61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
still a thing while money is the motivator

·
Registered
937 Posts
Out of curiosity to the guy saying crime has not gone up, where do you live? I'm in Chicago and the cops are now asking us to carry guns and the thugs just hang around in the nice areas robbing with impunity.

I've seen 10 shootings in the Gold Coast in the past year and people are terrified. What has happened is crime reporting has decreased significantly in the African American areas as the cops don't patrol much anymore in those areas. I feel horrible for the people there but now the scum from all bad areas have just taken to going to the good areas as it's more profitable in those poor areas.

It's a total disaster and extremely underreported in the news.

And I'm a Democrat who wants equality and think our system is not too fair and needs to be changed. But the crime is so out of control that the shopping streets have hired armed guards, the merchandise is locked under key, the looting are frequent and none of my female friends walk alone anymore.
With no cash bail and other reforms, police have stopped responding to petty crime. People see this, and stop reporting it, so the "official" petty crime rate doesn't change much when in reality it is skyrocketing.

CWBChicago covers crime on the north side of Chicago, which are primarily middle to high income areas. Pre-pandemic, most of the stories were about burglaries, pickpockets or drunken fights in Wrigleyville. Now most of the stories are about murder, rape, car jacking and other violent crimes. The vast majority of violent criminals were people who had been arrested for lessor offences, but released with minimal if any punishment.

CWBChicago

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Crime is not really rising. It is up relative to 2019, but still considerably lower than it was 20-30 years ago.Cops simply do not solve crime.
Oh baloney.
First, crime is up and it's relevant that it's up compared to 2019. Particularly crime involving property theft. But also murder, assaults and robberies. But maybe you live in some place that has escaped that trend. If you want to go back a couple decades you are going to have to look at what part of the country or which city you are talking about rather than just spout out your opinion.

And cops do solve crimes. You just don't want to look at many examples of when they do. Maybe you aren't aware of using DNA evidence to find the perps of sexual assault, murder, or on and on. Cops don't 'prevent' crime, but there isn't anyway anyone can stop rapists or robberies or assaults ahead of time.

·
Registered
769 Posts
It's a mess in Seattle Tacoma area. You'll get your car stolen, your house burglarized and your cat sawed off while your neighbors are telling you their car got stolen or jacked, their tools stolen outta their garage and their car is sounding like a NASCAR stocker.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Here is typical story from CWBChicago.

Two more armed robberies in Lakeview

In Chicago’s Town Hall (19th) Police District, robbery reports are at a five-year high. CPD’s latest internal stats report shows robberies in the district, which patrols Lakeview and much of Uptown, Lincoln Park, North Center, and Lincoln Square, are 63% higher than last year and 16% higher than 2018...............Robberies are just part of the problem Town Hall cops are dealing with this year. Overall crime in the district is up 71% compared to last year and 23% compared to 2018, according to CPD’s August 21 CompStat report. All seven of the major crime categories in the CompStat report are up over last year. Murders up 300%, sexual assault up 6%, robbery up 63%, aggravated battery up 38%, burglary up 35%, theft up 87%, and motor vehicle theft up 104%.

About the only thing that’s down in Town Hall is the number of cops assigned to work in the district. There are 287 officers this month, down from 311 last year and 366 in August 2020. Ten years ago, the area was patrolled by nearly 500 cops.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Here is typical story from CWBChicago.

Two more armed robberies in Lakeview

In Chicago’s Town Hall (19th) Police District, robbery reports are at a five-year high. CPD’s latest internal stats report shows robberies in the district, which patrols Lakeview and much of Uptown, Lincoln Park, North Center, and Lincoln Square, are 63% higher than last year and 16% higher than 2018...............Robberies are just part of the problem Town Hall cops are dealing with this year. Overall crime in the district is up 71% compared to last year and 23% compared to 2018, according to CPD’s August 21 CompStat report. All seven of the major crime categories in the CompStat report are up over last year. Murders up 300%, sexual assault up 6%, robbery up 63%, aggravated battery up 38%, burglary up 35%, theft up 87%, and motor vehicle theft up 104%.

About the only thing that’s down in Town Hall is the number of cops assigned to work in the district. There are 287 officers this month, down from 311 last year and 366 in August 2020. Ten years ago, the area was patrolled by nearly 500 cops.
Bingo.. These stats match stats across the country and experiences of normal citizens dealing with this crap

BTW.
Cops often solve crimes, it just takes time.
Perhaps the previous fellow stating they don't solve crimes has no idea about the use of forensic evidence in solving a crime. Or doesn't want to acknowledge how often these cases can turn on a small matter
Just one example. Kind of amazing that DNA off a shoelace nailed this guy

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Cops don't 'prevent' crime, but there isn't anyway anyone can stop rapists or robberies or assaults ahead of time.
Exactly right.

When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
It's a mess in Seattle Tacoma area. You'll get your car stolen, your house burglarized and your cat sawed off while your neighbors are telling you their car got stolen or jacked, their tools stolen outta their garage and their car is sounding like a NASCAR stocker.
And your elected officials respond with, "that's why you have insurance".

It's the current day "learn to code".

·
Registered
2,015 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
And your elected officials respond with, "that's why you have insurance".

It's the current day "learn to code".
I have heard the 'well, insurance will cover it so what's your problem?' so often it makes my head spin.
The folks here who own the 2000 dollar cars and get the cat stolen are looking at massive financial blows to their life tp replace a cat relative to their monthly bills.
Insurance? Full coverage on a cheap car? No they don't have that.
No one has full coverage on a 2000 dollar car.

·
Registered
23,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Normally I would drop full coverage on the Yaris at this stage in its life (it is 10 years old and was worth about $3k prior to the pandemic). But now it is worth about $6k so I am keeping it fully insured for the extra $100-200/year or whatever it is.

And, I mean, I had the windshield replaced in our old Corolla (used insurance as it was a $1200 job for the special OEM glass with the screen-printed window for the camera + re-calibrating the camera). It was my understanding that glass claims didn't affect rates, but I got a steep rate increase at my next renewal (canceled them) and it has come up a few times over the years when I got quotes from other companies. Like they would quote a rate of $650/6 months for both cars and then do the "final verification" or whatever and were like "Oops, we're sorry, we found a claim on your record and your new rate is $869/6 months."

My old insurance company was only out like $700 for the repair but I was hit with $400+/year surcharges (no other claims, accidents or tickets) for having the windshield replaced, so yes, I would like to keep from using insurance if at all possible.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Normally I would drop full coverage on the Yaris at this stage in its life (it is 10 years old and was worth about $3k prior to the pandemic). But now it is worth about $6k so I am keeping it fully insured for the extra $100-200/year or whatever it is.
A few years ago some idiot totalled my then-18 year old daughter's wonderful Matrix. It wasn't much, but it was hers. Ran perfectly even at 250K miles, as do all decently cared for Corollas. It wasn't her fault, but the numbnuts's insurance company wanted to play games with me on responsibility. (The cops weren't taking reports or issuing tickets that night, although they're on bodycam telling the guy "I would ticket you for this if I could.")

I spent a decent amount of time doing the footwork, looking for any and all witnesses and any video that may have existed. I finally worked through the city bus system; this guy had passed the city bus on the inside, pulled in front of the bus on the wet pavement on his bald tires, and spun out into my daughter, and the bus video captured it all from back to front. Once I had that, the other insurance company caved. But until then, they were just going to sit there.

I realized then what comprehensive/collision insurance was actually for: think of it as prepaid legal services. For that extra buck and a half or whatever a year, you can dump all of this onto your insurance company and you're out of it. They pay off, they do the legwork, and if they collect they also pay off your deductible.

And the simple fact is, they're MUCH better at dealing with the other guy's insurance company than you and I will ever be. It's like buying a car: you buy one once every 5 years, they sell one 20 times a day. Who do you think is better at the process.

So yeah, I have collision and comprehensive insurance even on my cheapest car. It's not expensive, frankly, especially given how things are on the roads out there nowadays. The odds are much higher today than ever that the idiot who runs into you is uninsured.

·
Registered
259 Posts
A few years ago some idiot totalled my then-18 year old daughter's wonderful Matrix. It wasn't much, but it was hers. Ran perfectly even at 250K miles, as do all decently cared for Corollas. It wasn't her fault, but the numbnuts's insurance company wanted to play games with me on responsibility. (The cops weren't taking reports or issuing tickets that night, although they're on bodycam telling the guy "I would ticket you for this if I could.")

I spent a decent amount of time doing the footwork, looking for any and all witnesses and any video that may have existed. I finally worked through the city bus system; this guy had passed the city bus on the inside, pulled in front of the bus on the wet pavement on his bald tires, and spun out into my daughter, and the bus video captured it all from back to front. Once I had that, the other insurance company caved. But until then, they were just going to sit there.

I realized then what comprehensive/collision insurance was actually for: think of it as prepaid legal services. For that extra buck and a half or whatever a year, you can dump all of this onto your insurance company and you're out of it. They pay off, they do the legwork, and if they collect they also pay off your deductible.

And the simple fact is, they're MUCH better at dealing with the other guy's insurance company than you and I will ever be. It's like buying a car: you buy one once every 5 years, they sell one 20 times a day. Who do you think is better at the process.

So yeah, I have collision and comprehensive insurance even on my cheapest car. It's not expensive, frankly, especially given how things are on the roads out there nowadays. The odds are much higher today than ever that the idiot who runs into you is uninsured.
good to know. I'll be sure to let my neighbors in on that approach since (ahem) some don't even HAVE insurance. per your example.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sure, crime has been rising over the past couple of years, but historically, we are at almost all time lows in all crime statistics

heres an actual source: https://crime-data-explorer.fr.cloud.gov/pages/explorer/crime/crime-trend

very easy to navigate and you can see the trend from the mid 80s to now.
ok and thank you. I'll have to wade thru that when I get a chance.

An historical footnote since you are going back in years:

One crime that wasn't happen previously (pertaining to this thread).... no one or very few crimes of sawing off cats.

Which then put the owner out thousand or two dollars per saw off example

61 - 80 of 103 Posts