VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call today saying my R was in, so we went to the dealer tonight. After waiting forever for my sales guy to come out of some meeting (not with customers), they gave me a lowball price on my trade in, but I was expecting that... What was really disturbing was how rude the guy was about it (not my sales guy)...
Then I asked about financing and they told me a rate of 7.5%. I told them I could do better at my bank, so they ran the numbers again and came back with 6.9%. Ummm... Why didn't they give me the better rate the first time? Needless to say they kept pushing, pushing, pushing to close that evening... And we had to wait forever over and over again - for the littlest things...
Finally I just asked for a bill of sale I could take to the bank. We waited, and waited and waited... There had been so much waiting I finally just wrote my fax number on my business card, told the rude guy to tell my sales guy to fax it to me, and we walked out...
When we got home the fax was waiting - and guess what... A $250 "Tire and wheel charge"
a $157 charge for window etching we didn't ask for, and $250 for the "NJ Supplemental Titling Fee". I think that last one is actually illegal to put on the bill. It's only supposed to be charged when the car is over $45K or has a average fuel economy rating under 19 (it's 20.5 for the R32). We're not even titling it in NJ...

Why do idiot dealers have to take the fun out of what should be a really exciting moment?
It doesn't have to be this way... When we bought our Mini Cooper S a couple years ago the experience was flawless. The guy was attentive, never tried to overcharge us, had a good financing rate (from our own bank nonetheless)... I kept expecting him to do something wrong, but he never did... And the service when we went back for repairs was flawless too...
The point is VW dealers rarely seem to understand that their competition is offering a very different experience for the customer. Our dealer is trying to do BMW-style service by offering free oil changes, car washes, loaner cars, pick you up / drop you off, and free tires for life (if you always go there for service). But then they play games on the sale itself and it just comes off as a cheap imitation of BMW/Mini.
There used to be a service manager at this dealership who was incredible - but he left a couple months ago. If he were still there I'd suck it up and do what I had to do to get the sale completed knowing there's be years of good service after the sale. Now I'm trying to figure out what my options are...
It wasn't supposed to go like this... UGH!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Re: I hate car dealers... (NYVDub)

I'm sorry to hear that, a big http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif to the dealer.
Not to thread jack, but I'm curious (seeing as your info says your from NYC) if you' have ever dealt with any VW dealers in the city. I'm going through BaysideVW and I'm a bit skeptical on them. Thanks.
Hope your dealer problems work out http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
137 Posts

It's amazing how they add all these additional charges the dealers in Australia have a stock standard Dealer Delivery fee of $1990-00, which is usually non neg. For what washing the car and checking the oil.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: I hate car dealers... ([email protected])

Brendan... Just wanted to say, I haven't met you, but based on your participation in this forum, you seem like you'd be an excellent dealer... And obviously I wish my old Mini dealer sold VWs - I'd buy from him in a heartbeat...
But I've had so many unpleasant experiences with VW dealers over the years it's really frustrating... Love the car, hate the dealers (I've encountered so far)...

·
Registered
4,735 Posts

I wouldn't buy the R from them - I'm waiting for the initial frenzy to die down and revisit the R when the dust settles and dealers have a few sitting on the lot.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: I hate car dealers... (badb5)

Quote, originally posted by badb5 »
I wouldn't buy the R from them - I'm waiting for the initial frenzy to die down and revisit the R when the dust settles and dealers have a few sitting on the lot.

Yep, me too. My guy let me walk after a horrible customer experience (no call-backs, e-mails on the status of the car, etc).
-Mike.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Re: I hate car dealers... (mpaone)

When I put my deposit down, I made them write up the final price including tax, tags, etc. I may add Lojack, and extended warranty but that will be me doing this, not them changing the final $$. Although this was also a top rated VW dealer.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: I hate car dealers... (WakeHead)

Quote, originally posted by WakeHead »
When I put my deposit down, I made them write up the final price including tax, tags, etc. I may add Lojack, and extended warranty but that will be me doing this, not them changing the final $$. Although this was also a top rated VW dealer.

I should've done this to begin with to prevent getting all excited about a car I'm not buying now.

-Mike.

·
Registered
587 Posts
There are plenty of options but you need to be patient. There will be plenty of R32s to choose from and then there is the BMW 135i. July auto sales results will be out today and will show that the market is weak. It is a buyer's market, but not if you have to have the frist R32 on the street. You dealer knows this and was exploiting your excitement.
You feel violated but the way to recover from this is to be patient and firm. Don't settle for a deal that is not fair in the current sales climate.
The quality of the dealer is an issue for a car in this price range. This is one reason why a BMW 135i, which is on the low, low end [like the Mini is too] for a BMW dealer's customer, is attractive. This is because you have a good chance of being treated the way an M6 customer would be.

·
Registered
20,210 Posts

So your sales guy(the one you initially made the deal with) wasn't the problem right it was some other random guy there? Give your sales guy another chance, refuse to deal with anyone else but him...if they don't comply, get to another dealer, deal out of state if you have to...(beyond the tri state area)

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Re: I hate car dealers... (powersafterhours)

Quote, originally posted by powersafterhours »
I'm sorry to hear that, a big http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif to the dealer.
Not to thread jack, but I'm curious (seeing as your info says your from NYC) if you' have ever dealt with any VW dealers in the city. I'm going through BaysideVW and I'm a bit skeptical on them. Thanks.

Bayside is cool. I deal with Lester Glick in sales.

·
Banned
6,820 Posts

Quote, originally posted by NYVDub »
Brendan... Just wanted to say, I haven't met you, but based on your participation in this forum, you seem like you'd be an excellent dealer... And obviously I wish my old Mini dealer sold VWs - I'd buy from him in a heartbeat...
But I've had so many unpleasant experiences with VW dealers over the years it's really frustrating... Love the car, hate the dealers (I've encountered so far)...

I'm not the typical car salesmen.
It sucks though as 95% of customers will buy anywhere as long as it is cheaper, which only gives more power to shady dealers. I sell on service and price, but I get pissed when a soccer mom goes and buys a Touareg from another dealer over $100, without even asking me if I can match a quote. Oh well...

·
Banned
'21 Kona EV, '21 Bolt
3,949 Posts
Re: I hate car dealers... (powersafterhours)

Quote, originally posted by powersafterhours »
Hope your dealer problems work out http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I got my GTI from Bayside. They move ALOT of cars and have a good reputation (most in NY from what I understand). I know with me they didn't play any games or try to sneak in any charges. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another VW from them. Of course when buying any car you always need to be careful, there could always be a change in management/ownership or a specific "bad" salesperson.
I had some issues with their service department, but that's a seperate issue.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote, originally posted by anginpa »
I was in Engelwood NJ today - They had 2 CW and 1 UG prepped and ready to go.....is one yours?

I'd rather not identify the dealer. If things get any worse, I will...
Quote, originally posted by dr. pimento »
Bayside is cool. I deal with Lester Glick in sales.

Friends of ours had a really bad experience at Bayside - so avoiding them too...
If we go anywhere else it will probably be Meyer in Larchmont. 7 years ago when we were shopping for our current GTI VR6 they introduced us to the car and sold us on it. Problem was we wanted silver and they couldn't get silver, so we went with another dealer. When we told them about it they asked for the VIN number and looked up the car and found that the other dealer had used a fake customer order to get it. And as you'd expect with a sleazy dealer, we had problems. Their tech put the roof rack on before taking the plastic off and then cut around them with an exacto knife to get the plastic off and cut into the paint. They delivered the car with the roof rack on and when we discovered the problem they said we did it. We won in the end, but it wasn't a pleasant experience. So I feel like I owe Meyer a sale (sorta)... They were the ethical dealer (back then) who lost out on a sale for being ethical.

Quote, originally posted by gizmopop »
So your sales guy(the one you initially made the deal with) wasn't the problem right it was some other random guy there? Give your sales guy another chance, refuse to deal with anyone else but him...if they don't comply, get to another dealer, deal out of state if you have to...(beyond the tri state area)

That's pretty much exactly the issue. So far the worst I can say about the sales guy is that he doesn't try hard enough to make up for the deficiencies of his coworkers and managers. If it stays that way, it's forgivable.
Having slept on it and thought about it for a day I'm going to tell him to take off the three charges that shouldn't be there. If he challenges me on it then he's crossed the line. It's one thing to not apologize for your management, it's another thing to defend them...
I've looked up the statute on NJ's supplemental titling fee and the dealer is completely in the wrong. The car's not over $45K, and it doesn't have an average fuel economy of less than 19 mpg - so the fee can't be applied. And even if it could, the charge is 0.4 percent of the price before taxes. The $250 they charged would be appropriate for a car with a MSRP of $62K. So they're definitely playing games.
THOSE OF YOU IN NJ - YOU SHOULD NOT SEE A SUPPLEMENTARY TITLING FEE ON YOUR INVOICE...
Bottom line the dealer could probably get in pretty hot water with the Dept of Taxation for collecting a tax that shouldn't be collected (I'm guessing they're not paying the tax to the state either). So I've basically caught them in the act and have the upper hand at the moment.
But the bottom line is whether it's good to get a car that starts off with such bad karma.
I'm tired and cranky, so I'll deal with the dealer tomorrow...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.