VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Subbing to find out who the ignorant fool who makes this political will be. Cat thefts are everywhere and the supply chain can't keep up with the demand. Even if they catch these clowns the cats are gone and don't make it back to their owners. Stay vigilant folks and watch where you park.
I think you're it.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
In NYC its not only cat theft , break ins are nearly a sure thing at some point if you park on the street. Had my window broken on a street with lighting as bright as a football stadium.

No bail laws have made it a great gig for people that engage in this. If they get caught they are out within hours to do it again

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
No bail laws have made it a great gig for people that engage in this. If they get caught they are out within hours to do it again
What's most important is that the kids were never told "no" growing up. After all, it might have hurt their feelings.

·
Premium Member
20,214 Posts
Just curious, but what do you envision this would do? An unscrupulous scrapyard likely won't care much about it. Would you be counting on it being tracked back to you somehow, and then returned?
No. It would just make me feel better.

·
Registered
2013 Taco / 2006 R53
2,132 Posts
Get a cat plate, it's an issue in Canada as well, I have it on my truck, its from a placed called Talon's garage, I think mine was thicker than 1/4" (what's available now), it had taken direct impact from a fallen tree and rocks without an issue.

Finally, something that doesn't have cat security or whatever cut into it.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Until local authorities get real severe with the scrap yards that are taking them, almost to the point of bringing in RICO statutes, this problem won't go away.
As with many things in life you need to go after the profit. You are absolutely correct. It is kind of amazing to me that these guys are held to less of a standard than your average pawn shop.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Until local authorities get real severe with the scrap yards that are taking them, almost to the point of bringing in RICO statutes, this problem won't go away.
I wonder how hard it is to get them, I got the impression (at least locally in the Tampa area) that a lot of the catalytic converter buyers are traveling gypsies originally from Bosnia. They've been the big time buyers of catalytic converters for a long time on Facebook.

·
Registered
572 Posts
In NYC its not only cat theft , break ins are nearly a sure thing at some point if you park on the street. Had my window broken on a street with lighting as bright as a football stadium.

Anecdotal. Crime has gone down or stayed flat in many cities that have instituted no bail laws. Congrats on falling for propaganda and perpetuating it.

What's most important is that the kids were never told "no" growing up. After all, it might have hurt their feelings.
Completely anecdotal.

With rising crime many depts dont have time to look into non violent crimes as this, sad but true.

All i get is papers that say avoid vehicle theft "park in a well lighted area and lock all your doors" :D :D :D
Crime is not really rising. It is up relative to 2019, but still considerably lower than it was 20-30 years ago. All this while funding has absolutely skyrocketed. Cops simply do not solve crime.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Anecdotal. Crime has gone down or stayed flat in many cities that have instituted no bail laws. Congrats on falling for propaganda and perpetuating it.
Quoted from NY1 (left leaning channel)
The city saw fewer shootings last month than it did in June of last year, but overall crime jumped by 31% year-over-year, newly-released NYPD data shows.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Out of curiosity to the guy saying crime has not gone up, where do you live? I'm in Chicago and the cops are now asking us to carry guns and the thugs just hang around in the nice areas robbing with impunity.

I've seen 10 shootings in the Gold Coast in the past year and people are terrified. What has happened is crime reporting has decreased significantly in the African American areas as the cops don't patrol much anymore in those areas. I feel horrible for the people there but now the scum from all bad areas have just taken to going to the good areas as it's more profitable in those poor areas.

It's a total disaster and extremely underreported in the news.

And I'm a Democrat who wants equality and think our system is not too fair and needs to be changed. But the crime is so out of control that the shopping streets have hired armed guards, the merchandise is locked under key, the looting are frequent and none of my female friends walk alone anymore.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Completely anecdotal.
let me rephrase: we are realizing the results of an entire generation that grew up with never being told no and being given trophies for existing.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I live in southern Ohio and work in LE in a relatively small suburb. Catalytic converter theft has been on the rise here to levels I haven’t seen previously. Even at the height of the “mom and pop lab” supplied meth a little over a decade ago. There were 20 something calls on just first shift on Thursday. Mostly hitting used car lots and commercial fleet vehicles.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Any type of auto theft is high in my area. Even though I park my Tacoma in the garage every night, I think I will look into one of those shields posted earlier. I have known a couple of people that have had their cats stolen; both drive Toyotas.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts