VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
23,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my truck in for its last free oil change today and when I went back to pick it up, the service advisor was on the phone with an insurance rep for someone who'd had their Tundra dropped off to have the stolen catalytic converters replaced. The rep, clearly not happy after learning the price of OEM replacements, was trying to get the service advisor to track down aftermarket or used cats (lol) and the service advisor wasn't having it.

He told the rep "I mean, we'll do it, but it will void the warranty, the check engine light will stay on and then you'll just have to pay again to have it fixed right, your choice." They chatted a bit more, then it sounded like the rep asked about ETAs for the new parts. He took a deep breath and said, "Oh man, we have no idea, they are on back order and I have about 75 other ones in our back lot right now waiting on one."

Sure enough, when I left, there were a few rows of trucks, mostly Tundras, all lined up in the back like they were in the Dieselgate storage lot - about as many of them as the new and used cars on their lot for sale.

I set my comp deductible to $100 after I bought this thing and saw how vulnerable the cat is (so I wouldn't worry about it) but having no parts available is something I hadn't considered. I don't feel like spending $400+ on a cat shield, but I guess I need to pay more attention to this, geez.

This is what mine looks like underneath
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Bumper

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
At a local boat ramp, these guys were just walking through the parking lot in the middle of the day doing this to all the trucks. High up, easy to get under, in and out. Broad daylight.

·
Premium Member
Luft und Wasser
208 Posts
I had a shield installed on my Prius at a local Toyota dealer....I also have a low deductible but immediately thought the same thing - the worst part would be dealing with waiting forever to get through the massive backorder of new cats. I also started renting one of the private garages in my building, due to the stories I was reading about thieves vandalizing the **** out of cars they found to have shields installed. I cannot believe how lucky I got always parking on one of the main street overnight the last couple years without my car ever getting hit, and also with how long it stayed parked during the pandemic...in L.A. no less.

It would be interesting to somehow be able to tally up the total damage and financial devastation that's happened to people over this fvcked phenomenon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My business is installing LED lights and we take down the old metal fixtures and sell them to junk yards. I'm always amazed to see the amount of really really rough and typically drugged out guys selling these things to the yard. I see the yard pay about 70 bucks on average for one.

·
Registered
2 Turbo Wagons.
16,825 Posts
Still a thing? I had no idea it had decreased in popularity. I see this pretty much every day on Nextdoor.
So far, it's almost entirely Priii, but I can see the appeal of the Taco. And there are plenty of those around.

·
Registered
48,586 Posts
This story is similar but different.

One of my customers recently had her Prius stolen. Not the cat, but the whole car. Her insurance (Progressive) wouldn't cover it and never explained that she'd have to have comprehensive to cover theft, plus their comprehensive was expensive to boot. They found the car, and someone had been living in it. It had no cats, one of the headlights was missing, the interior was trashed, at least one window was broken out, the carpeting and headliner was heavily stained with motor oil, and it had about 2,000 additional miles on it. I may be missing a detail or two.

Since it's out-of-pocket she's trying to figure out what to do next. :(

Would losing a finger per cat stolen be a deterrent?
Eventually, yeah.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Im surprised owners would just leave their trucks at the dealer for months, rather than continue to drive them with a pass through pipe temporarily clamped in place where the cat was.

·
Registered
2 Turbo Wagons.
16,825 Posts
In some areas of the city, I swear every other car is driving around with no cat and open exhaust
We have a fella that lives on the street behind us who has been proudly redlining his latest gen Camry like this for more than a year, but I don't think cat theft had anything to do with his situation.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Yup, a friend just had her Prius’ cat replaced after it was stolen while she was at work. Part was backordered over a month and only available from OEM - on a 2010 Prius.
This obviously sucks, but I did giggle internally at the thought of a straight piped, catless prius.

You know what doesn't have cats? EVs
Clothing Smile Head Chin Mouth

·
Registered
23,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im surprised owners would just leave their trucks at the dealer for months, rather than continue to drive them with a pass through pipe temporarily clamped in place where the cat was.
I mean, you could, but only while your registration was valid because a catless vehicle isn't going to pass the safety/emissions inspection that's required to renew.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts