VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, it all started with my AC. It wasnt cooling like it used to. I thought it might need more freeon.. So I take it to the mechanic and he checks and sees there is free on. He then tells me that the compressor is messed up and a bunch of other AC related components. I ask why and he tells me because faulty debree travels through the entire system and ruins components.
Sounds resonable so I give em the go. He changes everything, total... over 1 grand. Ok its alot. He put in new compressor, new condensor i believe etc. Well about 2 days later I'm driving and I start to hear this wierd noise, squeeky noise. I get out and smell alittle bit burned. Smells like brakes or clutch or something. But its faint so I think its nothing. Well it never does go away. The sound also grew alot stronger when i turned on the AC. Sometimes though, sometimes it doesnt sound at all.
Well I took it back to the mechanic again and they "diagnosed" the car and said it was a faulty alternator. It was worn out. So it was making the burning noise. Ok, sounds rational so I ask him the estamate. He tells me $800 for rebuilt alternator including labor. Too much after a AC job so I go on the TeX and ask you guys where to get parts. You guys tell me http://www.germanautoparts.com
I go there and great prices btw thanx guys!

Ok, so the alternator arrives and we give it to the mechanic. He changes it today and the car is ready. I drive it back home and when I hold in the clutch while slowing down the dash viabrates.. Hmm..... wierd... So I go on and suddenly start noticing the faint sound again!! no!!!!! and the smell to go with it. WTF isn't it supposed to be fixed? Now I owe my dad money and the car is still in the same state. I dont feel safe driving it. I checked the drive belt and I looked closely at one of the pulleys. The one under the alternator pulley. Yes the Compressor Pulley and its spinning but in a slightly odd fashion. UhhAH! I think i found the problem but I'm not sure. Is it that. The belt? The pulley? the NEW compressor? Its making noise cuz its hitting the sides, and its making the smell because its wasting away..
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!! =(
I have no more money =(

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: I Hate my Mechanic =( (Project20v)

dudes! im sorry, I didn't mean to do that. Firestarter thanx for posting, and im sorry for being rude like that. Sometimes I just post something like ttt.. if someone can give more info.
Thanx though guys, I'm just really frustrated, =(

[Modified by BuZnEE, 4:32 PM 4-7-2002]

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: I Hate my Mechanic =( (Firestarter)

thanx dude
well, here in miami I started hanging out with 97VenomGTI and the rest of the guys in Autobahn Touring. I'm gonna ask em about recommending me to mechanic. That is, until I buy my tools so I can work on it myself damnit! hehe

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: My Recommendation... (timmybgood)

Yea well dude, i guess we are in the same boat lol

Thanx danny, I think i got everything all handled though. The mechanic apologized for everything and hes fixing my car. It already ready and I'm picking it up tommorow. I'll tell you on how it went. The part that was actually defective was the "new" compressor that they installed. So hopefully, no more problems for at least 6 months! (fingers crossed) So i can start saving up for the cupkit

[Modified by BuZnEE, 2:57 AM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: My Recommendation... (VR6 Mk3)

The car drives great! The only thing is the check engine light is still on, I guess I'll get it checked by you guys in tropical park tommorow

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.