VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

I guess catalytic converter thefts are still a thing (CSB heard at the Toyota dealership)

7K views 108 replies 57 participants last post by  Surf Green 
#1 ·
I took my truck in for its last free oil change today and when I went back to pick it up, the service advisor was on the phone with an insurance rep for someone who'd had their Tundra dropped off to have the stolen catalytic converters replaced. The rep, clearly not happy after learning the price of OEM replacements, was trying to get the service advisor to track down aftermarket or used cats (lol) and the service advisor wasn't having it.

He told the rep "I mean, we'll do it, but it will void the warranty, the check engine light will stay on and then you'll just have to pay again to have it fixed right, your choice." They chatted a bit more, then it sounded like the rep asked about ETAs for the new parts. He took a deep breath and said, "Oh man, we have no idea, they are on back order and I have about 75 other ones in our back lot right now waiting on one."

Sure enough, when I left, there were a few rows of trucks, mostly Tundras, all lined up in the back like they were in the Dieselgate storage lot - about as many of them as the new and used cars on their lot for sale.

I set my comp deductible to $100 after I bought this thing and saw how vulnerable the cat is (so I wouldn't worry about it) but having no parts available is something I hadn't considered. I don't feel like spending $400+ on a cat shield, but I guess I need to pay more attention to this, geez.

This is what mine looks like underneath
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Bumper

See less See more
#101 ·
These folks are looking to replace precious metals with cheap copper or something.

In a laboratory on the U of M campus, researchers are using complex equipment to find a solution to a complex problem.

In a sense, they're trying to make catalytic converters less attractive to thieves.

"There's platinum, rhodium, palatium, all precious metals that do different chemistries that help clean up the exhaust from a car," said Paul Dauenhauer, University of Minnesota researcher.

Professor Dauenhauer and his 15-person crew want to replace those targeted metals with something much cheaper but just as efficient, like copper. The secret is in something that looks like computer chips.

"We can make the surface, which is a low-cost metal like copper, behave like a precious metal," said Dauenhauer.

Results over the past few years have been so positive that last month the U.S. Department of Energy gave them a $10.6 million grant to continue their work.

The researchers said the recycled copper replacement is also more friendly to the environment.

"I would say this is a new class of catalyst that's never been looked at before," said On.

Which is why they're now calling them "catalytic condensers."And as the technology advances, Dauenhauer believes it can be used for much more than just catalytic converters.

"We also use them in the production in renewable hydrogen from solar and wind. Or to make fertilizers like ammonia that people use in agriculture. These are all made with precious metals. Our goal is to replace all of those," said Dauenhauer.

#104 ·
#105 ·
#109 ·
The difference with copper (if that ever becomes more than vaporware) is the converter would only fetch them $25 instead of several hundred.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.