VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after just reading all the post, i guess now i have to register, sense i just picked up a 2003 Jetta GLI with the vr6 and a 6 speed omg this car is awesome. I wanted a jetta or gti for sportyness and decent mpg, and its just so much fun, im always getting on it.

I used to have a 2wd 2.2l 4cly GMC Sonoma and this car pulls hard in 6th gear at like 30mph, then the truck ever did, and it was auto so it would downshift. The first couple time i passed some one, i went from 6th to forth at like 55mph. Wow i floor it to pass them i look at the speedo and it says 90 and other car is way back thier.

Well anyway beside that i love the car, and already want to buy **** for it, only had it for 4 days...haha i guess the car modding addiction had finially bite me...
I was just curiouse where i can get some decent seat covers, would like it say like vw or something. Im an aircraft mechanic and want to try and keep the car as clean as possible.
How about some plastic or rubber floormatts that also say vw or something, i got some toyota ones now, and thier carpet and it already tearing the carpet on the matt up.
And a manual on how to work on this beast

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Re: I gots a new jetta well new to me, omg this car is sweet (jpwamt)

This guy seems excited!!! Wait until he gets his first CEL!!

Seat Covers = Fail (IMO)
Floor Mats = Jetta Monster Mats (Stealership, or any online site Such as ECS)
Manual = Bentley Manual (The bible)
Welcome

Modified by ferrari1.8t at 8:16 PM 7-2-2008

·
Registered
37,355 Posts

Congrats on the new to you GLI.
For seat covers and because of your job, you might want to consider getting a set from here... http://www.wetokole.com
I am sure there are others, but one place I know carries the rubber mats is here... http://www.ecstuning.com/stage...0Mats

Quote, originally posted by ferrari1.8t »
This guy seems excited!!! Wait until he gets his fist CEL!!

He has a VR6, not a 1.8T

·
Registered
55 Posts

To start... welcome to the forums
.... and VR6 doesn't exactly = good MPGs
anyway, everybody on here is going to tell you to lower your car, probably on coilovers. However, you can also explore cup kits or lowering springs (depending on how many miles are on your stock struts)
In terms of mats, VW sells "monster mats" that say "Jetta" on them. Many online dealers sell them, or you can take a trip to your local stealership and order some from them
Have fun and drive safe!

·
Registered
758 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jpwamt »

I was just curiouse where i can get some decent seat covers, would like it say like vw or something. Im an aircraft mechanic and want to try and keep the car as clean as possible.
I used to have a 2wd 2.2l 4cly GMC Sonoma and this car pulls hard in 6th gear at like 30mph, then the truck ever did, and it was auto so it would downshift. The first couple time i passed some one, i went from 6th to forth at like 55mph. Wow i floor it to pass them i look at the speedo and it says 90 and other car is way back thier.

Seat covers?>Just change clothes before you leave work.
90mph>Driving over the speedlimit is against the law.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Re: I gots a new jetta well new to me, omg this car is sweet (JEttaGLSdriver)

i get 33 mpg highway cruising all the time
so to assume that just because we have 2 more cylinders and one more liter in size doesn't mean that vr6 is not an efficient motor

·
Banned
685 Posts
Re: FV-QR (gunmetalgreen)

Welcome!

Quote, originally posted by gunmetalgreen »

btw you car's engine is far bigger then your old truck...simple math 2.8<2.2

ha I think it would be 2.8>2.2

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Re: FV-QR (gunmetalgreen)

Quote, originally posted by gunmetalgreen »
omg woh
btw you car's engine is far bigger then your old truck...simple math 2.8<2.2

LOL Simple math owns gunmetalgreen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: I gots a new jetta well new to me, omg this car is sweet (JEttaGLSdriver)

yea i know i was speeding ohh well we all do it, its just so much fun i cant help it especially after driving a truck that takes like over 10sec just to get to 60mph haha...
as for mpg i recently checked it and got 26 but as you can see i haven't been driving it very nicely, which i never saw that ever in my truck, if i got over 21 in my truck i was doing good best was around 22.
So with the increased economy and hella better perforamnce i cant complain.
pics up in a min

Modified by jpwamt at 6:36 PM 7-2-2008

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

don't get seat covers; because you have airbags in your'e seats and they will not deploy properly with a seat cover

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Re: I gots a new jetta well new to me, omg this car is sweet (bbplaya4lfe)

Quote, originally posted by bbplaya4lfe »
don't get seat covers; because you have airbags in your'e seats and they will not deploy properly with a seat cover

It really is unsafe, and not worth the chance. I believe there are a few companies out there that have a cover designed for seats with airbags, I remember seeing a car with them a few times before. Besides, whats wrong with the square bolster sport seats? I love mine http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
The car/engine/tranny really does get addicting though I will give you that

A CEL isn't really a large issue with the 24v, and whenever something fails its generally parts shared with the other engines that fail commonly as well

Oh, and I always say a VR6 has the option of getting an exhaust before the suspension too

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: I gots a new jetta well new to me, omg this car is sweet (bbplaya4lfe)

well how can i keep it all beautiful, nothings wrong with the seats, i just dont want to wreck them from my work, i can get a little dirty at work.
http://img.photobucket.com/alb...9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/alb...0.jpg
That dent on the bottom of the passenger side and couple small dings are the other things, that irritate me, but i guess it all goes away when you get in and push the gas pedal haah
Is thier anything i can do to bring the leather back to new, it look just a little worn, wrinkly, not torn or anything.
Also what will take scuffs off from the doors, where people hit thier feet when getting out on the bottom of the door.
and ive already been looking at a catback for it, some of the video ive seen on youtube with a magnaflow catback on the vr6 omg sounds amazing.... i guess ive offically been bitten by the car addiction bug...haha

Modified by jpwamt at 6:50 PM 7-2-2008

Modified by jpwamt at 6:56 PM 7-2-2008

·
Registered
94 Posts

Just looked at your profile and it said you're an AME -- great to see some others from the aviation industry around here. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I know what you mean about the seat covers, though -- my family has a 182 (and been flying for 2 years), and you simply can't get within 5 feet of a plane without getting some sort of dirt on you, be it grease, oil, AVGAS...
And I'm jealous, because you live in the Mecca of aviation. Ah well, more fun to make the trip than to live there I suppose

And congrats on the GLI -- you'll have a ton of fun with it. I'll warn you, you'll have tons of people around here wanting you to slam it to the ground and throw some foot-wide rims on it -- I'll just say it's your car, do what you want to it, not others. On that note, got some pics?

EDIT: You just put pics up... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by dan245 at 7:58 PM 7-2-2008

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

If your not very knowledgeable in keeping your car clean, and want to try, I would suggest perhaps finding a reputable detailer in the area, see what he offers and pick what package best fits what your looking for, and when you pick the car up ask for some tips on keeping it looking good. It really isn't too hard to do.
If your more of a DIY'r ther is a detailing forum if you havn't found it yet either. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=24
I have a similar dent in the same place, but it was my own fault which made it worse. Luckily a nice pair of sideskirts covered it up well, which is a good option aside from bodywork.

Modified by VR-Zych at 10:06 PM 7-2-2008

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: I gots a new jetta well new to me, omg this car is sweet (dan245)

yea ive been want to fly for a while now, but its just getting so expensive, mainly with fuel. you can fly down here and give me ride, my faimly has a farm with a privite strip free parking and eaa is in a month or less than that...haha
I was thinking maybe lowering a little, to take up some of the wheel gap, but unless it improve the handle or keep it the same, i wont touch the suspension, i love how it handles like its on rails.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts