VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, it all started with my AC. It wasnt cooling like it used to. I thought it might need more freeon.. So I take it to the mechanic and he checks and sees there is free on. He then tells me that the compressor is messed up and a bunch of other AC related components. I ask why and he tells me because faulty debree travels through the entire system and ruins components.
Sounds resonable so I give em the go. He changes everything, total... over 1 grand. Ok its alot. He put in new compressor, new condensor i believe etc. Well about 2 days later I'm driving and I start to hear this wierd noise, squeeky noise. I get out and smell alittle bit burned. Smells like brakes or clutch or something. But its faint so I think its nothing. Well it never does go away. The sound also grew alot stronger when i turned on the AC. Sometimes though, sometimes it doesnt sound at all.
Well I took it back to the mechanic again and they "diagnosed" the car and said it was a faulty alternator. It was worn out. So it was making the burning noise. Ok, sounds rational so I ask him the estamate. He tells me $800 for rebuilt alternator including labor. Too much after a AC job so I go on the TeX and ask you guys where to get parts. You guys tell me http://www.germanautoparts.com
I go there and great prices btw thanx guys!

Ok, so the alternator arrives and we give it to the mechanic. He changes it today and the car is ready. I drive it back home and when I hold in the clutch while slowing down the dash viabrates.. Hmm..... wierd... So I go on and suddenly start noticing the faint sound again!! no!!!!! and the smell to go with it. WTF isn't it supposed to be fixed? Now I owe my dad money and the car is still in the same state. I dont feel safe driving it. I checked the drive belt and I looked closely at one of the pulleys. The one under the alternator pulley. Yes the Compressor Pulley and its spinning but in a slightly odd fashion. UhhAH! I think i found the problem but I'm not sure. Is it that. The belt? The pulley? the NEW compressor? Its making noise cuz its hitting the sides, and its making the smell because its wasting away..
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!! =(
I have no more money =(

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Re: I Hate my Mechanic =( (BuZnEE)

All i can say is $800 for an alternator? SHould n't be more than $200 for a rebuilt alternator, $250 new and an hour labor...so like $300 installed, MAX.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]anyone with a vr6 and experience? what could it be? advice?[HR][/HR]​
Who said i didn't have experience? And does my not owning a VR6 have anything to do with it? I know damn well how to change an alternator, and that includes VR6's.
My above post was perfectly correct, sorry my credentials didn't meet your standards.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Re: I Hate my Mechanic =( (Firestarter)

quote:[HR][/HR]My above post was perfectly correct, sorry my credentials didn't meet your standards.
[HR][/HR]​
i also wondered why he ignored you... i mean you had the decency to help him out and he blows you off. not cool

·
Registered
782 Posts

Being a mechanic myself I am very skeptical of other mechanics. Many will take you for a ride. I seems like in your situation it is gonna be a trial and error situation to find an good and honest shop. The most valuable skill in a mechanic is troubleshooting. It seems as though your mechanic may not have this skill.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: I Hate my Mechanic =( (Project20v)

dudes! im sorry, I didn't mean to do that. Firestarter thanx for posting, and im sorry for being rude like that. Sometimes I just post something like ttt.. if someone can give more info.
Thanx though guys, I'm just really frustrated, =(

[Modified by BuZnEE, 4:32 PM 4-7-2002]

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]dudes! im sorry, I didn't mean to do that. Firestarter thanx for posting, and im sorry for being rude like that. Sometimes I just post something like ttt.. if someone can give more info.
Thanx though guys, I'm just really frustrated, =(

[Modified by BuZnEE, 4:32 PM 4-7-2002][HR][/HR]​
Eh...it's alright. I was getting a little pissy myself. It's all good...

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: I Hate my Mechanic =( (Firestarter)

thanx dude
well, here in miami I started hanging out with 97VenomGTI and the rest of the guys in Autobahn Touring. I'm gonna ask em about recommending me to mechanic. That is, until I buy my tools so I can work on it myself damnit! hehe

·
Registered
4,218 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]thanx dude
well, here in miami I started hanging out with 97VenomGTI and the rest of the guys in Autobahn Touring. I'm gonna ask em about recommending me to mechanic. That is, until I buy my tools so I can work on it myself damnit! hehe[HR][/HR]​
The only totally truthful mechanic, yourself

·
Registered
14,611 Posts
Re: I Hate my Mechanic =( (gin8122)

how is the pulley hitting the sides? Is it crocked, is the motor leaning on one side? Could be a broken motor mount? I dunno man, you think you can maybe snap some pics or sumtin?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Re: I Hate my Mechanic =( (BiH)

if your pulley is woobeling or something to that effect and not staying perfectly straight that is very bad. If I were you I would go back to this guys shop and tell him to give you the proper refund and you do it by getting estimates on the work from VW dealer or else you will write to Better Business Burea and (all shops fear this) DMV. They can take away his liscense and they are very hard on shops that pull this bs.
Sorry for any mispellings too early for me

[Modified by VR6 VeNtO OnE 39, 7:09 PM 4-7-2002]

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
My Recommendation...

quote:[HR][/HR]thanx dude
well, here in miami I started hanging out with 97VenomGTI and the rest of the guys in Autobahn Touring. I'm gonna ask em about recommending me to mechanic. That is, until I buy my tools so I can work on it myself damnit! hehe[HR][/HR]​
Danny (BuZnEE_):
I am so sorry to hear the mess you are going thru. Here is my recommendation:
Leira's Service Station
2101 SW 67th Avenue
West Miami
Ask for David 305-261-0173 - tell him that Danny from Autobahn Xclusive sent you. Over 30yrs of wrenching German cars and Volkswagens of course! He also dabbles in track events quite a bit and does race car prepping on weekends. The man does excellent work and good customer service, tell him I sent you and I am sure he will take care of your situtation.
Give me a call on Monday if you have any questions, you know the #.
Talk to you soon.
Regards,
Daniel Diaz
Autobahn Xclusive, Inc.
"European Automotive Enhancements"
Orders/Info: 1-866-480-2444
Office: 305-341-0627
Fax: 305-341-0628
Web: http://www.AutobahnX.com
p.s.
That 97VenomGTI is quite a character

[Modified by [email protected], 2:51 PM 4-7-2002]

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Re: My Recommendation... ([email protected])

i had a similar situation but on a different car with different components. about a year ago my 93 sentra started acting up, so i took it to the mechanic, some yadda yadda about the fuel rail, so they have it for a few days, i get it back, it runs great!.....for about 4 days, then it really starts acting up, incredibly slow acceleration etc. so i take it back, something about the injectors and alternator, they have it for a few days, i get it back. about a week later same deals, slow acceleration, can't pass any other cars, then it starts stalling, often(it was an automatic! 120K miles) so i relent and take it to the dealership, turns out the other mechanics put in the wrong injectors, they weren't even for a nissan car! man i was heated

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: My Recommendation... (timmybgood)

Yea well dude, i guess we are in the same boat lol

Thanx danny, I think i got everything all handled though. The mechanic apologized for everything and hes fixing my car. It already ready and I'm picking it up tommorow. I'll tell you on how it went. The part that was actually defective was the "new" compressor that they installed. So hopefully, no more problems for at least 6 months! (fingers crossed) So i can start saving up for the cupkit

[Modified by BuZnEE, 2:57 AM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: My Recommendation... (VR6 Mk3)

The car drives great! The only thing is the check engine light is still on, I guess I'll get it checked by you guys in tropical park tommorow

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.