VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 109 Posts

· Registered
14,122 Posts
Definitely still a thing here in the Seattle area
Yep, although I've heard far less Honda Elements and Toyota Priuses running around without cats lately. It seems the thieves hit all of the easy cars and have had to diversify.

· Registered
90 VW Corrado, 96 BMW 318ti, 03 VW GTI 20th, 21 Jeep Gladiator, 21 Jeep Wrangler
7,976 Posts
When this started to become more common here in Portland I took a peak under the Jeeps to see how easy it would be to cut out the cat. I was pleasantly surprised that they are tucked way up there so even though you can easily get under the Jeep you can't really get to the cats.

On the news there is a shop that will spray paint the converter for free with high temp paint. I'm pretty sure that people will be able to find someone to buy those even if the legit scrap yards don't. Other shops are welding cages like seen previously or wrapping steel cable around them.

· Registered
2,787 Posts
Still a thing? Ya think? Folks who have interrupted cat thieves have been met with gun fire here. (seattle area)

Reactions: TangoRed and adrew

· Registered
4,806 Posts
A friend just bought a brand new Mitsu RVR suv. Within 5 days, someone hacked the cat out. Dealer took it back for repairs, 4-6 weeks, no loaners. Insurance gives money for rentals but with the market the way it is, she was out of rental allowance within 2 weeks. So now she's stuck with no vehicle, no rental and no way to get her new SUV back until parts arrive. And her job is a mobile massage therapist. Worse, she's got street parking only so it's only a matter of time before it goes again.

So yah it's way more brutal than just the expensive cost of the cat itself. :(

· Premium Member
27,488 Posts
I like the paint idea. I would write on it with the paint, though. Put the last six of my VIN on it.

Reactions: Aw614

· Registered
1,323 Posts
A friend just bought a brand new Mitsu RVR suv. Within 5 days, someone hacked the cat out.. :(
yeah... sounds about right. vultures just waiting to pounce

· Registered
27,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
There is stuff like this out there, but it is kind of pricey ($430) and looks like it could be annoying to deal with down the road with all the anti-tamper fasteners woven into the chassis bracing

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

· Registered
5,101 Posts
Does that aluminum foil also double as a skid plate or is it only to protect from exhaust tampering? I'd probably replace the anti-tamper hardware with regular allen or torx head fasteners of the same size/thread.

You mentioned lifting your Tacoma and I can say that it is mind numbingly easy to put a spacer lift on one of them but I would probably recommend finding a set of TRD/Pro Bilsteins to go on during the lift.

Looking at my driveway and I think I'm reasonably safe.

My Jeep has closely coupled cats that are tucked up high and bolt directly to the cylinder heads. There's not a lot of room to get in there with a grinder or sawzall to cut them out and they aren't really easy to identify like an old school cat after a header/downpipe. My downside is there is enough ground clearance for my rotund ass to fit under there so I'd say a family of toothless junkies could setup camp under there.

My wife's Audi is stock ride height but still plenty low enough to be a major pain in the ass to access, also the cat is located in the Vee of the engine so it's inaccessible without the hood popped.

· Registered
27,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
I saw the Talon ones - looks good but they only offer one for the V6.

The Miller one is just for cat tampering - it's got vertical flaps that go up and around - I guess it would kind of be a skid plate, but there's nothing expensive in those areas since it's just an old school cat near the frame rails.

There is some stuff like this that covers all the fragile pieces, but you have to get an add-on for the sides for the cats so it is like $1200 or something all together (plus none of the full skid packages work with the 4-cyl as it has different exhaust routing) and it weighs like 130 lbs.

So annoying
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Light

· Registered
5,025 Posts
Subbing to find out who the ignorant fool who makes this political will be. Cat thefts are everywhere and the supply chain can't keep up with the demand. Even if they catch these clowns the cats are gone and don't make it back to their owners. Stay vigilant folks and watch where you park.

· Registered
450 Posts
I saw the Talon ones - looks good but they only offer one for the V6.

The Miller one is just for cat tampering - it's got vertical flaps that go up and around - I guess it would kind of be a skid plate, but there's nothing expensive in those areas since it's just an old school cat near the frame rails.
I'm pretty sure the Tacoma/4runner one will work, the 4cyl cat sits on similar area and Talon's plate just covers it from side to side, this is one I also bought from Talon's on a 4runner, the subframe should be nearly identical.

Magnaflow makes a replacement for the tundra ,id get those $744.00 is way lesss
Those will trigger CEL, the 5.7L likes to run on the rich side (hence why they last so long, also why the cats are worth so much), the secondary O2 sensors are very sensitive, I've run 3 different types of aftermarket cats and all sorts of foulers after my long tube headers, always trigger CEL, until I just gave up and fab up custom mid-pipes with OEM cats, no CEL since.

· Registered
6,353 Posts
Those will trigger CEL, the 5.7L likes to run on the rich side (hence why they last so long, also why the cats are worth so much), the secondary O2 sensors are very sensitive, I've run 3 different types of aftermarket cats and all sorts of foulers after my long tube headers, always trigger CEL, until I just gave up and fab up custom mid-pipes with OEM cats, no CEL since.
Really, damn

21 - 40 of 109 Posts