VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several attempts to get the right pad/product combo to correct swirls on my 2004 Touareg, I think it is safe to say that Optimum just cant correct it as much as I would like.
I got some decent results when I used OC and OP a while back, but there were still some swirls. I have read and read and read again about different things to try and I cant seem to get it right.
This definitely has more to do with my clear than anything else, but there has to be a better solution for me to use. SIP is next on the list I guess.
Here are some pictures of my last attempts:
Amount of Product Used:

After 2 passes Yellow/2 Passes Orange of Hyper Compound:

After Optimum Polish:

Does anyone recommend any other products that might work better for me? If I use SIP, should I get some other polish to use after the SIP?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
You're not working it correctly (somehow) if you're getting little to no results with OC/Yellow. That's a tough combo right there. What size area do you work? How long do you work an area? How many passes until you stop and wipe off? What does it look like when you wipe off (still visible, slightly visible, barely able to be seen)?
BTW, 4 dots of that product on that small area in the picture is too much.
Yes, you should in most cases follow up with IP/FP/PO85RD after using SIP to clear up any haze.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (FliGi7)

I usually work 4 or more passes(overlapping up and down passes). I repeated this 2 times with yellow, then I followed with 2 times orange.The area I am working on is in the picture, I am using it as my test area before I do the rest of the car.
Shiny and swirly is what it looks like to me when I wipe off.
Am I limited by the PC7424 here? With a PC, will I ever be able to get enough cut to get rid of swirls like the ones in the picture?
I'll try less product and more time and see if I can get some better results.I want something to work here.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Re: (barrijm)

Quote, originally posted by barrijm »

I'll try less product and more time and see if I can get some better results.I want something to work here.

I think that's your next step. I just fail to see how you could get so little result from this combo, but you never know. Any chance this had been repainted?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (FliGi7)

I don't think so, but anything is possible b/c I bought it used.
I am so confused at this point. I want something that works, no matter what time/effort is required. I hear so many different opinions that it is hard to decide which direction to go...
For example, I spoke with someone at a detailing web site because I wanted SIP, which is out of stock everywhere, and he told me that a PC wouldn't offer any more cut with SIP than it would with 106ff. Is there any truth to that?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts

For example, I spoke with someone at a detailing web site because I wanted SIP, which is out of stock everywhere, and he told me that a PC wouldn't offer any more cut with SIP than it would with 106ff. Is there any truth to that?

The only truth from that statement is that the guy you talked to is a complete idiot. 106ff and SIP are different animals. SIP definitely has more cut than 106ff.
Check out the chart here:
http://autogeek.net/menzerna-of-germany.html
They always have SIP in stock and I buy a ton of my stuff from there.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Re:

While I'd recommend SIP for hard clears, I'd find it hard to believe that Optimum + PC wouldn't reduce the amount of swirling significantly. I'd guess that your technique has a lot to do with the results. If you haven't tried these suggestions already:
- use 4" pads
- work slowly (1 - 2 inches / second)
- press firmly against the paint (don't over-do it otherwise the PC will stop spinning)
- speed 6
The key is to generate enough heat for the polish to break down properly. I don't have any experience with Optimum products, but a lot of people use them with great success. You might be using too much / too little polish as someone else mentioned and that can greatly affect your results.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Re: (me)

I have tried each of those suggestions, but I am going to try working again with different product amounts.
I should get some better results if so many others have success with it, i know I am a n00b with this stuff but it isn't that hard to follow everyone detailed instructions.
I'm still going to try SIP, at the very least I will have another choice when I do other details.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Re: Re: (me)

Quote, originally posted by me »
While I'd recommend SIP for hard clears, I'd find it hard to believe that Optimum + PC wouldn't reduce the amount of swirling significantly. I'd guess that your technique has a lot to do with the results. If you haven't tried these suggestions already:
- use 4" pads
- work slowly (1 - 2 inches / second)
- press firmly against the paint (don't over-do it otherwise the PC will stop spinning)
- speed 6
The key is to generate enough heat for the polish to break down properly. I don't have any experience with Optimum products, but a lot of people use them with great success. You might be using too much / too little polish as someone else mentioned and that can greatly affect your results.

Well, I think we all know that VW clears are notoriously hard.
However, it actually looks like the OC/Yellow combo IS working...those are tell-tale swirls that are induced by the product/pad vs. other environmental marring.
Use less product and move slower and see if that helps. I think the OC/Yellow combo is just fine.
Also, what pad are you using with the OP? I've wondered myself if OP+White pad just isn't enough on VW clears to remove any haze or minor swirls left behind by OC+Yellow. Have you tried using OP+Orange pad?
This weekend I'm thinking about trying the following on my 08' R32.
OC+Yellow
OP+Orange
Optimum Poli-Seal+White
OCW

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Re: Re: (FliGi7)

Quote, originally posted by FliGi7 »
Looks like a 4" yellow pad in the first pic.

Yeah, looks like he's using OHC+Yellow then OHC+Orange then I'm assuming OP+White.
Man...if you're using OHC+Yellow...that's even more aggressive than OC+Yellow. Like I said, I use OC+Yellow on my 08 VW and it is more than enough to get the marring out.
It's gotta be technique man.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Re: (me)

Quote, originally posted by me »
On Autopia, some users have posted videos of their technique for feedback and that's worked out well. If possible, a YouTube video or something would definitely help if possible.

That's not a bad idea...I may do that to get some feedback
(Sorry for the hijack)

·
Registered
11,506 Posts

Shiny and swirly is what it looks like to me when I wipe off.

Ok stop right here ... wipe the area down with 50/50 IPA & water .. I bet the swirls are the oils in the OC.
I use OP all the time and never had a problem with it cutting.. but you get a lot of oily smearing on wipe off.

Modified by Jesstzn at 8:21 PM 5-30-2008

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
Re: (Jesstzn)

By looking at your photos, you are using to agressive of a polish with the PC. If you notice, the swirls in those photos are tight and circular. These are swirls induced by the polish you are using. The PC has trouble breaking down Optimum Hyper Compound.
You really need to follow the Yellow/OHC combo with Orange/OC. Let the polish work for a long while. Make sure you break it down fully. Then, follow with White/OP.
The Orange/OC worked properly should remove those swirls. If you notice, OP is removing them, but it just isn't strong enough to remove the swirls induced by OHC. OC will remove them more easy and it will finish down properly with the PC.

Modified by 67Customs at 10:14 PM 5-31-2008

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (67Customs)

This is probably from my technique which makes this even more funny to me.
I'll try to list everything from the beginning:
-First I tried OP with 6.5" white ccs pads. Then I tried it with Orange 6.5". Nothing was corrected. Some recommended stepping down to OC with a yellow pad.
-Next I ordered some OC and a yellow 6.5" CCS pad. This actually made some progress. I followed with OC + Orange, then OP + White, then LSP. Everything looked great under halogen lights, but I noticed random swirls/marring here and there. After doing some additional research I decided to try OHC and 4" CCS pads.
-I ordered OHC and some 4" pads(yellow, orange, white) for my most recent attempt. See pictures above. I tried again this weekend using less product and different pad combos followed by 50/50 IPA wipedowns. Still no dice. I even tried a test section on the hood of my wife's company car(White 04 Ford Taurus), and I didn't see much progress.
What gives? This doesn't seem all that difficult. I have researched and asked questions, and I have tried hard to follow everyone's advice(smaller pads, less product, more working time, slower motions, higher speeds on the PC, 50/50 IPA wipe downs) and I still cant get decent results.

Here is what i have:
PC 7424
-2 each of yellow, orange, and white 4" LC CCS pads
-2 each of yellow, orange, and white 6.5" LC CCS pads
-Optimum Hyper Compound, Optimum Compound, and Optimum Polish
Given the above list to work with, what would you do?

·
Registered
12,746 Posts

-Next I ordered some OC and a yellow 6.5" CCS pad. This actually made some progress. I followed with OC + Orange, then OP + White, then LSP. Everything looked great under halogen lights, but I noticed random swirls/marring here and there. After doing some additional research I decided to try OHC and 4" CCS pads.
See, here you have the right idea. The OC/yellow followed by OC/orange followed by OP/White. If you simply had randome swirls, then you had the right technique, but you just didn't use a strong enough polish/pad combo to remove the deeper swirls.
Now all you need to do is to just substitute OHC with OC in conjunction with the yellow pad. OHC/yellow followed by OC/orange and then OP/white. You shoulds get the same results before, just without the random swirls.
Working them fully is also a must with Optimum on the PC. And it takes a good long while.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Re: (67Customs)

I have had a lot of luck using Sonus sfx 1 (restore) using the sfx1 cutting pad to get swirls like that out, if in fact that isnt the oils. I followed that up with 3M Finesse It II Maching polish on the sfx 2 pad, Klasse SG and a coat of Mothers Pure Caranuba.
I have to look into getting some LC pads and more polish to experiment with.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.