VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's an update on my situation, where my volvo was demolished by a truck. here's the referring post:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=902076
On monday, the insurance company called me to find out what was to be done about my car. First thing i said is that I need a rental car. No problem, they have direct billing with enterprise and all I needed to do is go pick a car up. So I go to my local enterprise and pick up a 2002 Monte Carlo (detailed review comes later). Unfortunately I still have to pay $10 for extra insurance, and the insurance company dosent cover that. Annoying but I'd be a fool not to get the extra insurance, considering my luck lately.
So then on tuesday, an adjuster calls me to set up an appointment. We made the appointment for friday morning, 8:30-9:00 am. Friday rolls around, and nobody shows up (the car is where I work, so I'm able to wait there all day). I wait until about 1:00 when I'm about to call the head office, when he calls me on my cell phone. He says he's running late (no duh), that someone had called out sick and his work-load doubled, and that he'd be there at 3:15. Ok, fine. Then he said that if he didnt make it he'd be there monday. I told him I'd prefer him to come today, since I'm usually off work monday and wont be there. He said he'd more than likely make it at 3:15, but would call me if he couldnt. Well guess what, nobody showed up and nobody called. Now I'm going to switch my day off so I can be there monday, and hope he shows up. The only # I have is his office, which wont help if he's not there. I dont even think this guy has a cell phone, because when he did call me it was a local NY # (his office is in NJ) and wouldnt allow a call back. So he must've been using a pay-phone.
It's been well over a week since this happened, and nobody has even looked at my car yet! I was hoping to have this all done so I could have my new car by 4th of July weekend, but I guess that's out of the question.
Oh and I did find a beautiful replacement car. A '93 940 turbo wagon, in impeccable condition, fully loaded, absolutely beautiful for $3k
!
I saw a listing for a '96 960 that was too expensive, but it was at a Volvo speciallist place so I decided to call them up to see what they have. They had just gotten the car in on a trade-in, and didnt even have time to clean it up, list it..etc... I took a look at it and fell in love. I literally was looking for something wrong with the car and couldnt find it. They usually dont deal with cars that old and was going to send it to the auction, but then I came along. All he wants is what he paid for it. Which was $3k. Talk about right place at the right time! So I left a $500 deposit on it, and now I'm REALLY itching to get my money. I'm not sure how long they're going to hold it for me. I will be VERY angry if I lose this car, because I will NOT find another one this nice. Not for that price.
And what makes me more aggrivated is that all this BS is just to have them look at the thing. The next fun experience is dealing with their low-ball first offer. Man I just want this to be over with.
Oh and here's a post I found from when I first bought my 740..

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=603174

Modified by anarchyx34 at 9:59 AM 6-29-2003

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Re: I hate insurance companies. (anarchyx34)

You're lucky the other driver has insurance.
A reasonable offer for a total loss settlement would be the replacement cost of the car on the used car market, plus any tax and pro-rated license expense that you would incur when buying a replacement car of that cost.
But note that the used car market values cosmetic condition and odometer mileage heavily, so if the undamaged parts of the car look brand new, and the odometer mileage is low, you may get a high valuation, even if you know that the engine and transmission need major repair work soon. Conversely, primer gray panels, doors with lots of dings, worn upholstery, and high odometer mileage will severely devalue the car for insurance purposes, even if the engine and transmission are in perfect condition.
When you see the offer, ask for documentation on how it was made (e.g. how the car's condition was valued, how the pricing on the local used car market was determined, etc.).

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Well I do have some ad's printed out showing cars identical to mine (actually 1990's one year older) going for $4500-5000. I even had the car appraised at work by one of the sales people (I work at a dealership) and he also said $4500.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yeah but what if they dont even give me enough to replace the car? What's my next course of action? I remember many years ago when i totalled my mustang. They actually gave me more than I bought the car for.

·
Banned
7,292 Posts

Quote, originally posted by anarchyx34 »
Oh and I did find a beautiful replacement car. A '93 940 turbo wagon, in impeccable condition, fully loaded, absolutely beautiful for $3k
!

Volvo 9 series.... RWD. Good choice. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I hope your insurance coughs up the money sooner than later. Free bump.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Now I'm really pissed. The guy stood me up again today. I called him at 8:00 am, and asked him what happened on Friday. Without apologizing, he said he'd be there at 1PM today. Well guess what, he never showed up or called. It turns out the # I had for him was indeed his cell #, which it appears he turned off. So I called the head office and complained. THey had trouble getting in touch with him all day and she'd try and assign a different adjuster after she speaks to this moron first. This is just getting more and more rediculous.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts