VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I've come to the conclusion that these NA lights SUCK! Its bad enough driving in the dark, but with the rain its becoming rediculus. I know the best solution would be goinh with the Hella duals, but its not in the budget (at the moment) So any suggestions on bulbs? I figure that might be somewhat better?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Re: I hate my headlights (RAD GTI)

I know others may disagree, but the crappy lens and reflector on the DOT lights aren't going to be any better with a brighter bulb. Don't go with higher watts unless you run relays. How about a set of aftermarket driving or fog lights? I have a set of Hella 550 Fogs on my bunny that work pretty well and cost $35 BRAND NEW on Ebay. They are sort of big, and may take some ingenuity to mount them, but they should help. These may be the lights our fearless leader Bill has on his B4. I have all E-Code lighting on my Passat and my Rabbit. That should be your goal, but I understand the lack of funds...Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Re: I hate my headlights (cheiden)

I'd say if you're on a budget get some Hella 500s. You can probalby get them on eBay, but they're pretty cheap new anyway. Just mount them hanging off yoru bumper in front of the air dam. You could do it without drilling into the car at all if you just use the mounting screws for the bumper cover and run a flat metal bar between them. Shouldn't be too hard.

·
Super Moderator
11,645 Posts
Re: I hate my headlights (jmj)

Don't tell jebglx that. He's got a set. I went with the Micro FF's from Hella, and they throw hella light. Very tight driving beam.

·
I could've been a contender.
41,106 Posts
Re: I hate my headlights (DanG)

quote:[HR][/HR]Aren't those kind of large for a Passat?][HR][/HR]​
you tell me
before:

after:

these are hella 550s. cost $50 from pep boys. were on my old 90 cab but moved them over when my stock fogs rusted & cracked. love them
bill

[Modified by jebglx, 11:26 PM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
501 Posts
Re: I hate my headlights (RAD GTI)

the brighter bulbs didnt make a huge difference for me, but i bought them and well there is no point in taking them out
and if you think your suck in the rain .... try it out here in good old raincouver

·
Registered
235 Posts
Re: I hate my headlights (jebglx)

Bill:
Where/How did you mount your lights? Of course I can see where, but I hope you know what I mean. I may try to put some on our B3.

·
I could've been a contender.
41,106 Posts
Re: I hate my headlights (cheiden)

hehehe, its been awhle since i've had a b3 but here goes (bear w/ me)...
the fogs on the b4 are mounted further in than the b3. if you pop the fogs out of the b4, you will see a metal plate running under the fog position. i assume that it runs the length of the bumper. however, right where the fogs are, there is a square opening. i drilled up from the bottom of the bumper right thru that opening. the mounting screws that came w/ the hellas were too short. had to go to home depot & get longer ones. unfortunately, the new screws had a rounded end while the hella ones were flat. the only difference was that the fogs don't *quite* look straight. they are just a bit tilted. from a distance, you can't tell but it bugs the poop outta me
!
never had a problem w/ the fogs on my b3 (in fact, never had to change the bulbs in the 4 years i owned her) so i don't know if that metal plate is there
bill

·
Super Moderator
11,645 Posts
Re: I hate my headlights (jebglx)

Yeah jebglx, I was gonna ask about your crooked lights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts