VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm doing my usual 200 miles monday morning trek, and I find a nice black Toyota PreRunner (PickUp) to follow in traffic. It kind of reminded me of that scene at the end of Back to the Future where Marty McFly gets his black 4x4. I've always liked black Toyota 4x4s since that movie http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Well anyway, I'm cruising along reminiscing about the 80's and following a comfortable 3-4 lengths behind this truck, when a turquoiise-green colored late 90's Pontiac Grand Am gets in front of me. She kind of just swerved into my lane (no signal) and I'm not sure if she realized she changed lanes, but anyway, there I am, now helpless, trapped, forced to look at that car. It was hideous...
It was dirty, there were faded bumper stickers, the tailpipe looked rusted.. I mean, this car was just really bugging me -- I couldn't stand looking at it any more!!! Everything about this poor car just rubbed me the wrong way, and irritated the hell out of me.. So I casually merged to the next lane and sought to get behind the Toyota again. Luck was on my side, as the driver of the Pontiac wasn't paying attention and left a good 15 car lengths between her and the truck. I merged back (despite it probably being a slower lane) and went back to my pleasureable daydreams.. Everything, was OK.

So the poll question is..
Do you find yourself following certain cars on the highway simply because they are attractive, or in some way, relaxing to follow?

·
Registered
12,781 Posts
Re: I hate ugly cars! (PsyberVW)

I avoid these like the plague. Don't know why, maybe because every one of them that I get behind is going 5 under the limit and burning more oil that gas. God they are hideous.

·
Banned
13,344 Posts
Re: I hate ugly cars! (vw86gti)

I tend to stay away from big vehicles (I drive a Miata, so a Passat or Outback is a big vehicle
) because I like to see ahead and avoid hazards...

·
Registered
19,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: I hate ugly cars! (vduBen)

Quote, originally posted by vduBen »
I tend to stay away from big vehicles (I drive a Miata, so a Passat or Outback is a big vehicle
) because I like to see ahead and avoid hazards...

I've got a '90 Miata too, so I know how that feels. I lost my car behind a Z3 in a parking lot.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts

Quote »
Do you find yourself following certain cars on the highway simply because they are attractive, or in some way, relaxing to follow?

it is relaxing to follow any non-suv/truck... I hate driving behind tall vehicles because i can't see jack, and I'm relying on the other drivers cat-like reflexes and awareness...
I also hate following brake-happy morons on the highway... let's face it - - in normal traffic conditions, if you are hitting your brakes more than once every 5 minutes or so - YOU SUCK AT THE HIGHWAY....

·
Banned
4,095 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PsyberVW »

Most cars on the road are the suck. That includes the Japanese cars, the American cars and most German cars. They all look the same. You want excitement, follow a lunch truck, and smell the hot juicy patty on the grill, with the onions getting glazed gently by the licking of the flames. If its morning time, and you are behind a lunch truck, you can smell the eggs being folded gently into an cheese and ham omelette. You smell the sensual odor from the ham being grilled to perfection in its own juices.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Re: I hate ugly cars! (Volkswagenut)

Quote, originally posted by Volkswagenut »

eggs being folded gently into an cheese and ham omelette. You smell the sensual odor from the ham being grilled to perfection in its own juices.

....drool... *goes for breakfast*

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: I hate ugly cars! (rx7racr)

There is only one thing SUV's are good for on the hwy, DRAFTING! I love finding some ass in a big SUV going 80-85 getting 8-10 MPG and just get stuck to his bumper. I made it about 120 miles on like 2-3 gallons once.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Re: I hate ugly cars! (Varkias)

Did someone say ugly car? Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.

P.S. My GF's sister has one

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PsyberVW »
So the poll question is..

i love following other Porsches on the road. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

obin

·
Registered
13,898 Posts
Re: (lyledriver)

I have been guilty of drafting. You just have to stay alert for brake lights. And I have gotten better mileage while doing this. I also love to follow other Beetles. Just for the reason of same model togetherness. Corny I know.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Re: I hate ugly cars! (rx7racr)

Quote, originally posted by rx7racr »

if you are hitting your brakes more than once every 5 minutes or so - YOU SUCK AT THE HIGHWAY....

or you are driving very aggressively

·
Registered
741 Posts
Re: I hate ugly cars! (rempel)

Quote, originally posted by rempel »

or you are driving very aggressively

while sucking at it ;p

1 - 20 of 42 Posts