarket scene. :)

If you are interested in purchasing the car and continuing the build please check out the classifieds.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8192857-FS-1998-VW-GTI-63K-Chicago

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8192841-FS-1998-VW-GTI-63K-Chicago

If you are curious about my current/future projects feel free to follow me on instragram. :pic:
https://www.instagram.com/adam_miszta/

Thanks! :beer:

-Adam

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:laugh:

I finally flipped my car over, well ok I got it sideways:p

I figured this would be a great starting point to introduce my build.

I bought this car a couple of months ago as a rolling chassis which served a dual purpose as a storage compartment. All the parts that weren't taken from the car were piled up inside it.
:rolleyes:

My original intent was to use the car for body parts. I have a rusting strut tower that needs tending on my DD,a 97 sequoia green vr6.

After weighing out the pros and cons of both of my cars, I decided to start fixing up the silver car.

The small amount of rust it has compared to my green vr makes it the better candidate. It only has a hole in the floor, some rust by the gas lid and the rocker panels. In addition to the rust it also has front end damage... The hood, passenger fender, and windshield need to be replaced. (I'll try and post pics or video later)

My green vr is slowly turning into a rust bucket.... :(
It has rust in ever imaginable problem area. The hatch, doors, quarter panels, floor, gas lid, corner of the roof, strut tower.... However, the interior is almost flawless, and the engine pulls!

I will use all the interior parts from this car along with the engine trans and anything else I may end up needing.

I guess you could call this a "stock" build (or a vr6 swap since the silver one was a two.slow ;)). I have a couple of modifications that I will do while I have certain parts already out of the car.

I plan on slightly shaving the bay and doing some rust prevention to this car.

The final product should be a car with a solid body that will last me for years to come.

Then I will save up for major performance upgrades.

My beloved vr

This is my first real project car. I'm a little intimidated.... I want it to turn out perfect and I know that this will take a lot of work. I have been doing a lot of research on how I should proceed with the build. Any tips or helpful thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Things I plan on doing before I park my vr:

-Removing and reapplying the undercoat

-Welding in a part of the frame rail

-Welding up a hole in the floor

-Slightly shaving the bay

(I'll try and post updates as progress comes along.)

·
Registered
16,429 Posts
ha, not a bad rotisserie. :beer:

good luck. chicago winters and chicago roads are murder to vehicles.

·
Registered
17,648 Posts
i feel your pain on front end damage but thankfully i didnt have any rust. ive got a new body im using but I havnt stripped it to your extent so i'm not 100% on rust but it looks clean.

good luck with the swap :thumbup: ill need some myself in early october

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Yes you finally made a build thread! If you ever need help, don't hesitate to give me a call

Good luck man :thumbup:

·
Registered
180 Posts
This thread seems like it will deliver! :thumbup:

has no one figured out a good "hot water" home rinse off system for cars in snowy/salt climes yet?
I would tend to think that in the colder months, rinsing the car off with hot water would just freeze that much quicker. Not sure though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
has no one figured out a good "hot water" home rinse off system for cars in snowy/salt climes yet?
If you think it's marketable and put in orders! Yes it will dry but only if you use waters. I built a device some years ago that cleaned and dried my undercarriage on my integra

1 - 20 of 231 Posts