VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Re: I got a good jab in (antichristonwheels)

nice.. especially when i read today that Ford isn't going to sell their 65mpg diesel fiesta in the states any time in the near future.
the US industry deserves what they're going to get.. most likely will have to unite to stay alive.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Laissez Faire .... Why does the gov't feel so inclined to lend money to failing once american-only corp.'s who, even with the excuse of globalizing, can't keep solvent. I feel no sympathy for a company that failed to keep current. Obviously, I feel bad for GM employees, however maybe the old trifecta (GM/Ford Motor Co./Daimler Chrysler) should have kept that in mind when they made decisions.
Anyways, I hope I dont offend anyone, but business is filled with risks... I say play to win, and if you lose, please dont ask us to devalue our dolar anymore...

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Re: (bigcypress)

Quote, originally posted by bigcypress »
Laissez Faire .... Why does the gov't feel so inclined to lend money to failing once american-only corp.'s who, even with the excuse of globalizing, can't keep solvent. I feel no sympathy for a company that failed to keep current. Obviously, I feel bad for GM employees, however maybe the old trifecta (GM/Ford Motor Co./Daimler Chrysler) should have kept that in mind when they made decisions.
Anyways, I hope I dont offend anyone, but business is filled with risks... I say play to win, and if you lose, please dont ask us to devalue our dolar anymore...

amen to that!!

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
they're ****ing up the free market. how can we get new technologies when the little guys who are trying to be inventive are getting **** blocked by the major ***** like gm who keep producing hybrid suvs that can't even get 30mpg. but i agree with the poster above fully. theres a lot of messed up things with our economy.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Iunno... Free market is supposed to be americas thing. Yet, we give handouts to big business when they cant meet their numbers. I'm not saying government interferance is unprecedented, however the rate at which we are cutting taxes to "help" me and you, loaning money to businesses, spending X amount of dollar a day on the on going "war" on terror, and increasing the number of allowable work visa's is. Iunno, I again I'm not trashing America, cause I love it here. But our Gov't is ****ting the bed. If you think Tax and spend democrats are bad, what about tax cutting spenders? Its always easier to put things on credit right? You dont have to go back to far to see some countries that were bankrupted by war. newayz everyone vote for yourselves this Nov. 4, 2008

·
Registered
4,809 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bigcypress »
Iunno... Free market is supposed to be americas thing. Yet, we give handouts to big business when they cant meet their numbers. I'm not saying government interferance is unprecedented, however the rate at which we are cutting taxes to "help" me and you, loaning money to businesses, spending X amount of dollar a day on the on going "war" on terror, and increasing the number of allowable work visa's is. Iunno, I again I'm not trashing America, cause I love it here. But our Gov't is ****ting the bed. If you think Tax and spend democrats are bad, what about tax cutting spenders? Its always easier to put things on credit right? You dont have to go back to far to see some countries that were bankrupted by war. newayz everyone vote for yourselves this Nov. 4, 2008

"... the irony: the system I appose affords me the luxury, of biting the hand that feeds...
that's exactly why,
privileged ****'s like me.
should feel obliged to whine and kick and scream."

·
Registered
325 Posts
Re: (tSoG-84bit)

Quote, originally posted by tSoG-84bit »

"... the irony: the system I appose affords me the luxury, of biting the hand that feeds...
that's exactly why,
privileged ****'s like me.
should feel obliged to whine and kick and scream."

^^^ I oppose no system... only seek reformation of the system in place. Furthermore, I appologize for caring about our country and taking a few moments to compile opinion. Speaking out against the wrongs of "the system", as you worded it, is one way to make progress. If silence is your Modis operandi, well there isn't much I can do for you. You may prefer countries like N. Korea, Iran, China. Actually, if you cannot even formulate an oppinion on your/my gov't paying to keep businesss solvent, ide be gladly help you with airfare.
"
The duty of government is to leave commerce to its own capital and credit as well as all other branches of business, protecting all in their legal pursuits, granting exclusive privileges to none.
"
-Andrew Jackson
....but what would he know, right?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

One thing is strange to me though. All of these domestic car companies have WAY too much excess capacity. So they are loaning that time and capacity to other companies. Which is why you see stuff like this http://www.usatoday.com/money/...N.htm.
The only thing that is saving GM right now is the fact that they are utilizing their foreign capacity more and more. Which is why we have the Saturn Astra (AKA Opel Astra).
To the comment above about the EV1. First off, the EV1 is a piece of [email protected]#t.
http://www.time.com/time/speci....html
I've seen it in person, sat in it, and i know most of the history behind it. The EV1 was not profitable because the batteries were too expensive...and they had horrendous heat issues. In order to get them into the mainstream, they had to create a leasing program that was at a constant loss to GM. They couldn't make them affordable enough to make them worthwhile to the market. Just look at the people who had them...umm...mostly celebrities.
I don't feel sorry for a company that creates gas guzzling V8's when they smelled the rising cost of oil a mile away. GM had been working on the electrovette in the early '80's (uhhh. that's almost 30 years) You would think they would have maybe an ounce of an idea for making a combustion engine be more efficient. Maybe it's because the oil companies own the majority share in the engineering department at MIT and won't let them.
...Sorry just ranting.

Modified by definition56 at 6:56 AM 9-10-2008

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.