VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after whining last week about missing my Corrado, I can now say that my pain is over! It's baaaaaaack!
First off, let me say how cool the crew up at New German Performance is. Dave is a great guy to deal with, and was very helpful. They actually found and fixed a few problems that I was not even aware that the car had, and solved one of my major annoyances that would have taken me a while to troubleshoot myself.
They did the full MKIV head gasket job, including re-machining the head. Also replaced the timing chain, tensioners, and guides, and installed a full set of Turn2 mounts. This is what I asked them to do - in addition, they found a couple of "interesting" things that the previous owner's mechanic had done... like removing the boot from the clutch slave cylinder! They replaced and or fixed a couple of things without charging me extra labor, which was cool.
My one major annoyance with the car was that it didn't like to go in to first gear at all sometimes. I had thought that this might have been caused by that little plastic bushing in the shifter, and had planned on replacing it. Turns out that it was a broken arm on the tranny end of the linkage - $5 part, and my shifting woes are GONE. Thanks!
Anyhow...
I love the way the cars feels now - rock solid, and fast as ever. The Turn2 mounts did add a suprisingly large amount of cabin vibration - enough that Dave warned me of the fact before he gave me the keys back, and told me that if I really didn't like it, to come back and they'd swap the stock one (which still has some life in it) back in. So here's a question for those with full sets of Turn2's - how bad is your cabin vibration? Does it "settle in" with time? I think it may be less bad now than it was the other day, but I'm not sure if I'm not just deluding myself.
Aside from that, I'm SO happy to be driving the Corrado again. It's great. And I've even got tomorrow and Friday off from work to tool around with it and get my stereo installed, along with a bunch of other junk I need to do to it.
Now, to see about that GIAC chip and TT exhaust...

-Tim

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Re: I got my car back!!!!!!! (SilverSLC)

I got some Turn2s, but they were on the car when I got it so I don't really have previous vr6 experience to compare the vibration to. I wouldn't say it vibrates too much, but I do notice it sometimes. I've never thought it was bad enough to get it looked at.

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: I got my car back!!!!!!! (SilverSLC)

Woo-hoo! Now both the Enders brothers are back in their Corrados!
Mine went back on the road this morning. I'm speechless - I'd forgotten how nice these things are to drive. It was a 70 mile trip from where it was stored to my apartment, and I was grinning the whole time.
-Nate

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Re: I got my car back!!!!!!! (SaabFan)

Tell me about it! My baby was in the garage for a week and in the shop for the second week. I jsut got it back form the shop after having my entire coolant system replaced. $996 later I drove home in it wit ha grin on my face the whole 10 mile drive home! I thought I hada problem when Ileft the lot and the car lagged a bit off the line. Light after light I thougth I was going to ahve to turn around and take it back to see where all my power went to. Stupid me realized 1/2 way hoem that the air conditioner was on.
Anyways, gonna take it back next month for a new serpentine belt and some UR pullies installed. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I love my car. Can't believe I was thinking about selling it.

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: I got my car back!!!!!!! (daredvl2b)

If you guys (Tim and daredvl2b) think it is cool getting your car back after a week or two in the shop, imagine my delight - driving it for the first time in 5 months.

It was an especially nice feeling since I'd had the whole front end of the car apart, and rebuilt the charger - it was great to just drive it away without any problems or anything.
-Nate

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Re: I got my car back!!!!!!! (DesperadoRado)

ah yes. i just dusted of the cob webs of my c as well. that first winding out of the gears to 6k on the highway just make it all worth while to have this car. i was grinning half way down 95.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.